Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: What's growing?  (Read 7916 times)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
What's growing?
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:46 am »
As of today, I have 26 tomato sprouts and 9 onions, and my peppers should be coming up soon. What's growing in your garden?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:37:25 am by RandallS »
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

thyme

• View Profile
Re: What's growing?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:35:51 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;144222
As of today, I have 26 tomato sprouts and 9 onions, and my peppers should be coming up soon. What's growing in your garden?

Weeds and a couple of daffodils.  I've planted strawberries and asparagus. Last year's thyme is growing, and so is the sage, rosemary and lavender
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:37:26 am by thyme »

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:47:19 am »

Not much yet. We've just picked up some compost to top up the beds before we plant winter veg.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:48:08 am »

Nothing. We moved this winter so I'm starting from scratch in a much bigger yard.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:30:10 pm »

Daffodils and tiny grape hyacinths.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:38:25 am »

Things I have learned: Don't plant the entire pack of seeds. Because as sure as you don't have space for all of the plants, they will ALL SPROUT. As of today, I have over a hundred tomatoes sprouted, nearly 30 onions, and half a dozen bell peppers (the onions just started sprouting maybe yesterday, and the peppers started today). And these will be going on the small balcony of my one bedroom apartment. So I'm going to be pimping out plants left, right, and center this season.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 03:18:35 am »

3 potted amaryllis, 2 potted poinsettias, and 2 potted roses. That's my garden of houseplants!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 03:49:24 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;144363
3 potted amaryllis, 2 potted poinsettias, and 2 potted roses. That's my garden of houseplants!

Haven't had a chance to put in vegetables yet, but the strawberry plants (that were here when I arrived) have flowers on them! The trees (apple, Japanese maple, wild cherry I think) are losing their blossom, where they had it, and getting leaves. I've got tulips coming up that I didn't know were there, which is good timing, as the daffodils and hyacinths are dying off now. Shrubs are getting flowers and leaves, and the wilder areas are covered in blue flowers that the bees are enjoying.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 04:05:20 am »

On my windowsill 7 tomato seedlings , 3 butternut squash plants grown from seed, 1 chili pepper plant with 2 chilies started that from seed back in december.
In the garden my trees birch, willow, alder and rowan have new leaves. I have a seedling tree birch and rowan in 2 pots on the patio area. Herbs are re-growing from being dormant
melissa, mugwort, mint, sage, rosemary, marjoram, sweet woodruff planted those years ago. Some calendula survived winter which was mild so a few calendula flowers in bloom.
Still have some seeds to plant of other plants.:)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:05:57 am by Nerys53 »

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:02:55 am »

Things are just getting started around here. There are buds on the apple tree. I've got daffodils, hyacinth, tulips and peonies poking up, buds on the lilac, and there is some new growth just starting to sprout on a few of the rose bushes. I found what looks to be the beginnings of a very large thistle, which is cool with me because they're one of my favorites.

Also, weeds. Lots and lots of weeds. Nobody did any maintenance in the beds last summer while I was gone. The weeds got really out of control, so I'll be fighting them constantly this year.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 08:34:42 am »

We just planted our two tomato plants and our banana pepper in pots yesterday.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 09:30:05 am »

Very little, unfortunately. I'm still waiting for the remainder of the harsh winter to clear up in my area before I can plant anything (not that it matters much since I have quite the black thumb :ashamed:)

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 09:59:37 am »

I'm putting potatoes in this weekend.  Poppies are coming up.  I still have a ton of compost to move around, though...

Brina

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:42:01 am »

I'm still feeling the last few days of winter so not too much is growing. My Lilac bush is starting to bud and my lavender and sage are starting to come back so there is hope.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 02:46:27 pm »

I was actually gonna go out and do some work in the garden to prepare it for whatever I'm going to grow. Maybe some legumes, because I let the soil get terrible and it needs some nitrogen...
Any suggestions for Northern California stuff? I'm more used to Midwest growing patterns, so I'm a little lost...
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Tags: