Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Druidry and Service  (Read 2008 times)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Druidry and Service
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:13:16 pm »
Bit of a riff on Sage's original post on the old board regarding Druidry and Volunteerism. I thought it might be of use to expand the definition beyond volunteering to service. By service I mean things like answering questions on the board, leading a good example for peers at school, work etc, community service like volunteering and so on.

What aspect does service play in your Druidry if any?

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Druidry and Service
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:46:06 am »
Quote from: Asch;553

For myself service means literally serving the community, which community is debatable. I see participating on CT as strengthening the community here, studying my DP materials and working to complete it is a service to the ADF community because ideally with the knowledge I gain I can then act to better serve and expand it. So on and so forth.

Additionally I hope to begin volunteering locally once my personal situation improves some. Both for the 'feel good' factor as well as getting off my butt and literally working for the causes and movements I believe in (LGBT equality, environmental protection and education, conservation etc). Because, while it is popular and exciting to adhere to these things taking physical action, spending time, effort, and money on them, is a certain and sure commitment to my community and the ways I would like to see it change and grow.

It's thought that in times past the Druids were leaders, teachers, and intellectuals in their society/ies. I may not be an intellectual but I can certainly lead and hope to teach :)

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Druidry and Service
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:16:57 pm »
Quote from: Asch;553
Bit of a riff on Sage's original post on the old board regarding Druidry and Volunteerism. I thought it might be of use to expand the definition beyond volunteering to service. By service I mean things like answering questions on the board, leading a good example for peers at school, work etc, community service like volunteering and so on.

How did I miss this thread?  I love this question.  Service and service to the community plays a big role in my practice/beliefs.  I think as modern Druids one way to serve the community is through volunteering to help the less fortunate, clean up parks, participate in guarding watersheds, etc.  I think the key here is to be active.  While it is important to donate financially, I think the best benefit can be gained through the reciprocity of actually being there.  In my experience, doing service for the community makes me feel closer to God (and by God, I mean whatever God happened to be at that point in my life) and for me that was the best benefit.  Also, knowing that you have made a difference in someone's life brings much joy to you.  

And by participating in this way, you are building and strengthening the community, which is essentially the role of a Druid.

Tags: