Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Candle color assosiation  (Read 3266 times)

kellybeans

• View Profile
Candle color assosiation
« on: August 18, 2011, 04:12:47 am »
So I just started reading, and learning about "Candle magic", and I was curious about a certain color...or more so, what color I should use for a certain want/need....

I have suffered from an anxiety disorder for most of my life, sometimes it subsides, and sometimes I deal with it for a long time....anyway, I'm not sure what color to use in a ritual to rid me of this...or at least help. I've read indigo on some things, and gold on others...What do you guys think would be best? and maybe if you have any helpful tips/rituals/affirmations to help the process?

thanks so much...

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Candle color assosiation
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:11:00 am »
Quote from: kellybeans;13708

I have suffered from an anxiety disorder for most of my life, sometimes it subsides, and sometimes I deal with it for a long time....anyway, I'm not sure what color to use in a ritual to rid me of this...or at least help.

For a personal situation like this I would go with what feels right to you. (I'm not advocating 'feels right' for every spell, but if the point of this one is to effect YOU, then it seems appropriate.) What colors make you feel calm and peaceful? Pastels? Neutrals? If indigo has some personal association for you that makes you feel agitated or excited, it's not going to work in your spell no matter how well it has worked for other people.

You may want to look at scented candles too, if they don't offend you. One that is a calming color and pleasing scent may be doubly effective.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:19 am »
So I just started reading, and learning about "Candle magic", and I was curious about a certain color...or more so, what color I should use for a certain want/need....

I have suffered from an anxiety disorder for most of my life, sometimes it subsides, and sometimes I deal with it for a long time....anyway, I'm not sure what color to use in a ritual to rid me of this...or at least help. I've read indigo on some things, and gold on others...What do you guys think would be best? and maybe if you have any helpful tips/rituals/affirmations to help the process?

thanks so much...

Given how personal anxiety is, I think what's most important is that it's something that calms you down - if you associate blue with that awful teacher you had in third grade, it won't work!

and good luck, anxiety sucks.

kellybeans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:15:03 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;13770
Given how personal anxiety is, I think what's most important is that it's something that calms you down - if you associate blue with that awful teacher you had in third grade, it won't work!

and good luck, anxiety sucks.

Is there a certain color that is associated with getting rid of a mental disorder? or would an anxiety disorder and "mental disorder" not be in the same group? and I really couldn't say I have any BAD color associations further than just plain not liking a certain color personally...

Nimbus91

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:34:49 pm »
Quote from: kellybeans;13793
Is there a certain color that is associated with getting rid of a mental disorder? or would an anxiety disorder and "mental disorder" not be in the same group? and I really couldn't say I have any BAD color associations further than just plain not liking a certain color personally...

I'm not so sure about getting rid of specific disorders or diseases, but you could use black, or a color that you attribute with banishing. Or as others have suggested a calming color, maybe combine that with a ritual bath or shower too, incense and oils? That always helps me when I'm stressed, but then I'm not you, so it's more what sounds good to you. Good Luck! :)
"There will be rest, and sure stars shining. Over the roof-tops, crowned with snow. A reign of rest, serene forgetting, the music of stillness holy and low. I will make this world of my devising, out of a dream in my lonely mind, I shall find the crystal of peace,-above me stars I shall find." Sara Teasdale(1884-1933)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 01:58:44 pm »
Quote from: kellybeans;13793

Of course anxiety's a mental disorder, what else would it be?  *confused*

and personally I don't know what kind of candle you'd use - I do the "better living through chemistry" route and have xanax handy!  It's a brain chemistry problem - brain chemistry solution!

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 04:12:33 pm »

thanks so much...

I'm going to give you a little of my background.....and what I've done. I don't know if it will help you, but it shouldn't hurt.

I had my first anxiety attack about a month after I had my second child. After a few freak-out trips to the hospital that spanned about 3 months, they figured out that it was anxiety and I figured out that I wasn't dying. I was still nursing, so Xanax wasn't an option for me. They gave me a very low dose of Lorazepam/Ativan for "as needed" relief, but even that made me nervous because of the thought of my daughter ingesting any such type medication. (I did end up taking it a few times though.)

I was determined to figure out a way to deal with it non-medicinally. Here's what worked for me......

For two weeks, every night after my husband and kids were asleep, I would do this simple little ritual. I would light a green candle (a color I associate with) to represent myself. I would sit on the floor and stare into the flame. I'm not sure how long, just until I felt relaxed. I would then light a black candle (with thoughts and words of banishing the anxiety.) Then I would light a light blue candle (with thoughts and words about bringing peace into myself to replace the anxiety.) Then I would stare back into the green candle until I was finished sitting there.

I didn't necessarily use the same exact words each night, or sit there for the same exact amount of time. There were some nights I was exhausted and the whole process took about 5 minutes. (Those were the nights I didn't feel like doing it at all and just wanted to sleep.)

It's fairly simple. I don't know if this makes a difference to you, but this wasn't about asking a god/goddess to do something for me. It was about my "higher self" or what ever you want to call it taking control.......In essence me taking control of myself.

After the two weeks, whenever I felt stressed, or overly tired, I would have myself a little "refresher" ritual.

I haven't had an anxiety attack in over three years, and I now have 4 children. I can't promise you it was because of that ritual, but I can't promise it wasn't either. I hope this helps.

*note
I didn't actually light the candle with my thoughts and words (though that's how it reads.) I lit the candles with a good old fashioned match while thinking and saying those things. Sorry if I confused anybody.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:15:10 pm by hufflee »
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 04:28:00 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;14113

I was determined to figure out a way to deal with it non-medicinally. Here's what worked for me......

I should also note, that the colors of the candles I used aren't set in stone. I did what I thought would for me. Light blue is a color I find particularly soothing; and black, as was mentioned by an earlier post is the usual color for banishing work. If you feel compelled to use different colors, by all means, go ahead.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:00:19 pm »
What do you guys think would be best? and maybe if you have any helpful tips/rituals/affirmations to help the process?

thanks so much...

A few replies so far have suggested that you choose one that feels right for you, and that's probably the best choice. But if you just don't know or can't decide, I would personally suggest blue, pale green, pale purple, or of course, white. These are calming colors. Or maybe even a pastel yellow, because I would associate anxiety with the element of air, and I associate air with yellow. (this is just me, you may associate air with something else.) I hope this is helpful. But I will reiterate that your personal preference eclipses anything an outside opinion could offer. This ritual is for you, dear. =) I hope all goes well!
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

kellybeans

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:49:39 am »
Quote from: Nuri;14195
A few replies so far have suggested that you choose one that feels right for you, and that's probably the best choice. But if you just don't know or can't decide, I would personally suggest blue, pale green, pale purple, or of course, white. These are calming colors. Or maybe even a pastel yellow, because I would associate anxiety with the element of air, and I associate air with yellow. (this is just me, you may associate air with something else.) I hope this is helpful. But I will reiterate that your personal preference eclipses anything an outside opinion could offer. This ritual is for you, dear. =) I hope all goes well!

Thank you very much, everyone. And may I clarify...It's not exactly anxiety ATTACKS I have trouble with (although I've had a few in my life). It's an OCD/anxiety disorder called trichotillomania, and I am actually very embarrassed by it...But yes, it IS a form of anxiety/OCD...Just not the typical kind you'd picture...

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:31 am »
Quote from: Nuri;14195

I also equate air with yellow :)

Amy_lewis_143

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:55:54 pm »
What do you guys think would be best? and maybe if you have any helpful tips/rituals/affirmations to help the process?

thanks so much...

There are many different opinions on this, like what people think different colors mean. My advice to you would be to use your intuition to decide which colors would be best for you. If it were me, I'd look into each color individually and think about what each one meant to me. Then from this, select which color could benefit you the most. Good luck =)

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:40 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;14258

It's funny, but of all the colors associated with the different elements, yellow for air is the one I have the hardest time with. I always think of air as blue. But, of course, water is also blue so there has to be a difference. I guess if the colors were not more or less traditional, I would choose orange-red for fire, brown or olive green for earth, blue-green for water, pale blue for air and I would stick to white for aether.

As for other things... I love green so I tend to choose variations of that color for most things, but I do think it makes sense for money -- at least if you are a US citizen since we use "greenbacks". I would also think of metallics like silver, gold and copper for obvious reasons.

For calming, I would choose a cool pastel like very pale blue, lavender or even a light pink. Interestingly, pink is proven to be so calming that it is often used in holding tanks for prisoners (and in the visiting teams locker rooms for some professional football teams!). I even heard of a sheriff somewhere (I think it was in Texas) who insists upon dressing his prisoners in pink underwear to keep them quiet. :)

Of course, pink and red are also the colors of love -- one rather prissy and pure, the other for passion and lust.

Black is always the color of darkness and night for me, as white is for sun and daylight.

I associate yellow and orange with heat, so would use those where passion and fire would seem appropriate -- perhaps to gain energy or drive toward a goal.

Anyway, just my personal thoughts about color!

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:13 pm »
Quote from: NatureMade;15848
It's funny, but of all the colors associated with the different elements, yellow for air is the one I have the hardest time with. I always think of air as blue. But, of course, water is also blue so there has to be a difference.

I've always assumed they were trying to use the primary colors up rather than really thinking about "what color is this element REALLY?" they thought more about "what element does this primary color most resemble?"  Correspondences don't fit into neat little categories. I think a few people have said in the past, "Don't mistake the map for the territory."  If I draw a map and you draw a map of the same area that we have both explored in depth, we're going to point out different things on the map and perhaps symbolize key topographical areas in different ways.  Is either one of us wrong?

The way I see it, as long as you have a reason that makes sense and can be explained in actual words (because words bring thoughts into the physical realm) then you're on the right track. The way you explained your color correspondences makes perfect sense, although I might choose differently.  However, a group working together need to agree on symbolism and why, so it helps to be flexible and the system needs to make sense to everyone involved.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 10:44:04 am »
Quote from: hufflee;14258

yay. =) I was a bit afraid someone would be like, Nuri, you're an idiot. =)
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Tags: