Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Ask a FlameKeeper!  (Read 9700 times)

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Re: Ask a FlameKeeper!
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 06:03:53 pm »
Quote from: Sage;139746
*nodnod*

The idea of "Divine --------> deities and humans" makes a lot of sense and greatly appeals to me. I tend to think of the divine/the sacred (which I use interchangeably; I just prefer the word sacred in my own usage) as a quality of the universe, from which everything else kinda moseys on out.

This is the idea that I've been forming, slowly but surely. Also, I understand the use of the sacred being interchangeable with the divine.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Ask a FlameKeeper!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 02:12:55 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;138110
They're metaphors for the soul.  The Bright Flame is that part of ourselves which we show to the outside world, and the Dark is the part that burns only for ourselves.  Just as we need to take care of ourselves (dark) and the world and people around us (bright)

I've read your book twice over, Shad, and ended up highlighting and adding notes all over it (yay kindle)...

...BUT I'm wondering if anyone, as yet, has come forth with an alternate metaphor? I have tried very hard, but the flame metaphor just does not work for me. I'm a bit miswired and have issues with some forms of symbolic thought and I suspect that is the problem.

I feel super sheepish about asking. The failing is very much on my side, not yours. :o
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Tags: