22 Nov 2014 @ 09:36 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan Witch
    Pronouns
    she/her/her

"Old World Magic" by Raven Grimassi

Has anyone else recently read this book? It was published fairly recently (2011) and I picked it up from a Barnes & Noble. Usually I don't find much there that I personally find reliable, but I did enjoy this book. I do not regard it as 100% accurate, the only way to go, man that's like the best book ever.... but he had some interesting points.

**Note: if you haven't read it, I'm about to delve into things from it that may not make sense! But if you have questions, I have the book right here, and I'll be happy to explain.

I particularly was intrigued by the Hallow concept, but this may simply be because I grew up in the woods, and that's where my heart lies. His Ash, Birch, and Willow system didn't really click with me, but that version of the Wheel of the Year really did. There's a few more things, like the mortar & pestle magic and such.

But I really wanted to get some other opinions on it. As far as the theory and philosophy goes, I try not to get too caught up in it because there's just SO MUCH information out there, each with different opinions. So I live in my happy little bubble and just let what is, be.

So any thoughts?
    "Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Journeyman Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Breeze will become famous soon enough Breeze's Avatar
    Last Online
    10 Aug 2015 @ 01:51 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Clann Bhride, Religious Witchcraft

Re: "Old World Magic" by Raven Grimassi

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaiiseSofia View Post
    Has anyone else recently read this book? It was published fairly recently (2011) and I picked it up from a Barnes & Noble. Usually I don't find much there that I personally find reliable, but I did enjoy this book. I do not regard it as 100% accurate, the only way to go, man that's like the best book ever.... but he had some interesting points.

**Note: if you haven't read it, I'm about to delve into things from it that may not make sense! But if you have questions, I have the book right here, and I'll be happy to explain.

I particularly was intrigued by the Hallow concept, but this may simply be because I grew up in the woods, and that's where my heart lies. His Ash, Birch, and Willow system didn't really click with me, but that version of the Wheel of the Year really did. There's a few more things, like the mortar & pestle magic and such.

But I really wanted to get some other opinions on it. As far as the theory and philosophy goes, I try not to get too caught up in it because there's just SO MUCH information out there, each with different opinions. So I live in my happy little bubble and just let what is, be.

So any thoughts?
    I bought it back when it came out. Honestly I didn't really care for it. I think my disappointment may have been because I felt it was mistitled. Rather than being "old world Witchcraft", most of the book talks about his Ash, Birch, and Willow tradition. I would agree that there are a couple of pieces of useful information scattered here and there. But for the price, I don't think those particular "pearls of wisdom" are worth it.

It's been a bit since I read it, so I can't remember the concepts regarding what he called the Hallow. If I remember right, when I read it, that concept read more as "I'm gonna take the Akasha concept from Cunningham, the Spirit concept from RavenWolf, throw 'em together and make it a little bit spookier". Admittedly, I could be remembering wrong. If you could sum it up maybe I can remember it better .

Staff Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch is a glorious beacon of light Emma Eldritch's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:23 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    I bought it back when it came out. Honestly I didn't really care for it. I think my disappointment may have been because I felt it was mistitled. Rather than being "old world Witchcraft", most of the book talks about his Ash, Birch, and Willow tradition.
    This! Seconded.
    (the artist formerly known as Mama Fortuna)
    Rock-n-Roll Witch - the blog
    in the violet hour to the violent sound - the tumblr

Journeyman Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AthenaiiseSofia is on a distinguished road AthenaiiseSofia's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Nov 2014 @ 09:36 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan Witch
    Pronouns
    she/her/her

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    I bought it back when it came out. Honestly I didn't really care for it. I think my disappointment may have been because I felt it was mistitled. Rather than being "old world Witchcraft", most of the book talks about his Ash, Birch, and Willow tradition. I would agree that there are a couple of pieces of useful information scattered here and there. But for the price, I don't think those particular "pearls of wisdom" are worth it.

It's been a bit since I read it, so I can't remember the concepts regarding what he called the Hallow. If I remember right, when I read it, that concept read more as "I'm gonna take the Akasha concept from Cunningham, the Spirit concept from RavenWolf, throw 'em together and make it a little bit spookier". Admittedly, I could be remembering wrong. If you could sum it up maybe I can remember it better .
    I do agree with you about the title. I didn't gather any new info about "Old World" anything other than the same stuff about strega that he'd written about in a previous book. I can't quite remember the name of it. Oh, and all that jazz about the Plant Spirits. I think that was supposed to be about Old World Witchcraft.

As far as the Hallow goes... (there was no index so I had to literally leaf through. Ugh that peeves me lol) I found it on page 91 where he writes: "Witches of the Old Ways draw power from the Hallow. This is a term for the deep center of the forest where primal sacredness exists." His wildly general use of the term "Old Ways" aside, I see now what you mean about him taking the Akasha and Spirit concepts and making them his own. It didn't click when I first read it. I think the Hallow concept speaks to me mainly because I grew up in the thick of the woods. That's my home, my safe place.

But anyway, I'm glad I posted this because I really had mixed feelings about it. I gathered very little from the book, other than the few things that struck a chord. The VERY FEW things lol. But I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one left scratching their head.
    "Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaiiseSofia View Post
    IAs far as the Hallow goes... (there was no index so I had to literally leaf through. Ugh that peeves me lol) I found it on page 91 where he writes: "Witches of the Old Ways draw power from the Hallow. This is a term for the deep center of the forest where primal sacredness exists."
    Hmm, that makes me wonder if he's been mistaking Robert Holdstock's fiction for accurate recountings of folklore. (Fiction: it can have many things that are witchily useful. 'Useful', however, should not be mistaken for 'traditional'.)

Sunflower
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Siren is on a distinguished road Siren's Avatar
    Last Online
    30 Aug 2016 @ 07:40 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Polytheist

Quote Originally Posted by SunflowerP View Post
    Hmm, that makes me wonder if he's been mistaking Robert Holdstock's fiction for accurate recountings of folklore. (Fiction: it can have many things that are witchily useful. 'Useful', however, should not be mistaken for 'traditional'.)

Sunflower

Oh, man. Such a good writer, though. (Holdstock, not Grimassi. I don't like Grimassi but that's a whole other can of worms.) Lavondyss in particular blew my mind.

+ Reply to Thread