collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Rune workings, The Rune Ing/Ingwaz  (Read 1803 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Rune workings, The Rune Ing/Ingwaz
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:26:30 am »
A short disclaimer: I don't work with the Norse pantheon, and they frankly don't seem terribly interested in me. I came to rune work through a gift from my parents, and my dad's love of Tolkien. I got my first set when I was a kid, because he saw it and thought it was SO COOL. "Hey look, it's runes! Just like on Thorin's map!" So now I have three sets, though I only use two, because the original set that my father gave me was of poor quality, and the runes are starting to crack and crumble. That set seems to depict the futhark. My other two sets (one of which was actually also a gift from my parents!) are apparently the Anglo-Saxon futhorc.

To get to the point, I have had good results communicating with my goddesses, especially my most mysterious goddess, The Virgin Mother. (Who seems to answer to a number of names, but mainly the Virgin Mary of Catholicism). One thing that seems interesting is that I have been drawing the rune Ing quite frequently. In fact, I seem to be drawing it every time!:eek:

I've looked up interpretations, and I'm not satisfied with the idea that Ing represents the tip of a penis. I'd like some more information on the symbolism of the runes themselves, but I've also heard the suggestion that Ing represents the vaginal opening, which is the symbolism I'm sticking with, since it's more meaningful to me. And besides, it just looks more like a vagina to me.;)

So I just want to ask for people's thoughts on the rune Ing or Ingwaz. (Since the runes I'm working with are Anglo-Saxon, thoughts on Ing specifically would be better). I have personally come to interpret it as a rune of initiations, of beginnings, and of coming to fruition. I've heard it referred to as the rune of "new beginnings," and my conception of it built off of this, and my vision of it as representing the vaginal opening - which to me means not just birth, but the fulfillment of creative processes.

Let me hear what you think!:)
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Solstice

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Rune workings, The Rune Ing/Ingwaz
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:15:06 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;141976
A short disclaimer: I don't work with the Norse pantheon, and they frankly don't seem terribly interested in me. I came to rune work through a gift from my parents, and my dad's love of Tolkien. I got my first set when I was a kid, because he saw it and thought it was SO COOL. "Hey look, it's runes! Just like on Thorin's map!" So now I have three sets, though I only use two, because the original set that my father gave me was of poor quality, and the runes are starting to crack and crumble. That set seems to depict the futhark. My other two sets (one of which was actually also a gift from my parents!) are apparently the Anglo-Saxon futhorc.

To get to the point, I have had good results communicating with my goddesses, especially my most mysterious goddess, The Virgin Mother. (Who seems to answer to a number of names, but mainly the Virgin Mary of Catholicism). One thing that seems interesting is that I have been drawing the rune Ing quite frequently. In fact, I seem to be drawing it every time!:eek:

I've looked up interpretations, and I'm not satisfied with the idea that Ing represents the tip of a penis. I'd like some more information on the symbolism of the runes themselves, but I've also heard the suggestion that Ing represents the vaginal opening, which is the symbolism I'm sticking with, since it's more meaningful to me. And besides, it just looks more like a vagina to me.;)

So I just want to ask for people's thoughts on the rune Ing or Ingwaz. (Since the runes I'm working with are Anglo-Saxon, thoughts on Ing specifically would be better). I have personally come to interpret it as a rune of initiations, of beginnings, and of coming to fruition. I've heard it referred to as the rune of "new beginnings," and my conception of it built off of this, and my vision of it as representing the vaginal opening - which to me means not just birth, but the fulfillment of creative processes.

Let me hear what you think!:)

Ingwaz, to me, is the chrysalis state before one transforms into a butterfly, or even more appropriately, the seed about to sprout. Ingwaz is a male fertility rune; its female counterpart is the rune Berkano, which is more suited for new beginnings. However, since they're both fertility runes, by extension, you could associate Ingwaz as something new about to hatch--though its energies are more about destroying one state (i.e the egg) to bring about something greater (i.e. the chick), whereas Berkano focuses more on the process of creation (birth).

Ingwaz is representative of that period of gestation, a time to store energy (or acorns for the winter), and to prepare for transformation. I can envision the rune as a hibernating bear leaving his cave feeling refreshed and rejuvenated come Springtime.

http://runesecrets.com/rune-meanings/inguz

Here's a bit more about the rune, though it's for the Elder Futhark. I haven't yet worked with Anglo-Saxon runes, unfortunately.

Though, I would suggest you look into the rune Berkano/Beorc, as it fits more closely with the interpretation you've given for Ingwaz/Ing.

Hope that helps! Ingwaz isn't really my rune of specialty. XD

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:39:08 am »
Quote from: Solstice;142018
Ingwaz, to me, is the chrysalis state before one transforms into a butterfly, or even more appropriately, the seed about to sprout. Ingwaz is a male fertility rune; its female counterpart is the rune Berkano, which is more suited for new beginnings. However, since they're both fertility runes, by extension, you could associate Ingwaz as something new about to hatch--though its energies are more about destroying one state (i.e the egg) to bring about something greater (i.e. the chick), whereas Berkano focuses more on the process of creation (birth).

Ingwaz is representative of that period of gestation, a time to store energy (or acorns for the winter), and to prepare for transformation. I can envision the rune as a hibernating bear leaving his cave feeling refreshed and rejuvenated come Springtime.

A period of gestation would make much sense. I just ask because I KEEP DRAWING IT.

The interpretation you give makes a great deal of sense, given a reading I got last night, where I drew Is, and then Os (ansuz). Which to me suggested a standstill, or plateau, in my spiritual endeavors, just before breakthrough.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Solstice

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:48:06 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;142026
A period of gestation would make much sense. I just ask because I KEEP DRAWING IT.

The interpretation you give makes a great deal of sense, given a reading I got last night, where I drew Is, and then Os (ansuz). Which to me suggested a standstill, or plateau, in my spiritual endeavors, just before breakthrough.

Oh yeah, I know how that is. One of the reasons I was attracted to your thread in the first place was because I drew Ingwaz a few times over the past week and figured I should say something about it, to help me better understand what it was indicating for myself.

But one time I kept drawing Kenaz almost every day for a month before I figured out why. I'm...I'm not one to catch on too quickly. XD

Tags: