Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Role Call  (Read 15328 times)

Palemoon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/bekahm1
Re: Role Call
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 02:07:01 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;11532
I love Bobcat's course on Living Druidry! :) When my partner first moved out here to Pittsburgh, we spent his first year working through her course together, taking weekly walks through the local woods during dusk, watching the forest grow dark and then sitting in meditation together for a while with just one tiny tealight lit between us. I have very fond memories of that course as perhaps one of the best home-study courses in Druidry I've ever worked through (though I might be a bit biased since I was deeply in new puppy-love at the time ;)).

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on how you're finding it so far.

--Ali

I haven't gotten too far in yet however I am finding it to be very spiritual. I never used to like Emma Restall Orr's writing, but with time I found her to be very poetic and spiritual. Her work is a little bit darker and sometimes a slap across the face. But that isn't such a bad thing. :)

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 12:08:22 am »
Quote from: Palemoon;11420
I am a member of OBOD, however, I have put the course on hold for a while whilst I do the "Perennial Course in Living Druidry" by Emma Restall Orr, which so far I am finding very inspiring. :D:

I honestly dont think I'm going to join a grove maybe at some point but for the moment I'm fine as a solitary. Emma Restall Orr is Actually my main read right now... Nice to meet you by the way...From the US OF A xD :p
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Relic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 05:47:36 pm »
Quote from: Chakabe;557

"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!"

Well hello. =) I have already made my introduction on the intro thread, but I saw this one specifically for Druidry and got excited.
You can call me Relic. I'm 23 and live with my other half (I hate calling him my boyfriend! I guess you could call him my unofficial fiance. :) ) on a 360 acre ranch in California. He is a Chaos Magician, so we balance each other out perfectly with a mix of the old and the new. =)
I don't belong to an order or a grove, as I rather enjoy solitary practice. I follow the path as it suits my needs. I consider it a fabulous life philosophy, as I feel a deep love for nature. The forest around me always listens to me, calms me down, sends me to my "happy place".
In my practices, I throw in an occasional influence of Shamanism, Wicca and VooDoo. I mix them all together to get whatever results I would like, and so far it's worked out pretty well. ;)
I don't worship any particular deity, though there are a number who I have asked to assist me in the making of potions, charms or spells. Mostly, I rely on the wisdom of my spirit animals, the most prominent of which are Fox and Snake, though the Dove, Bat, Raccoon and Stag have also been kind enough to grace me. I quite enjoy herbology and crystal healing. Mostly crystals! I have always felt a strong connection with them, and carry them with me always.
I began on this path not very long ago, about two years ago? I considered myself agnostic for quite a long time, after I abandoned my Christian origins. I just didn't know which direction to go. But my long-time love of the metaphysical, the ancient and the natural lead me to where I am now.
I've never had more amazing experiences with the physical and spiritual realms than I have as a Druid. Though with all of my loosy-goosy practices, I guess you could call me a bit of a Chaos Druid? ;)

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 01:14:29 pm »
I do not know if I have the authority to make this thread but I am going to. If it gets stickied or deleted them so mote it be.

Either way going on the premise of the old role call this is the introduction thread.

"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!" - Collinsky (on the old forum's post found here for anyone who wants to look it over?!)

My post:
I'm 20.
I still live at home.
My house is centered in a 20 acre lot with surrounding woods and a clearing in the woods.
Onto the real reason I am here:
I came across the idea of druidry not a long time ago (6 months?!) First I wanted to learn witchcraft the from witchcraft I started studying herbs and so on (Did not get far...yet) But over this whole span of time something started pulling at me, you know...something told me that I needed to know more...that there was a great wealth of knowledge rooted in the very soil I stood on. Something Called. It was like the feeling of having someone pull the strings of your heart in a good way.

TO this day I still have that feeling but something is telling me to seek out druidry as not just a philosophy but a faith. Coupled with witchcraft I think it could become a great thing for my self and the people around me...is that not what druidry is about. Helping in any way possible?

So that is the basics, Merry meet :)

I started looking into Paganism about 6 months ago. It started with wicca/witchcraft but that didn't really go anywhere. Then I started looking at heathenry, which didn't really fit. Then I decided to not look to any one religion and really develope my own beliefs. (Basically, energy in everything and we touch/interact with that energy through doing the things we love, which, for me, is music). About a month (if that) ago I woke up one morning and thought, I'm going to look into Druidry. From the little reading I've done, I feel extremely comfortable with it. I am a member of the New Order of Druids and am currently taking their Bardic Course. I like this group because they allow me to learn Druidry in a structured way without spending money. It allows me freedom, flexibility and structure with nothing to lose!

If anyone has any other resources they want to recommend feel free to message me!

-Bluewave193

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 04:08:22 pm »
I do not know if I have the authority to make this thread but I am going to. If it gets stickied or deleted them so mote it be.

Either way going on the premise of the old role call this is the introduction thread.

"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!" - Collinsky

I'm Harry, and I'm 15. I live with my parents and a dog in an incredibly boring town in England. I hope to become a vet in the future. I'm interested in Norse mythology, Proto-Indo-European, politics, SCUBA diving, feminism (in the sense that means equality for all genders) and most other things, for a short while at least. Is that enough about me :p?

As for my path ... well, it's complicated. I'm an Ignostic, which means if you ask me if I believe in God/gods I will refuse to answer until you have defined which concept of God/gods you're working with. Just because my definition of 'god' is different to most people's and so calling myself either atheistic or theistic would be dishonest and carry assumptions that aren't true.

As a child I was baptised and sang in the church junior choir, though I never honestly believed in Christianity. I reasoned that there ought to be a goddess if there was a god, and I also celebrated the solstices and equinoxes - though I can't remember where that idea came from. The real kick start of my journey to Paganism (via hardcore New Atheism thanks to reading The God Delusion) was a Simpsons episode, or maybe it was the movie, I forget. Anyway, Homer leaves church and was confronted by someone offering to convert him to Wicca. I went and looked up the religion, and the rest is history! After finding Wicca too full of rules (and besides, it's initiatory and I'm an avowed solitary) for my liking - I really didn't get on with Christianity - I explored the wider world of (Neo-)Paganism and here I am now!

I've previously played* with Satanism (both theistic and non), Kemeticism, Heathenry and Chaos Magick, and I still have influences from all of them.

*Yes, I know religions aren't toys. By played I mean I figured out how well the religion's views fit mine, and how well its techniques work, in an experimental way.

I mostly wonder around aimlessly reading books of mythology and psychology and experimenting with magic and ritual to see what works. I'm interested in getting more structure in what I do and I'm considering joining ADF for their training programs once I'm 18, provided they're OK with my unorthodox beliefs

Wow, that became way longer than I was expecting.

Kara

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 12:28:06 am »

"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!" -

I
"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!" -

Hi!
I'm Kara, nice to meet you! I live in a tiny apartment in a big city in the lovely nation of Canada. I share my home with two cats and one very hardy little aloe vera plant.

I've spent a lot of time wandering around on the Pagan path, looking for a tradition that I clicked with, without a lot of success. Ironically, I think all that wandering is what lead me to Druidry. It took a long time for me to figure out what I valued, what I wanted in a practice, and what I needed in a spiritual path. About a year ago, after indulging my Virgo moon in a lengthy deliberation, I joined the ADF.

I surprised myself by enjoying it so much.

Druidry gives me a way to structure my path, and I have learnt that my natural tendency to procrastinate and I require structure to accomplish anything. It grounds me in regular practice, challenges me to step outside my comfort zone, and encourages my incredibly nerdy side by having essay requirements.  Most importantly, I think, is it gives me a way to honour the Ancestors, the Earth, and the Gods that I find meaningful and nourishing for my soul.

Anyways, I’ll cut myself off before I start to wax poetic.  

Cheers!
Kara

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 04:09:09 pm »
Let us know a little about you

Merry meet.

Here is what I put in my biography on my profile upon joining this site this evening:-

Since I was a small child I have felt very drawn to certain periods of pre-Christian history, including the time of the ancient Druids. I wonder if I lived a past life in that period (among others, possibly).

Obviously we know next to nothing about the ancient Druids themselves, due to the oral tradition among other things, but I have a purist streak and a sense that if it is not authentic then it is not meaningful to me (referring to, for example, ritual and so on). So I do not feel that I necessarily 'fit' into any of the modern paths (OBOD, ADF etc). And hence I am and probably always will be solitary.

But I do nevertheless yearn for a sense of community with others who have at least similar beliefs. And perhaps I can learn something too. I have also held, since I was a youngster, the belief that the nature is sacred and conservation of the environment is paramount, which is why I do still refer to myself as a Nep-Druid, and also in part this is for simplicity's sake.

And now to embellish upon the above a little.  Most importantly, let me be clear that I do not judge anyone who follows OBOD, ADF and so on - I respect the choice of everyone to follow a path which resonates with them, and it just so happens that none of those work for me personally.  In fact nothing I've come across so far really speaks to me, hence the solitary thing.

I'd love to keep looking and researching different paths and so on, but various factors in my life prevent me from being able to do so.  I work full time, and commute.  My job requires me to keep up to date with a huge amount of knowledge including some quite complex bits of legislation.  I suffer from a health condition which affects my concentration and memory, as well as physical energy levels.

I am 30 something, emphasis on the something.  I live with a partner and two cats who make me smile.

If anyone would like to know anything else about me, please feel free to ask.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 03:15:05 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;178997

I'm kicking myself for that typo.  Ah well, nevermind.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:36:29 pm by SunflowerP »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2015, 02:22:26 pm »

"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!" - Collinsky (on the old forum's post found here for anyone who wants to look it over?!)

Since this thread recently was reawaken, I post an answer, as well.

I am 45, and live on the countryside, not very far from a bigger city. During earlier phases of my life,
I have been an Agnostic, a Lutheran Christian and shortly explored Buddhism from an adherent's perspective (although I never formally took Refuge and the laypersons' vows).

I now explore paganism in two forms:
By Late Imperial Syncretic Graeco-Roman Religion I am enabled to practice pagan religion in a strict, formal, juridical and non-sentimental way which upholds the cosmic world order (Pax Deorum).
By Druidry, on the other hand, I am given the tools to practice pagan religion in an exploring, playful, experience-based, personal way of Nature spirituality which have been around since about the 1790's*, but still is finding new expressions. I am not affiliated to any order (yet, anyhow) but I read books by Ross Nichols, John Michael Greer and Emma Restall-Orr, and have found them useful (although Nichols' view on history was very much a child of its time, and modern research, espeicially Ronald Hutton's Blood and Mistletoe has done a great deal to correct these dated aspects of Nichols' thought. The philosophical aspects of Nichols' thought are still worthy of pondering, and we may thank him for the eight ubiquitous festivals of modern paganism).
I view both (late) Religio Romana and Druidry from a Platonic perspective.

Since my Lutheran days I also practice several forms of magic.

* I think of Iolo Morganwg's form of revival Druidry here.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:27:43 pm by RecycledBenedict »

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2015, 12:38:43 pm »
"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!

Been a religious seeker for many years now; formerly a Buddhist, Baha'i, cultor Deorum, Muslim, and Catholic in no particular order. Freshly minted member of Ár nDraíocht Féin; looking to practice neo-Druidry from my own unique and soft polytheist (although I know ADF is rather hard polytheist, institutionally-speaking) perspective.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Religion: Celtic Shamanic Wicca, currently studing Druidry and I'm in OBOD.
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 06:27:47 am »

"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!

I'm 40 and my path is Celtic Shamanic Wicca and I live in a city.  I was in a coven for a decade, but it dissolved quite recently, and I've learned many things and I loved it.  What interests me to Wicca is the spiritual aspect of it, but quite a few it's the magical aspect of it.  I've had some interest into druidry for their spiritual aspect and I've decided to get into OBOD and get their bardic course because their tradition is more inclusive for those like me happy in their path, but want to add and learn a new layer to their current path.

At least in druidry I won't feel like an outsider because I don't do much magic.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:29:05 am by Nothingness »

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 09:34:21 am »

I'm Brian (njsquarebear). I'm a Gay man in Metro-NYC.  I just turned 59 the beginning of the month, and definitely am feeling my age physically (significant walking disability) and mentally (with the death of 3 Rock legends in the last 2 months).

I grew up Christian in a mainstream Dutch Reformed (RCA) church, where I was very active in children's and youth activities.  As a H.S. student I devoured the magazine "Man, Myth & Magic" (this was the early 1970s).  I also subscribed to Circle Network News when it was a newspaper! LOL  I experimented with Wicca while still being Christian, but other than reading "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler, I was pretty fluffy-bunny I suppose!

At 19, I moved to NYC, came out as 'Gay' but also gave up any type of organized religion.  I would have to say that I became more interested LGBT consciousness-raising, community building, and activism... and having lots of sex, during my 20s and 30s.  That said I did visit the Magickal Childe store frequently, as it was totally cool and mysterious and odd, with interesting people and books.

In my 40s I felt a calling to return to the 'Church' and joined an extremely progressive, well-known, social-justice-oriented UCC congregation in Manhattan.  I became very involved in their small group Adult Christian Education program.  I would say since 1997 when I joined the church I've led over 25 groups/courses by now.

At present (for the last 2-3 years) I've progressed further to the 'left' and can really no longer define myself as a 'Christian' (mostly because that word has been so thoroughly tainted by the 'Religious and Political Right-Wing').  I also have a major problem with the empire-building and the 'business'-building of Christianity and its churches (how it is fueled by money and power).

THAT SAID, I still consider myself a follower (as best I can) of Jesus and both his social-justice teachings and benevolence towards the poor and disenfranchised.  When it comes to things 'Christian' I am still very interested/involved with "Liberation Theologies" (esp. Queer, Black, Latino, Feminist and Native-American), as well as mystical side of Jesus (the Christ), Gnosticism, saints, church architecture/art/ritual and Celtic Christianity.  I'm fascinated by the life that monks led/lead.

I'm definitely on a path to trying to connect more fully to the 'Divine Mystery' or 'ground of our being' as its been referred to.  Politically, I am very much a hard polytheist (I believe the world would be probably better with more recognized Gods/Goddesses - especially if religion could be disconnected from 'nation-building' and domination.

Spiritually, I am on - I believe - a path toward Druidism.  I've been a member of ADF twice over the past 2-1/2 years, and twice have let my membership lapse.  I've met the local folks who are very nice, but because of my slight 'disability' with standing/walking I've not attended any rituals, yet.  I hope with warmer weather in March or April will allow me to become active in the local grove, as well as get involved in a discussion-learning group.  I don't think that I can ever fully embrace Druidism unless I get involved in a 'real' face-to-face community.  (I sorta have this 'love/hate relationship' with online forums... there are a lot of really good knowledgeable people who post, but also a lot of annoying opinionated 'know-it-all's... then again it could just be my frame of mind at certain times.)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably become a member of a UUA congregation. as I have a real openness and desire to learn about all religious paths.  As far as Druidism, I've just been doing a whole lot of reading - mainly ADF-recommended books.  I do have an altar, but at present use it more as a place for meditation, as opposed to worshiping the Gods, Ancestors and Nature Spirits.  I have read about, but not found a hearth culture(s) yet.  I'm drawn to Celtic, Anglo-Saxon and Germanic cultures because of my ancestors... but then also find Norse and Hellenic peoples fascinating to explore as well.  I don't like the idea of being eclectic (it makes me feel disorganized spiritually!)... likewise, I really need to buckle-down and choose a Druidry 'curriculum' to study, think about and write about, as that will be only way I know that I feel more connected to Druidism as a philosophical and religious path.
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 11:54:43 am »
Quote from: Morag;758
I'm Morag, I'm 24, and I am and always will be a Witch, first and foremost. I'm working on becoming a Druidic Witch and no I have no idea what that means.
Just when you think you've got it all figured out, BOOM. GODS HAPPEN.

In the same boat, Morag. :)

I'm Merin, 30, Neo-pagan Druid and Witch - ADF'er on the Initiate's Path and Clergy Training Program.  I'm a poet and in general a creative person.

Tags: