Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What is your Druidry?  (Read 9692 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
What is your Druidry?
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:51:30 pm »
What does it mean to be a Druid in modern society? What do you mean when you use the term Druid for yourself? Why are you a Druid instead of, say, a witch or a Celtic Recon? Conversely, do you find your Druidry informing any other spiritual path you walk?

Basically, this is the place to talk in lengthy detail about your Druidry!
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Druidry?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 01:23:12 am »
Quote from: Sage;521
What does it mean to be a Druid in modern society? What do you mean when you use the term Druid for yourself? Why are you a Druid instead of, say, a witch or a Celtic Recon? Conversely, do you find your Druidry informing any other spiritual path you walk?

Such a good question and one I don't think I've quite answered for myself yet. I've actually been pondering it pretty hard core lately. My father (whom I live with) is already aware that I'm Pagan but doesn't care as he's an atheist tried and true but my twin brother is a Christian and, while he knows I'm not Christian, he doesn't know I'm a full on practicing Pagan either.

Basically I've been trying to define it for myself so that I can share it with him and be ready for questions. I really seriously doubt he'll react negatively but curiosity and questions are to be expected.

So as of now I'd say I'm a Neo-Druid rather than Recon because there's so little existing evidence and information about pre-Christian Celtic cultures and faiths that being a Recon seems like a truly difficult task and combined with the radically different culture and worldview that most of us are mired in it just didn't appeal to me. Not to say that Celtic Recons are wasting their time etc, I really admire their efforts and determination.

As to why Neo-Druid and not Witch? I'm not fully convinced of the efficacy of magic and don't feel right about following a path where it's quite integral, and as to why Neo-Druid and not Wiccan, I felt little pull toward Wicca though I respect and admire it. Though I must admit part of my disinterest was fueled by the huge amounts of mediocre to outright bad information swirling around  and the band wagon approach of many popular works regarding Wicca for mass consumption. This isn't necessarily bad but I feel a sort of latent resentment at the dilution and distortion that seems to be occurring. /rant ;) Look at me taking umbrage for something that barely concerns me...

I don't actually call myself a Druid - maybe once I've progressed further I will though I doubt it. For one, recreating an actual Druid's role in our society is a serious challenge and we simply don't know enough about the historical Druids to be sure of our approximations.

Now, that said, OBOD *does* have a training level wherein one would be labeled a Druid but were I to achieve that level I would always have the caveat of 'OBOD Druid' whenever I used the title rather than simply Druid.

When people ask (which happens rarely) I say that I am a Neo-Druid to save time.

Phwew, rambling self is rambling :)

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:55:45 pm »
Quote from: Asch;571

I think when it is all said and done I'm going to end up with a Major in wicca / witchcraft and Druidry (Blending the two: DruidCraft) and then Toping it off with Shamanic things such as herbalism, Crystal working, Spirit guides and so on in that spectrum.

As well as various forms of divination (Runes, Tarot, and Pendulum)
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:47:23 pm »
Quote from: Asch;571
So as of now I'd say I'm a Neo-Druid rather than Recon because there's so little existing evidence and information about pre-Christian Celtic cultures and faiths that being a Recon seems like a truly difficult task and combined with the radically different culture and worldview that most of us are mired in it just didn't appeal to me. Not to say that Celtic Recons are wasting their time etc, I really admire their efforts and determination.

IAWTC. I've actually been fascinated by CR and have been poking my head in, but I'm not sure how effective overall reconstruction is (or perhaps how good of a reconstructionist I could be). ADF might be the most "recon" faith I can do.

As to why Neo-Druid and not Witch? I'm not fully convinced of the efficacy of magic and don't feel right about following a path where it's quite integral, and as to why Neo-Druid and not Wiccan, I felt little pull toward Wicca though I respect and admire it. Though I must admit part of my disinterest was fueled by the huge amounts of mediocre to outright bad information swirling around  and the band wagon approach of many popular works regarding Wicca for mass consumption. This isn't necessarily bad but I feel a sort of latent resentment at the dilution and distortion that seems to be occurring. /rant ;) Look at me taking umbrage for something that barely concerns me...

I am right there with you on not-sure-about-magic. I've been waffling on the fence (doubly unsure!) about whether to call myself a witch. I'm very interested in non-Wiccan witchcraft and have been inspired by a few TC folk on how to approach witchcraft. I also belong to a very eclectic Neo-Wiccan coven - however, I'm not always sure about calling myself "Wiccan" (despite an initiation) because theology is pretty much up to me and I only participate in Wiccan rituals with the coven, not on my own. I'm in the process of figuring out where I stand on several different religious levels, so time will tell.

I don't actually call myself a Druid - maybe once I've progressed further I will though I doubt it. For one, recreating an actual Druid's role in our society is a serious challenge and we simply don't know enough about the historical Druids to be sure of our approximations.

Understood. For me, "I'm practicing a Drudic-based path with the knowledge it is incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to reach either a historic or modern approximation of the skill and knowledge held by ancient Druids" is a bit of a mouthful. ;D
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:49:04 pm »
Quote from: Chakabe;2057
I think when it is all said and done I'm going to end up with a Major in wicca / witchcraft and Druidry (Blending the two: DruidCraft) and then Toping it off with Shamanic things such as herbalism, Crystal working, Spirit guides and so on in that spectrum.

As well as various forms of divination (Runes, Tarot, and Pendulum)

I've been interested in the concept of "Druidcraft." I'm still sorting through the bits of Wicca that do and do not resonate with me, and still learning my way through Neo-Druidry.
I shall endure.

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:00:51 pm »
Quote from: Sage;2090
I've been interested in the concept of "Druidcraft." I'm still sorting through the bits of Wicca that do and do not resonate with me, and still learning my way through Neo-Druidry.

Well I have a really long way to go then. It is something i have been thinking about for a while. I really like the idea of having a druid main with Witchcraft backing could be a "Strong" combination. If strong could be the right word for this.

As I keep mentioning I want to learn to practice herbalism to try to get away from standard medications. You know since you know they keep giving you more and more meds to counter the side effects of the first round. <--- Least that is how I see it.
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »

Great questions! Hmm, trying to decide which one to start with....

Okay, what do I mean when I use the term Druid for myself? I mean that I am a practitioner of Druidry, a spiritual tradition that is represented by several modern groups and organizations (but definitely not reducible to any one of them), such as OBOD, AODA, ADF, TDN, DOTR, etc. I feel pretty comfortable using the term "Druid" for myself for two reasons. (1) Because I mean it in the same way I would call myself a "Christian" if I were practicing Christianity - I see Druidry as a religion, and it's just easiest to identify myself as a member of that religious tradition by using the term. Since it's pretty well acknowledged that we can't recreate ancient Celtic society, I don't worry about anyone mistaking me for a "real Druid" in that sense.

(2) The idea that ancient Druids were similar to a "priest/philosopher caste" in Celtic society and underwent 20+ years of training.... qualifies me as a Druid, damn it. ;) I've spent most of my life studying philosophy and religion through formal education, I have a degree in comparative religious studies ("priest") and have earned distinguished honors for my work in creative writing ("bard") and political philosophy ("adviser to kings"), along with experience as a political activist and vocal pacifist ("peacemaker"). I guess this is partly answering that first question, too - what does it mean to be a Druid in modern society. True, I didn't spend all those years self-identifying as a Druid... But what it means for me personally to think of myself as a Druid is striving to embody that role of the politically- and socially-engaged peacemaker whose community work is informed by an insight into aesthetics and poetry as well as the intellectual discipline and knowledge of the scholar or philosopher, and who brings to all of that work a deep sense of spiritual grounding and reverence for the gods and the sacredness of the earth.

Why I identify myself as a Druid and not a CR/Recon person (besides what others have mentioned about the lack of scholarly info and the practicality issue) is because the archetype of the Druid seems to place more emphasis on the synthesis and integration of all these different aspects into a deep and challenging path, whereas CR strikes me a bit more like a "folk religion," so to speak, where these roles are all still seen as separate specialties (if you know what I mean... not sure I'm really getting across my idea very well there). I actually started out exploring Paganism through the Wicca/Witchcraft lens (and every once in a while get an urge to explore Feri Witchcraft a bit more)... but it never really fit me, I didn't feel that sense of "homecoming" that I've heard a lot of others describe. Though I do believe in magic, I tend to understand it much more from an aesthetic/philosophical point of view. What really struck me was when I read an essay in an anthology about Druidry where the writer talked about the Witch archetype as that person living as a kind of outcast (a hag or whore) on the edge of town, whereas the Druid was deeply engaged in the heart of community working along with others and counseling them as an accepted and wise person. I resonated much more with the Druid archetype and the role of community and engagement than with the Witch archetype. :)

So.... is that too much?

--Ali

EldritchTaranis

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 03:03:06 pm »

A great set of questions to bring out the insight of another person's inspiration.

Being a Druid in the Mundane Modern world really just means to me about accepting that everyone is simply part of one big family and I hold respect to other people's beliefs. When I use the term DRUID, I use it to describe my path and beliefs. I have a heart to heart connection with the Celtic pantheon but I don't refer myself to a CR. If you read my newbie thread. It explains how I came to path. Yes, I practice Druidism as a spirituality belief/religion. Yet, I dislike the word religion for many reasons; such as, the use of religious can tie its way to Christianity and I don't want to saw I am religious and then someone makes the wrong assumption.
Anyway, even though some interpret druidism as a form of life and others see it as a belief, I personally combine the two together. I treat everyone the same as they are connected with nwyfre (I hope I spelled that right) and I worship the druid Celtic deities during the cycles and on occasion. Yet my worship is more like:
"Dear deities of the North, West, East and South. Your welcome to be of an audience to the circle. You are free to lend a helping if you feel the need or you can just sit back and enjoy the show."
Some of my rituals start out a little like that.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:48:03 pm »

I don't use the term "Druid" myself, given that it is a title which is not granted lightly (meaning read three books on Ireland, buy a shamrock wand and become InstaDruid), instead I use the phrase "I am on a Neo-Druid Path or I'm a member of ADF"  I don't often refer to myself as a witch or really a CR anymore, although I hang on to the scholarship of the CR movement and the magic of the witch...it's just a very different approach.  I find that my path is infused in Modern Druidry...and that to me includes things like environmental stewardship, bardic studies, poetry, history (ancestral), community service, and a commitment to justice and ethical behavior.  It really wasn't planned that way, though.  I kept finding things within Druidry that I loved and wanted to include in my spirituality...and after a brief love affair with CR, I fell into Druidry.  Plus, I had been a member of ADF several years ago and felt that if I wanted to progress, I needed a structured checklist.  ADF provided that for me and happened to be a Druid organization.  

For me, it just fits.  I can honestly say that I have found the right path and I am happy on it.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 02:36:22 pm »

I am not sure what to call myself, and what purpose calling oneself something would fill, but one of my sources of inspiration is Druidry – Meso-Druidry to be exact. I call it Druidry, since that (or 'Druidism') is what persons before me (William Stukeley, Iolo Morganwg, Morien, the MacGregor-Reid family, Ross Nichols) have called it since the early 18th century. May I quote John Michael Greer?

A case can probably be made for finding some other label for the tradition, but there are solid reasons against this. First is the sheer historical fact that the Druids of the Revival took that name, and not another; they were inspired by the ancient Druids and not some other ancient priesthood; and they have been known by that name ever since. For three centuries, the word "Druid" has meant, among other things, a participant in the Revival. Relabeling that movement "British Universalist Post-Anglican Latitudinarian Pantheist Neo-Pythagorean Nature Spirituality" or some other long-winded term is hardly an improvement.

(John Michael Greer: The Druidry Handbook, Red Wheel/Weiser, York Beach ME, 2006, p. 37)

I am not a witch, since the imaginary creatures called 'witches' among some late mediaeval and renaissance Christians does not constitute a source of inspiration for me. For others, a creative re-reading of the mythology surrounding the witches inspire such new witch-religions such as Feri of the Andersons, Cultus Sabbati of Chumbley, the Clan of Tubal-Cain/1734/Ancient Celtic Church of Robert Cochrane, Dianic religion of Budapest, traditional initiatory Wicca of Gardner and Sanders, eclectic-solitary Wicca of Cunningham and a handful of others, but these are not paths for me.

I am not a Celtic reconstructionalist. I find spiritual connectedness and awareness primarily in Nature, not in a particular ethnic mythology, although Welsh and Irish literature are other sources of inspiration for me, but so are Neo-Platonism, Corpus Hermeticum, Graeco-Roman religion and heterodox Christianity.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:38:37 pm by RecycledBenedict »

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 11:35:41 am »

I personally don't refer to myself as a Druid.  It doesn't feel 'right' to do so.  The word still conjures up for me the image of a grey-cloaked, Gandalf-like man and I don't feel that old or wise yet!  

In shorthand, I see myself as Pagan follower of Jesus, on a Druidic path towards a 'Divine Mystery'.  At least that's how I'd describe it today?

I like the 'intellectualism' of Druidism - though there is certainly enough of 'lets get our hands dirty in the soil' sotospeak in caring about/involving ourselves with nature, as well as the practicality of 'street smarts' and learning new things from one's mistakes!  I think the recommendation of 'Druidism' that one have some basic knowledge and continuing education about different facets of life: politics, physical and mental health, music and the arts, language, history, religions and philosophy, etc. is wise.  As well as being involved in one's 'community(s)' however you define that?

I keep on thinking I 'should' be drawn more towards OBOD who I gather look at Druidry more as a philosophical practice.  Which might connect better those few parts of 'christianity' - like Jesus - which I haven't left behind as harmful to my psyche, and the world we live in.  But I'm not... part of that, is the cost involved with OBOD.  But moreso, that ADF has a grove local to me (even if I've not attended a ritual with 'em yet!)

I'll have more to say about my Druidism once I really connect to and feel knowledgeable about one hearth culture... or feel something, or hear directly, from one of the Gods/Goddesses of my ancestors perhaps?  In the meantime I'm enjoying my learning about ancient Celtic, Norse, Germanic and Greek cultures.
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 09:50:26 am »

To be a Druid in modern society is mostly being some kind of priest (more so than any of the other roles) either recognized by an organization or not. Admittedly, I think folks put the other roles into their practice as aspects - say I'm into poetry or genealogy, for example - but I don't necessarily think that folks use that in their religion, per se. I think also there is a lot of esoteric principles being added - like trance or channeling, too.  At least, that is what I see from the folks in my organization.  Myself, I use the words "Neo Pagan Druid and Witch" because that is the label I feel describes me that best.  I choose Druidry because it just fit - when I found it, I felt like I was home.  Druidry offers to me all of the things I was looking for when I was "shopping" for a religion (earth - centered, Irish focus, scholarship, innovation, etc).

The last question is kind of hard to answer - Druidry is my path and all other traditions that I may focus on are just aspects - not really affecting one way or the other.  Well, maybe the magical aspect has some effect, because that tends to be more rooted in Neo-wicca than Druidry (yet, I am still working on finding "Druid magic").  

Something to think about, I suppose.  Great questions!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:50:56 am by Merin »

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 08:10:07 pm »
Quote from: Merin;186841
I choose Druidry because it just fit - when I found it, I felt like I was home.  Druidry offers to me all of the things I was looking for

I'm still a baby Druid, learning to sort of toddle down the path. :) At this point it's fairly vague, and it feels funny to apply the term "druid" to myself (I'm seeing a lot of that here, and a lot of humility applied, which is nice... Druids seem extraordinarily humble for the most part).

For me, druidry is a path that allows me to connect to the sacred in nature and the natural in the sacred. I spend a lot of time in nature or outside just "connecting", getting to know the land I live on in a very, very personal way. I was already on that path before I found Druidry and was immediately attracted to the idea when I found it. Wicca and other strains of witchcraft didn't really fit and other pagan paths that really seem to demand a belief in specific gods didn't either (I'm still figuring out if I believe in a deity, per se, although I think I believe in at least two at this point). I'd been wanting to connect to the solstices and the equinoxes in a spiritual way, too, and that Druidry offers a way to do that was immediately attractive to me.

Frankly, it's all being ironed out right now, and I'm guessing there are a lot of wrinkles I don't see yet. I can tell you that my stack of books is growing quickly, my altar is rather lovely, and I'm spending time in my Inner Grove and journaling about my experiences, and it's all very satisfying even if it's a little vague at this point.

I do still consider myself a Christ-follower, though how that's going to mesh with Druidry, I'm not quite sure.

And I will admit, DruidCraft definitely is intriguing to me, although at this point I don't necessarily see myself practicing witchcraft as a part of my spiritual practice.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 06:42:12 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;192473
I do still consider myself a Christ-follower, though how that's going to mesh with Druidry, I'm not quite sure.

Lots of Christ-followers have meshed with Druidry in the past. You are not the first one. William Stukeley (1687-1765) and Edward Davies (1756-1831) were Anglican clergymen and Druids, the latter one in the Welsh Gorsedd.

Iolo Morganwg (1747-1826), who founded the Welsh Gorsedd in 1792 and wrote the famous Druid Prayer (now used among pagan Druids as well), was a minister in a Unitarian denomination.

Robert Wentworth Little (1840-1878) was a Christian of some sort - he belonged to a Masonic order called Red Cross of Constantine, open only for Christian freemasons - but he was also the founder of the Ancient and Archaeological Order of Druids, from which AODA emerged.

George MacGregor-Reid (dead 1946) was not only the founder of The Druid Order - An Druidh Uileach Braithreachas (1909), but also a minister in a Universalist denomination.

Ross Nichols (1902-1975), who founded OBOD in 1964, was also ordained deacon in one of the modern Celtic churches - known under several names - by bishop Tugdual.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 06:57:35 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;192486
Lots of Christ-followers have meshed with Druidry in the past. You are not the first one.

I may also add, that many of the members of AODA are also members of the Gnostic Celtic Church.

Tags: