Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Hello from the North East!  (Read 1283 times)

Bottle Roket

Hello from the North East!
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:47:23 pm »
Hello everyone!
I thought I would at least make one post, as I tend to just kind of lurk and never do much talking/input on forums. I would like to change that somewhat.

Anyways, a bit about myself! It's a tad confusing, I guess.

I "dabbled" in learning about the occult on and off during high school, but never did much about it. I wasn't brought up religious, but I was aware of all types of different paths and whatnot because my mother liked to teach me about different cultures and aspects of the world, etcetc. But for two years I researched Islam very seriously and started incorporating it's beliefs and values and traditions into my life over time and finally took my shahadah in October of last year. At that time I was very nervous and unsure but I met amazing people who were super supportive and I was close to a huge community of Muslims so I went ahead and did it. This was an amazing time for me and  then I moved away and I just feel very distant and not as much as intune with it as I used too.

Though I still love Islam (most of it, it's not perfect), I have been feeling this huge pull towards learning more occult stuff. Which I feel really guilty for because I know just reading/learning about this stuff is pretty forbidden. But there are aspects of me that are already pretty looked down upon, so part of me doesn't feel that guilty because I know that most Muslims if they knew these things would probably cast me out.

I've been researching/wanting to research more about stuff like the Qabalah (is that right?), Ceremonial Magic, those sorts of things really interest me. I have always had a love for the Norse pantheon since I was younger, and even tried to research Heathenry a bit and was super into that. But I'm not sure if that stuff is very mix friendly? I'm pretty much just trying to find my ground and am really in a huge research period right now because I do not feel as good and safe and happy in my spiritual realm as I know I could be and I need to open my mind up a bit and start learning again. (Also to actually be a part of a community, I've always wanted that. Even just online!) So I'm always open to suggestions to paths/ideas to look into because even though I've done a lot of research myself I've avoided a lot because I never know what's reliable and good to read and what's not. If that makes any sense.

I've been trying to find really reliable sources that aren't too new-agey but also not super old and intense that someone who knows maybe like 0.0000004% of general stuff can understand or start out on. Idk lol this was probably too long for anyone to want to read!!

But hello from a very nervous and confused new person!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:49:15 pm by Bottle Roket »

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: Hello from the North East!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:51:27 am »
Quote from: Bottle Roket;145242
Hello everyone!
I thought I would at least make one post, as I tend to just kind of lurk and never do much talking/input on forums. I would like to change that somewhat.

I "dabbled" in learning about the occult on and off during high school, but never did much about it. I wasn't brought up religious, but I was aware of all types of different paths and whatnot because my mother liked to teach me about different cultures and aspects of the world, etcetc. But for two years I researched Islam very seriously and started incorporating it's beliefs and values and traditions into my life over time and finally took my shahadah in October of last year. At that time I was very nervous and unsure but I met amazing people who were super supportive and I was close to a huge community of Muslims so I went ahead and did it. This was an amazing time for me and  then I moved away and I just feel very distant and not as much as intune with it as I used too.

Though I still love Islam (most of it, it's not perfect), I have been feeling this huge pull towards learning more occult stuff. Which I feel really guilty for because I know just reading/learning about this stuff is pretty forbidden. But there are aspects of me that are already pretty looked down upon, so part of me doesn't feel that guilty because I know that most Muslims if they knew these things would probably cast me out.

I've been researching/wanting to research more about stuff like the Qabalah (is that right?), Ceremonial Magic, those sorts of things really interest me. I have always had a love for the Norse pantheon since I was younger, and even tried to research Heathenry a bit and was super into that. But I'm not sure if that stuff is very mix friendly? I'm pretty much just trying to find my ground and am really in a huge research period right now because I do not feel as good and safe and happy in my spiritual realm as I know I could be and I need to open my mind up a bit and start learning again. (Also to actually be a part of a community, I've always wanted that. Even just online!) So I'm always open to suggestions to paths/ideas to look into because even though I've done a lot of research myself I've avoided a lot because I never know what's reliable and good to read and what's not. If that makes any sense.

I've been trying to find really reliable sources that aren't too new-agey but also not super old and intense that someone who knows maybe like 0.0000004% of general stuff can understand or start out on. Idk lol this was probably too long for anyone to want to read!!

First, welcome to TC! Always nice to find another east-coaster (I'm from CT).

Second, I don't know much about Islam, but I'm sure someone on here is some kind of Muslim/pagan cross. Or at least knows where to find some reliable information.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Bottle Roket

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:21:49 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;145247
First, welcome to TC! Always nice to find another east-coaster (I'm from CT).

Second, I don't know much about Islam, but I'm sure someone on here is some kind of Muslim/pagan cross. Or at least knows where to find some reliable information.

I'm not suuuper far north, I'm probably more mid-east actually :x I'm in MD!

I know about Sufism, and some mysticism that stems from that, but I'm not sure if it's something I'm really able to do. A lot of the times when I tell people online that I am Muslim and sort of wandering off researching the occult they try and tell me a lot of stuff that is steeped in Middle Eastern culture or something that is mostly available only in Arabic (I don't speak a lick of it really). But other than that, anything sort of pagan like is deemed pretty not-okay in any way from what I've been learning.

There are a lot of beliefs/certain traditions that I really would like to keep because I know they are sort of universal (like fasting), and also speak to me. But honestly, if anyone has anything they'd like to share with me I am aaaaall ears. I'm in a big sponge-like learning stage right now, haha.

Arthurine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:37:26 am »
Quote from: Bottle Roket;145267
I'm not suuuper far north, I'm probably more mid-east actually :x I'm in MD!

I know about Sufism, and some mysticism that stems from that, but I'm not sure if it's something I'm really able to do. A lot of the times when I tell people online that I am Muslim and sort of wandering off researching the occult they try and tell me a lot of stuff that is steeped in Middle Eastern culture or something that is mostly available only in Arabic (I don't speak a lick of it really). But other than that, anything sort of pagan like is deemed pretty not-okay in any way from what I've been learning.

There are a lot of beliefs/certain traditions that I really would like to keep because I know they are sort of universal (like fasting), and also speak to me. But honestly, if anyone has anything they'd like to share with me I am aaaaall ears. I'm in a big sponge-like learning stage right now, haha.

Hey, and welcome to TC! The sponge stage can be really amazing and also really frightening, but you come out on the other side feeling so much better about your life. Or at least I did. Your avatar is lovely, by the way!

With any luck, I\'ll grow up to be Nanny Ogg.    

Bottle Roket

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:53:03 pm »
Quote from: Arthurine;145274
Hey, and welcome to TC! The sponge stage can be really amazing and also really frightening, but you come out on the other side feeling so much better about your life. Or at least I did. Your avatar is lovely, by the way!

Hello, thank you! I'm really nervous and excited to sort of start learning and delving into topics. I hope I have the same ending! And thank you! I need to find the artist again so I can credit them properly :x I love this picture.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:16:47 pm »

Hi, welcome to TC!! I too love your avatar. :) Have fun, ya hear?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:42 pm »
Hello everyone!

Greetings and welcome!
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Aerinfridh

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:37:36 am »
Hello everyone!

Welcome to TC!

Bottle Roket

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 03:25:17 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;145308
Hi, welcome to TC!! I too love your avatar. :) Have fun, ya hear?

Thank you! I hope I will. And thank you to everyone else as well :3

Tags: