Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: What's growing?  (Read 7917 times)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: What's growing?
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:03 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;150267
Some fresh peas almost ready for harvest. Tomato plants have scanty flowers no fruits yet. I think snails ate all the lettuce seedlings.
The butternut pumkins have some small ones growing.

Harvest today 1 cup fresh peas.:)

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2014, 05:48:27 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;150872
Harvest today 1 cup fresh peas.:)

I'm tantalizingly close to potatoes.  I'm really looking forward to the yellow Finns.  For my first dish, I'm planning to serve them with cooked greens and the pickled dandelion buds I made this spring.

Brina
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:48:44 pm by yewberry »

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2014, 05:56:09 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;150957
I'm tantalizingly close to potatoes.  I'm really looking forward to the yellow Finns.  For my first dish, I'm planning to serve them with cooked greens and the pickled dandelion buds I made this spring.

Brina

I made up an herb pot with sage, chives and cilantro ... though I hear cilantro doesn't do well in pots, and my one was already kind of ratty when I got it from my mom's garden. Here's hoping ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2014, 06:00:13 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;150958
I made up an herb pot with sage, chives and cilantro ... though I hear cilantro doesn't do well in pots, and my one was already kind of ratty when I got it from my mom's garden. Here's hoping ...

In my experience, cilantro does fine in pots if it gets enough water and the pot is deep enough (cilantro has a long central taproot, like a lot of members of the celery family).  It tends to bolt when it gets too dry/stressed, so make sure to soak the pot in a pan of water periodically so it can take up lots of moisture.

Also, depending on where you are, it might be a little too warm for it.  It prefers cool weather.

Brina

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2014, 07:02:42 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;150960
In my experience, cilantro does fine in pots if it gets enough water and the pot is deep enough (cilantro has a long central taproot, like a lot of members of the celery family).  It tends to bolt when it gets too dry/stressed, so make sure to soak the pot in a pan of water periodically so it can take up lots of moisture.

Also, depending on where you are, it might be a little too warm for it.  It prefers cool weather.

Brina

Thanks for the advice! I found a bunch of cilantro at the grocery store today, with the roots still on, so I put some of it in a glass of water as a backup. My pot is about 6" deep so I think it will do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 04:27:54 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;151032
Thanks for the advice! I found a bunch of cilantro at the grocery store today, with the roots still on, so I put some of it in a glass of water as a backup. My pot is about 6" deep so I think it will do.

My strawberries (which were the only real produce I attempted this year) have had a fantastic crop. I'll be making a lot of jam this weekend.

I've also had a feverfew plant appear out of nowhere, apparently starting as a weed. I'm delighted because I love feverfew, and a plant that appeared from the wild and chose me is a special thing. :)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2014, 01:30:27 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;151103
My strawberries (which were the only real produce I attempted this year) have had a fantastic crop. I'll be making a lot of jam this weekend.

I've also had a feverfew plant appear out of nowhere, apparently starting as a weed. I'm delighted because I love feverfew, and a plant that appeared from the wild and chose me is a special thing. :)

Awesome!

Uhh, I've got tomatoes, eggplant, cucumber, arugula, and squash. And then I ended up growing flowers (devotional garden) so I've got lavender and yarrow and sage and something else. I don't know off the top of my head (which is shameful cuz I'm out watering them all the time...it's so hot) and it's dark so I can't check. There were gonna be morning glories but either I did something wrong or the seeds were too old.

I kinda miss my old garden. There was amaranth, man. Amaranth and quinoa and Swiss chard. Oh well.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Tags: