Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Just out of curiosity  (Read 6060 times)

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Just out of curiosity....
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:59 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;167529
This. Princess, I'd listen to Micheal. He's actually an initiated Wiccan 3rd Degree Priest in the Alexandrian Tradition, so he really does know stuff you won't find in any books. If you want to know real Wicca, you need to talk to someone like him.

Thanks, however I must mention that although I'm an initiated priest, I haven't reached 3rd degree yet. Every coven is different,  but in our line specifically that takes quite a while.
Semper Fidelis

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 10:12:37 am »
Quote from: Micheál;167539
Thanks, however I must mention that although I'm an initiated priest, I haven't reached 3rd degree yet. Every coven is different,  but in our line specifically that takes quite a while.
Ah. I was mistaken. I thought I remembered you stating that you had reached 3rd degree in your first coven.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 10:39:59 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;167541
Ah. I was mistaken. I thought I remembered you stating that you had reached 3rd degree in your first coven.

No not yet. The 3rd degree with us is usually only given to those that are about to hive that have lead outer court neophyte circles in addition to inner court circles for a couole years. Though there's plans of me starting one up here in Northern Ireland where there aren't any, it'll still be a good few years until I'm up for 3rd....which I don't mind at all given the high degree of responsibility :eek:
Semper Fidelis

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 06:53:05 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;167484
Don't feel too bad, because SRW couldn't portray Wicca in that intro because she's not Wiccan. Anything you're able to read about Wicca is only a fraction of what it entails because it's traditionally an initiatory mystery tradition. Which flaws do you think it contains?

Well going on most of the sources I've looked into, it's just too watered down now. Also I question the 3-fold law and not intentionally harming people. I agree with that to some extent but sometimes harm needs to be done to get a point across, also just because a spell seems harmless doesn't mean that when the floodgates open that it stays that way. Also true magick is neither black or white, it's a mix.
PrincessKLS

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 07:00:33 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;167565
Well going on most of the sources I've looked into, it's just too watered down now. Also I question the 3-fold law and not intentionally harming people. I agree with that to some extent but sometimes harm needs to be done to get a point across, also just because a spell seems harmless doesn't mean that when the floodgates open that it stays that way. Also true magick is neither black or white, it's a mix.

The fact that some - or even many - books present it in a watered-down way, does not affect the practices of those who don't water it down.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 07:33:25 pm »

Find.

Better.

Sources.

Seriously. This is getting ridiculous.

If your takeaway from what you've been reading is that Wicca is watered down, then not only are the sources you've been consulting a steaming pile of crap* but you also might want to spend some time on refreshing your research skills. I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm saying it because it's not a skill people are born with and not one you can learn once and be done with it.

What I think you've got on your hands is a really bad case of confusing Neo-Wicca and Wicca. They are not really interchangeable and it's not just a matter of hair-splitting semantics. Amazingly enough, words mean things.

* Just because a book has nicely designed cover, is typeset well, and/or the author uses an authoritative tone doesn't make a source good. What's more, not all well-known authors are capable researchers. Some doesn't even do basic fact-checking.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 03:41:54 am »

Which sources have you used so far? The threefold "law," and Rede aren't exactly laws, and were later additions to the Craft that many choose not to adhere to. What I do doesn't resemble what sources like SRW and Scott Cunningham wrote about at all. This is what is confusing when big publishers want to tag the label "Wicca" on everything.
Semper Fidelis

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 03:58:56 am »

I don't think you want to be Wiccan, and as nobody's forcing you to be...I'd advise that you leave it alone instead of continue to try to make it into something that it's not.

There are better sources than the ones that you've looked into, but I think what you really want is magic powers that aren't bound to any moral code.

So, here's a link to a magic course that I think will suit you better.

Q. Which tradition of witchcraft does this course teach? Druidry, shamanism, voodoo, etc.?
A. This course is all-purpose. What is explained within is the skeletal core of energy manipulation, gathered from several faiths and stripped of the usual meanderings and religious trappings (although, belief in a soul is somewhat helpful). It’s left to you to decide where your religion fits in.

I hope that helps. Also, in my opinion magic is octarine.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

ciaofornow

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 09:48:38 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;145396
What's Hoodoo's stance and rules casting love spells or spells in general? Is it similar to Wicca or neo-pagan (fluffy bunny) rules?

In my experience it really depends on how you look at it. There are love spells, they are a part of Hoodoo, but not everyone does them. I've heard of many practitioners stating clearly that they won't do love spells for people. So I think it's an individual thing.

Tags: