Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: Fairy Garden?  (Read 2542 times)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Fairy Garden?
« on: April 01, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »
So I've got a chunk of front yard that's about 4x8' and I was thinking of making it into a spiritual/magical/maybe fairy garden. Problem is that I have no idea where to start in terms of plants. Ideas?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:39:27 am by RandallS »
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Fairy Garden?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:40:41 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;144203
So I've got a chunk of front yard that's about 4x8' and I was thinking of making it into a spiritual/magical/maybe fairy garden. Problem is that I have no idea where to start in terms of plants. Ideas?

I've always wanted a fairy garden. My mom has one in her yard, I forget everything that is in it but I know she has Irish moss and primroses.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:03:24 pm »

I know they like foxgloves, but as they're poisonous, you may want to assess the risks that could come with that...
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:06:06 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;144209
I know they like foxgloves, but as they're poisonous, you may want to assess the risks that could come with that...

I'm pretty sure I've had foxglove in another part of my garden, so that could easily be done again.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:11:24 pm »

I've had very good luck with moss roses (portulaca), mini wormwood (artemesia), blue star creeper, Corsican mint, Scotch moss, and elfin thyme in small-scale fairy gardens.  For larger plots - lambsear, sweet woodruff, full size wormwood, yarrow, foxglove, heliotrope, lavender, snapdragons, thyme, rosemary, pansies and roses.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 09:42:26 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;144215
I've had very good luck with moss roses (portulaca), mini wormwood (artemesia), blue star creeper, Corsican mint, Scotch moss, and elfin thyme in small-scale fairy gardens.  For larger plots - lambsear, sweet woodruff, full size wormwood, yarrow, foxglove, heliotrope, lavender, snapdragons, thyme, rosemary, pansies and roses.

Thanks, that's quite the list. Is Scotch moss different from Irish moss? Ultimately I'd like to have a miniature potted on the other side of my porch in addition to the larger, permanent plot.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:17:50 am »

I'd say it's different depending on where you live.  Personally, I'd want to honor the "locals".  I wouldn't plant English country flowers in the desert.

Brina

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;144228
I'd say it's different depending on where you live.  Personally, I'd want to honor the "locals".  I wouldn't plant English country flowers in the desert.

Brina

Good point. Guess I should've mentioned I'm in south western Connecticut. I believe it's hardiness zone 6, if that's at all useful.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;144273
Good point. Guess I should've mentioned I'm in south western Connecticut. I believe it's hardiness zone 6, if that's at all useful.

So we've decided on butterfly nectar and caterpillar host plants in addition to whatever fairy plants listed here that I can get my hands on. One thing I've read is that "butterfly houses" are a common thing but not often used, and that they prefer trees, logs, shrubs, or other natural settings for shelter.

Anyone have experience with butterflies using the fairy houses if they're made of natural flora?

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:01:59 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;144220
Thanks, that's quite the list. Is Scotch moss different from Irish moss? Ultimately I'd like to have a miniature potted on the other side of my porch in addition to the larger, permanent plot.

IIRC, Scotch moss is a cultivar of Irish moss.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 05:07:45 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;144298
IIRC, Scotch moss is a cultivar of Irish moss.

I have no idea if this will work. But I took a picture of the plot, and again with the few plants I bought today. No one had any of the plants you guys suggested or that attract butterflies. Apparently it's still too early in the year for anything other than pansies and a very small handful of other things.

Tags: