collapse

Author Topic: Artwork For Your Gods?  (Read 6326 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Artwork For Your Gods?
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:48 am »
Do any of you do artwork for your gods?

If so, it'd be awesome if you could post it (or a link to it) here! And the artwork doesn't have to just be drawing/painting/sculpting; it could be photography or photoshop or writing or heck, even embroidery!

I'm gonna go ahead and put in a couple links here.
Photography: http://harpinghawke.deviantart.com/art/Mama-s-Mitts-419099409

Writing: http://harpinghawke.deviantart.com/art/Honest-to-Gods-429504868
And: http://harpinghawke.deviantart.com/art/Devotion-to-Cernunnos-431735791?q=gallery%3AHarpingHawke%2F46170278&qo=7

Anyway, can't wait to see what gets put here! :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:52:45 am by RandallS »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
Re: Artwork
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:31:04 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;140525

Most of my artwork, if not directly linked to a deity, is inspired by them. I like working with myths, with drawing, works in leather, and writing.

Here is a link (Deviantart) to the costume I made for our Halloween party...which was actually a Dia de los Muertos party as well. It was not linked to any particular deity, but I dressed up for the chthonic entities I worked with: Leather mask and cincher

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:38:34 am »

If so, it'd be awesome if you could post it (or a link to it) here!

Not all my art is deity-related, but some of it is. I've got some posted here on my dA. It's not a usual thing I do, but when the muse strikes, it's a good way to connect with my gods.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:09:21 pm »

One of the things I'm tasked with is that I make all my own altar images - I'm pretty artistic in general so it's work I enjoy doing. I've done a watercolor portrait of Neb.y Set and some figurines of Sokar which I still have to paint. (One of them is going in my studio space, and the other on my monitor at work.)

I'd post pictures, but I haven't got any web hosting figured out. I've been thinking about it, so I might be back with links in a week or two.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:55:50 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;140651

I'd post pictures, but I haven't got any web hosting figured out. I've been thinking about it, so I might be back with links in a week or two.

Hopefully this is not unwanted advice, but. If I just want to host a picture so I can link to it or post it in the forums, I usually use Photobucket. It is a free service I have been using for years, and have never had problems with it. It also has light editing software included. You can also upload photos from your smartphone, which can be nice.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Artwork For Your Gods?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:57:25 am »

If so, it'd be awesome if you could post it (or a link to it) here! And the artwork doesn't have to just be drawing/painting/sculpting; it could be photography or photoshop or writing or heck, even embroidery!

Funny you should start this thread now, since I just finished gathering images to illustrate the upcoming website for my book of original myths (which should be ready any day now, one of these days...).

Here's the image for a principal god of my pantheon, one of three aspects of the Great Goddess: Cosmos, Lord of the Stars

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:05:10 pm »

A Lucifer I drew recently (I'm slowly getting back into drawing): http://dantes-vault.tumblr.com/post/75868358116/pretty-boy-lucifer-lokadyne-is-my-username
Loki: http://dantes-vault.tumblr.com/post/67079704656/have-two-recent-loki-pictures-have-me-hiding
http://dantes-vault.tumblr.com/post/50960224362/i-had-a-dream-earlier-today-and-this-guy-shown-up (This is how he had appeared in one of my dreams)
http://dantes-vault.tumblr.com/post/32609965589/lokadyne-spear-maiden-im-finished-before I call this one Hearth!Spirit Loki.
http://dantes-vault.tumblr.com/post/32608208916/lokadyne-spear-maiden-so-theres-a-certain TERRIBLE ART. DO NOT LOOK.

Writings: Poetry for Loki
Poetry for Odin
Poetry for Lucifer
And poetry for Dionysus if anyone is interested in looking.
Also a couple of Loki poems here. Note to self: Gotta change the moved url.

Loki was my muse for a long time. ._.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 07:38:38 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;140651
One of the things I'm tasked with is that I make all my own altar images - I'm pretty artistic in general so it's work I enjoy doing. I've done a watercolor portrait of Neb.y Set and some figurines of Sokar which I still have to paint. (One of them is going in my studio space, and the other on my monitor at work.)

So I got off my butt and started the spiritual-art blog I've been thinking about. It's still very much under construction, but the watercolor I mentioned is posted:

http://sefirusworkshop.wordpress.com/2014/03/01/neb-y-an-image/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 07:24:33 am »
Quote from: Leirion;140664
Hopefully this is not unwanted advice, but. If I just want to host a picture so I can link to it or post it in the forums, I usually use Photobucket. It is a free service I have been using for years, and have never had problems with it. It also has light editing software included. You can also upload photos from your smartphone, which can be nice.

Just a caution: Photobucket is OK for some things, but there are usually better options. I've found that it is very, very prudish. It often deletes images that show even just naked breasts or buttocks in paintings or statues (or more to the point in my case, dolls). More troublingly, if you're posting original artwork, they take the copyright. That is, whatever you post on their site becomes THEIRS. It's a similar policy to FaceBook.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 11:11:19 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;141350
More troublingly, if you're posting original artwork, they take the copyright. That is, whatever you post on their site becomes THEIRS. It's a similar policy to FaceBook.

No, that's not how it works - what Photobucket and Facebook (and most other places on the Internet that host your content so you can share it) have as part of their terms of service is a license to use your content. You retain your copyright - a private company's ToS wouldn't be able to supersede copyright law, and it's actually quite hard to lose, or give up, your copyright on something.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 11:39:12 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;141360
No, that's not how it works - what Photobucket and Facebook (and most other places on the Internet that host your content so you can share it) have as part of their terms of service is a license to use your content. You retain your copyright - a private company's ToS wouldn't be able to supersede copyright law, and it's actually quite hard to lose, or give up, your copyright on something.

Sunflower

Thanks for the clarification! That makes me feel better. I still prefer Flickr and Deviantart, because they don't freak out about boobies...
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 04:37:30 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;141363
Thanks for the clarification! That makes me feel better. I still prefer Flickr and Deviantart, because they don't freak out about boobies...

I have not had that problem with Photobucket yet! I definitely am a big fan of DeviantART, but I do not want to put WIP shots on there, or pictures of the food I make, or photos of myself...

Flickr might work, though. I have never tried it. Thank you for the heads up, though!

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 03:57:50 am »
Quote from: Leirion;141395
Flickr might work, though. I have never tried it. Thank you for the heads up, though!

I used to love Flickr, but am finding their new look less than awesome.  You used to be able to grab the URL of the image or a line of basic html or forum embed code, but now it gives you the code for a javascript (I think?) box with the image in it.  Which looks very shiny, but isn't always useful.  Sometimes you just need the url of your own image, and it seems quite hard to find it now.  (And if you're not logged in, it seems to be impossible.  Which is annoying.  I started a Flickr account for a local nonprofit just before the change, where they could put photos for the media to use, and now it's such a palaver I've just started putting everything on Facebook.)

There is some fantastic art in this thread!

I had a scrapbook of Celticish-flavoured art, some directly deity related and some not, which I lost in my last move.  The one piece I was really sorry to lose was a collage of Blodeuwedd made from various clippings of flowers and feathers.  I should re-do it.

There may also be Sulis/sacred-springs-at-Bath themed My Little Pony mod in progress, but she needs a do-over before she's fit to post.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:49 am »
Quote from: Sulischild;141525

There is some fantastic art in this thread!

Agreed!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 06:48:28 pm »

I'm gonna go ahead and put in a couple links here.
Photography: http://harpinghawke.deviantart.com/art/Mama-s-Mitts-419099409

Writing: http://harpinghawke.deviantart.com/art/Honest-to-Gods-429504868
And: http://harpinghawke.deviantart.com/art/Devotion-to-Cernunnos-431735791?q=gallery%3AHarpingHawke%2F46170278&qo=7

Anyway, can't wait to see what gets put here! :)

I do a lot of mythic writing for my gods, as part of establishing their stories, over on my Wordpress blog: http://daoineile.com/blog

I also do a bit of doodling and hope to get better at actual drawing/illustration so I can add illustrations to the stories, but that's taking some time to do (and I'm waiting to snatch my boyfriend's drawing tablet again). I'm also trying to fancy/art-ify a large leather-bound book I have that I use for the god's stories as well, but I don't have pictures of my latest work yet.

Tags: