Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Books Drawing Down the Spirits and Taking to the Spirits?  (Read 2346 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Has anyone read Drawing Down the Spirits and/or Talking to the Spirits, both by Raven Kaldera and Kenaz Filan?  Any thoughts about either or both?

(I know Raven Kaldera is a rather controversial figure, but I don't know if those issues are relevant to these books.)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Quote from: Aster Breo;137760
Has anyone read Drawing Down the Spirits and/or Talking to the Spirits, both by Raven Kaldera and Kenaz Filan?  Any thoughts about either or both?

(I know Raven Kaldera is a rather controversial figure, but I don't know if those issues are relevant to these books.)

I remember enjoying 'Drawing Down', although its been probably a year since I read it.  From what I do recall, it was a pretty decent overview of the possession process. (Possession is one of my favourite topics. I have no idea why.) As I recall there were sections on aftercare for whoever was ridden, negative possessions and why they happen, and how to prepare for all such events.

I think the most controversial material would probably relate to gender - Kaldera does mention that certain deities would no longer possess him following sex-reassignment surgery and I can see this being an issue for people who have a fluid gender identity. Aside from that, the only thing I remember being conscious of in a "ehhhhhhhhh" way was the simple fact that Filan is white.  I own a few of Filan's books and while I enjoy them I am keenly aware that working in African diasporic religions can be extremely problematic when you're a member of a race with inherent privilege.

Overall, though, I recall the book as being interesting, and a nice companion to my copy of 'How About Demons?'

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her

I've read the first, and liked it, though I think it's an imperfect book (I think most books are imperfect, though, so this shouldn't be a particular problem of note.)

I do think it has a lot of valuable information - especially on the practical experience / how different people experience this / how to deal with some of the more common situations that come up in this kind of work, I think the aftercare info is very well done. But I also see it as 'first book for this market of this kind of material', and generally always think that *more* books about it will deepen the topic.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them

I have and am currently working my way through 'Talking to the Spirits'. I've liked most of it and found it very helpful - and the sections about mental health and mental illness wrt spirit work were blessedly written by people who actually have mental illnesses, which was a nice change from other books I was reading then - and plan to keep it around. A few parts I didn't like. They used the word 'infidel' non-jokingly at one point, and I was kinda stunned to see that. Some parts of the book focusing on discernment and conflicts with UPG were...weak, imo. So many quotes they used talked about how the Big Conflict Over UPG was what the favorite color of a god was. That to me is...not the kind of conflict I expect to deal with in my religious community, and it seemed such a petty thing to fight over.

That said, I do find that book useful. Never read 'Drawing Down' so I can't speak on that.

Tags: