Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Protection magic for others.  (Read 2564 times)

oenothera

• View Profile
Protection magic for others.
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:03:47 pm »
There's a lot of talk in general about protecting one's self, protecting children, protecting pets etc. But what about protecting other people in your house if they've asked to have nothing to do with your practice? My significant other is Agnostic and when I made my intent to begin incorporating magic and other occult practices into my spirituality and life in general, he was weary but cool with it, but made it clear he didn't want any part. However, as a part of that I'd like to keep any spirits I may contact, on purpose or not so on purpose away from him. Benevolent spirits I imagine would have no qualms not making themselves known around him but sometimes mischievous, if not malicious spirits come around. Is it morally wrong for me to cast protection of some sort over someone who has asked to not be involved, or take the risk?

Morally I won't cast a spell or perform any other sort of magic on people who are specifically against magic (generally those of the Abrahamic faiths or have otherwise spoken against it), nor will I prepare food or remedies infused with magic for them, but due to us sharing a small house, including a bed, and him not having a relationship with a higher power who can be called for protection, I have some concern here. Should I make this exception or just let it go?

Dragonfly

• View Profile
Re: Protection magic for others.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:53:41 am »
Quote from: oenothera;12494
But what about protecting other people in your house if they've asked to have nothing to do with your practice?  I'd like to keep any spirits I may contact, on purpose or not so on purpose away from him. Is it morally wrong for me to cast protection of some sort over someone who has asked to not be involved, or take the risk?

Wow, that's an interesting question.
I think it's great that you're wanting to honor his boundaries without compromising your own practice.

What about a spell offering protective energy to his higher-self, and leaving it at that? His higher self would then be free to accept or decline the gift of protection.

Leg1onna1re

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:40:17 am »
Is it morally wrong for me to cast protection of some sort over someone who has asked to not be involved, or take the risk?

I wouldn't cast it without his permission, however, I think that if you explain exactly what you would do and why you want to put this protection on him, he'll be more open to it.  My personal preference is that I'll take all of the protection, luck and prayers I can get :)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:29:35 am »
However, as a part of that I'd like to keep any spirits I may contact, on purpose or not so on purpose away from him. Benevolent spirits I imagine would have no qualms not making themselves known around him but sometimes mischievous, if not malicious spirits come around. Is it morally wrong for me to cast protection of some sort over someone who has asked to not be involved, or take the risk?

Why not just keep mischievous or malicious spirits away?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

oenothera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:10:40 am »
Quote from: Dragonfly;14712
What about a spell offering protective energy to his higher-self, and leaving it at that? His higher self would then be free to accept or decline the gift of protection.

I like this idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Why not just keep mischievous or malicious spirits away?

That's the idea, but sometimes it doesn't always work so smoothly. I just want to make sure that in a worst case scenario situation no one innocent is getting messed with.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:11:17 am by oenothera »

schwertlilie

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:05:19 pm »
Is it morally wrong for me to cast protection of some sort over someone who has asked to not be involved, or take the risk?

Personally, I wouldn't cast a protection spell on him - I'd cast it on the house.

It's a really fine line, I know, because even if it's not on him it'll affect him while he's in the space, and I'd very be careful to be clear with my wording & intent - protect those within from influences they don't want, while they're within; or block any entities who intend mischief or harm from entering. And on the upside, it'd protect everyone in the house, not just your SO.

There's lots of precendent for casting spells on spaces that include people that the spellcaster hopes to affect, including on TC, and it's generally seen as okay - things like house cleansings in families where only one member is Pagan-y, or a spell to reduce drama in a store. But it's up to you, and where you draw that line.

SonofPan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:59 am »
Quote from: schwertlilie;15598
Personally, I wouldn't cast a protection spell on him - I'd cast it on the house.

An interesting way to put it, but then it may put a damper on her own reach...But my two cents just tell him what you want to do, you can't cast a spell on him after he said he didn't want anything to do with magic. That is like putting a cake infront of a fat kid after he said he is going on a diet. *nods sagely*
"Life is about enjoying every moment you have, and with that enjoyment sharing with others!"

Tags: