Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: MUX rules and etiquette?  (Read 5688 times)

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
MUX rules and etiquette?
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:00:50 am »
The MUX is becoming an increasingly busy place, with a steady steam of new participants. In light of this, I thought it might be a good idea to have a sticky somewhere that covers the rules and etiquette for the MUX.
I hope that would be possible, it would make it more user friendly than having dated rules hidden in the FAQ thread, and then a slew of unspoken rules. I would think that it would make it easier for new participants to chat without fear of committing a faux-pas. It could also increase the visibility of who to contact if there are problems both technical and interpersonal.

In short, I guess I'm suggesting a MUX primer.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: MUX rules and etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:57:28 am »
Quote from: savvy;138748

The MUX/Chat rules are in our Forum Rules area. Here's a direct link: http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/misc.php?do=vsarules&cfrset=4

You'll find what amounts to a MUX Primer in the CauldronMUX FAQ thread with is a "sticky" in this forum
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:33 am »
The MUX is becoming an increasingly busy place, with a steady steam of new participants. In light of this, I thought it might be a good idea to have a sticky somewhere that covers the rules and etiquette for the MUX.
I hope that would be possible, it would make it more user friendly than having dated rules hidden in the FAQ thread, and then a slew of unspoken rules. I would think that it would make it easier for new participants to chat without fear of committing a faux-pas. It could also increase the visibility of who to contact if there are problems both technical and interpersonal.

Sav, is there anything in particular you're missing in the rules as they are, or that you find leads to problems? Or is it just a matter of the things that Randall linked not being visible enough?

--Chabas

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:22:00 am »

As a new MUX member, I'd find a sort of primer on MUX to be helpful. The MUX rules and FAQ are very helpful for a basic beginner, but one thing I have come to notice is a lot of chat members are very close. There is, almost the same group of people on every day, and I think that Savvy is trying to say that because of the chat members closeness, some "unspoken rules" have developed. Rules that members of chat find respectful, and boundaries that have sort of been invisibly drawn. A new MUX member doesn't really know these things, until they accidentally offend somebody. I think this is the point Savvy was attempting to make.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:42 am »
Quote from: RainbowSnake;138761
As a new MUX member, I'd find a sort of primer on MUX to be helpful. The MUX rules and FAQ are very helpful for a basic beginner, but one thing I have come to notice is a lot of chat members are very close. There is, almost the same group of people on every day, and I think that Savvy is trying to say that because of the chat members closeness, some "unspoken rules" have developed. Rules that members of chat find respectful, and boundaries that have sort of been invisibly drawn. A new MUX member doesn't really know these things, until they accidentally offend somebody. I think this is the point Savvy was attempting to make.

Yep, this.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:41:26 am »

What I'd be afraid of is that that would only raise the bar for new people coming in by adding a whole new set of rules to adhere to - when really, you don't have to adhere to any rules above and beyond those for the forum at large in order to join chat. It's kind of like coming into a new bar - the regulars, having become friends, might have their own set of preferences and conventions and in-jokes, but you don't have to be part of that sub-culture in order to come into the bar. In theory, you could do it as a descriptive thing ("Hey, this is what our culture is like"), but I think it would be very difficult to do so without implying that others should adhere to that - and you don't, because spoiled as we may be by our own little clique, we very much do not have the right to never be offended.

I'm... not sure I'm explaining myself well here. Short version: I do understand your point, but I'm not sure it's actually desirable to "fix" it in this kind of way, due to potential unintended side effects.

--Chabas

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:02:39 am »
There is, almost the same group of people on every day, and I think that Savvy is trying to say that because of the chat members closeness, some "unspoken rules" have developed.

I will be talking to chat mods about this.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:31:38 am »

Additionally (and relatedly), clarifying some of the current rules and maybe creating new ones (or new, clearly-stated forms of etiquette) might help with safety in chat.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
MUX rules and etiquette?
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:16:52 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;138773
Additionally (and relatedly), clarifying some of the current rules and maybe creating new ones (or new, clearly-stated forms of etiquette) might help with safety in chat.

Just tacking this onto here:

Pretty much the only issue I have with chat is all the commands. I know the basics such as how to write in there, the table and the goat but I don't really know all the others. I know there is a FAQ for some things but not all of them are covered. Things I haven't seen written out anywhere are: how to page; how to set your description/alias/gender etc; how to use the table; brewing coffee; octopus; all the things to do with yarn; and there are more things but I can't remember them all.  
So I would be very grateful if somebody would be willing to do an explanation of all the commands because I don't like having to constantly ask people in chat how they're doing things as it interrupts the flow of the chat.

Lula

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 02:38:30 pm »

As one of those new MUX users, I'm curious what you consider the unspoken rules to be. Are they super TC specific?

In my limited experience, I haven't really seen any awkward situations develop in chat. Maybe that is because I'm causing them, unawares! As far as I can tell the only expectations are what is stated clearly in the rules, and basic social rules that would apply online or offline when you introduce yourself to an existing social group. Be nice, listen, follow others' lead, etc.

I know it can be awkward getting to know people, and doubly so in a text environment, where the people already there already have established relationships. And with a revolving door of visitors to the chat, I imagine there is very little impetus for oldbies to try to get to know new people right away, seeing as they often soon leave. I kind of take all that as par for the course.

All that said, if there seriously are big time things that drive people crazy that newbies consistently get wrong, whether they should be posted rules or not, I am super curious to know what they are.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 07:02:58 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;138781
Pretty much the only issue I have with chat is all the commands. I know the basics such as how to write in there, the table and the goat but I don't really know all the others. I know there is a FAQ for some things but not all of them are covered.

There are literally hundreds of standard commands (and variants). Most are explained in the help system Type "help" and "+help" on the MUX for more info.  Objects created by other chat members (like the table, brewing coffee, etc) only have help if the author/coder of the item made some, unfortunately.
Randall

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
MUX rules and etiquette?
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:17 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;138831
There are literally hundreds of standard commands (and variants). Most are explained in the help system Type "help" and "+help" on the MUX for more info.  Objects created by other chat members (like the table, brewing coffee, etc) only have help if the author/coder of the item made some, unfortunately.

Yeah, see, I never had an issue with the MUX commands. If I don't know something, I usually ask the people on chat at the moment.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 08:47:32 am »
In response to the entire discussion here, and related discussion in chat and among staff, an updated version of the CauldronMUX FAQ has been put up on the Wiki. This is mostly an updated version of the FAQ that was available on the forum already, but we added the following to address some of the questions and comments that came up:

Q: Anything else I need to know before I jump in?
A: Unlike on the forum, CauldronMUX doesn't allow us to pick and choose which conversations we want to be a part of and follow, and a choice to leave a conversation by leaving the room is automatically made public by the software. This means we need to be a bit more considerate of each other's sensibilities at times. While we don't forbid any topics beyond the PG-13 standard and ban on personal attacks, please do take others into account when bringing up a subject matter that might be upsetting. However considerate everyone is, though, sometimes people will still want or need to step out of a conversation - this isn't necessarily anyone's fault, so we ask that people be respectful of both people's right to bring up a subject, and other's right to leave a conversation that upsets them.

While CauldronMUX can feel like a fairly private conversation, it is still a public part of our forum where anyone can walk in at any time. Please keep this in mind, and don't say anything you wouldn't be okay with putting on the open board. Also, while we all need to vent some time, remember that personal attacks are still banned, regardless of the presence of the target of said comment.

Randall will be adding a link to the FAQ to the flash client page for easy reference.

If there are any more questions, or things you might feel would be useful to add, please let us know!

--Chabas

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 08:53:40 pm »
Quote from: Chabas;139459

Just bumping to re-emphasize this bit, which might have fallen off the radar a bit:

However considerate everyone is, though, sometimes people will still want or need to step out of a conversation - this isn't necessarily anyone's fault, so we ask that people be respectful of both people's right to bring up a subject, and other's right to leave a conversation that upsets them.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: