collapse

Author Topic: Hobbies: Customized Goddess Doll  (Read 2863 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Customized Goddess Doll
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:17:55 am »
I am a doll collector. Dolls are a passion of mine. These days, I collect Asian Ball Jointed Dolls (ABJDs or just BJDs). However, I still have a large store of my old fashion dolls. I wasn't satisfied with the figure I had for my patron goddess.

I called her Satarupa until recently, but she has told me that her name is a pair of Chinese ideographs - characters - the first meaning illumination and brightness, the second meaning beauty. In Chinese, this is Ming Mei; in Sino-Japanese Meimi or Myōmi, and in Japanese Akiyoshi. She seems to prefer I add the character for woman at the end, thus Mingmeinü, Meiminyō/Myōminyō, or Akiyoshime. She is a multifaceted deity, who answers to Sarasvati, Kichijōten, Benten, and I recently discovered, Lakshmi.

As she is my patroness, I really wanted a special figure for her on my altar. I dug out one of my old fashion dolls, a 16 inch Tonner Mei Li (this was actually before she revealed what her name was, and I don't think it's a coincidence!) I've been working on her for a while, getting her just right. The clothes were easy. I simply draped her in silk chiffon and pinned it in place. Even styling her hair was easy. I usually have problems getting hair just right, but I didn't really have any problems this time.

The real pain was the jewelry, which I think was because I did it last and had to mess with all the other layers. The necklace is still tricky, because it gets tangled and slips around. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to listen!

I also need some suggestions for a crown. I want her to have a diadem in the shape of a crescent, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Here she is. I love her, and I can't wait to consecrate her. I already presented her, and she was very well received.

IMG_0087 by Redfaery1987, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:09:38 pm by RandallS »
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Customized Goddess Doll
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:56:39 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;140882

Here she is. I love her, and I can't wait to consecrate her. I already presented her, and she was very well received.

Nice work, and interesting how you've used your passion for doll collecting as an outlet for your spiritual expression.

Maybe it's the hand positions, but she reminds me of a Buddhist Tara.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:03 am »
I am a doll collector. Dolls are a passion of mine. These days, I collect Asian Ball Jointed Dolls (ABJDs or just BJDs). However, I still have a large store of my old fashion dolls. I wasn't satisfied with the figure I had for my patron goddess.

Very neat! I also collect bjds, but I haven't ventured into any religious representations (nor do I plan to, really). I've seen some really neat ones, though, particularly that Loki doll.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:51:21 am »
I am a doll collector.

She turned out really, really beautiful! As far as the diadem goes, depending on your skill level, you could mold one out of wire (aluminum, probably, would be the softest in a silver tone that is readily available). I am not sure the exact sizing of the Tonner doll, she may be a little too big, but would a ring fit? You could also maybe acquire a crescent pendant or bead, and use string to make a loop.

As I mentioned to you already, my partner is working on making ball-jointed dolls (currently out of a wax blend). He does not have any photos uploaded yet, but is planning on updating his DeviantART soon. His focus is also on figures from myth, with a devotional bent in mind.

So I am a big fan of the idea!

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 03:44:17 pm »
Quote from: Altair;140890
Nice work, and interesting how you've used your passion for doll collecting as an outlet for your spiritual expression.

Maybe it's the hand positions, but she reminds me of a Buddhist Tara.

Thanks, I was indeed inspired by Buddhist mudras when I posed her hands like that. I'm not so sure why her face came looking so stern in the picture. It's very soft in real life.

I collect Asian Ball Jointed Dolls currently, but they're more connected with my stories. I plan on blessing them some time soon. I've come to believe more and more that they have some sort of life force in them. I've poured a lot of my energies into them, and I think it's not unreasonable to believe that they've come alive from it.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:40:12 am »
Quote from: Elaine;140898
As I mentioned to you already, my partner is working on making ball-jointed dolls (currently out of a wax blend). He does not have any photos uploaded yet, but is planning on updating his DeviantART soon. His focus is also on figures from myth, with a devotional bent in mind.

And, now there is a picture of my partner's doll-in-progress, Eve! This is pre-painting and all that, just at a test-stringing phase. I know he has also been working on dolls of Aphrodite and Persephone.

Link to the DeviantART picture.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:49:40 am by Leirion »

Tags: