Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Tech: Chromebook?  (Read 3278 times)

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Chromebook?
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:57 am »
So my much adored MacBook is becoming geriatric, and needs to be replaced. Much as I'd like to get a new MacBook... I just REALLY cannot justify the cost at this point. Since I mostly use it for surfing and other small things, I've been looking at Chromebooks as an affordable replacement option. There are some things I can't do on them (such as run iTunes for my iPhone), but I can hold on to the MacBook for those things (it's slow, not dead) or use my husband's laptop or desktop.

I seem to recall there were some Chromebook fans here, so I thought I'd ask whether there are any recommendations for specific models (or what to pay attention to when picking one) and/or apps to get once I have one.

--Chabas
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:52:24 pm by RandallS »

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Chromebook?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:32:43 pm »
Quote from: Chabas;137502
I seem to recall there were some Chromebook fans here, so I thought I'd ask whether there are any recommendations for specific models (or what to pay attention to when picking one) and/or apps to get once I have one.

--Chabas

Well I finally broke down and got one.  For me it was a tossup between the Acer Chromebook 720p and the HP Chromebook 11.  

I did like the HP's look (that all-white case is damn purdy) and its screen looked damn good.  Plus the model available at Best Buy also has 4G capability if you want to buy a data plan ($10/month if you're already on Verizon) and that way you're not limited by wi-fi spots.

On the other hand the Acer had double the onboard memory (32GB as opposed to 16) and a touch-screen.  And since they're the same price, I went for the Acer.   (I've learned to like touch-screens.)

Tried loading Open Office.  You're forced to run it off the rollapps site, in a separate window that's half the size of the monitor.  So... no.  However, the Google Docs word processor is the right, light, no-bullshit kind of writer I was looking for.  So... still a win.  

So far I've loaded the Google Drive, Facebook, TweetDeck, YouTube, and Kindle Cloud Reader.  They're all pinned to the taskbar, so they're real easy to find.  

This thing is light and fast.  Boots up in seconds, and if you've used the chrome browser on the PC, then you'll feel right at home.

PS this post was composed on the chromebook, so... it works!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:34:11 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:27 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;139392
This thing is light and fast.  Boots up in seconds, and if you've used the chrome browser on the PC, then you'll feel right at home.

PS this post was composed on the chromebook, so... it works!!

How are you finding the battery life?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:44:12 pm »
Quote from: Jack;139408
How are you finding the battery life?

The box said 8.5 hours.  The unit, fully charged, said it had 11 hours of life.  
Sure it depends on what you're doing, but even the short estimate is a vast leap over the 90 minute battery on my HP laptop.  On the long end, it might surpass the kindle.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:46:35 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 252
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal