"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Winter Olympics 2014  (Read 6006 times)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Olympics 2014
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 06:31:10 pm »
Quote from: Sage;139473
...so where can I watch the Olympics you're watching? So far I've seen a few events (men's speed skating and women's alpine skiing) that are peppered with commercials and propaganda.

I read in the paper today that a lot of USians are actually finding streams online, or purchasing Canadian IPs (this is a thing???) to view Canadian coverage because there is more of the actual events available (although almost all of it viewed in the evening has been cut together more to show more of the actual events, and it's not live) and less advertising/commercials, and not focusing on one or two key athletes.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 06:56:50 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;139507
I read in the paper today that a lot of USians are actually finding streams online, or purchasing Canadian IPs (this is a thing???) to view Canadian coverage because there is more of the actual events available (although almost all of it viewed in the evening has been cut together more to show more of the actual events, and it's not live) and less advertising/commercials, and not focusing on one or two key athletes.

I've been watching on and off but the coverage on NBC sucks. I sometimes watch online. I will be watching tonight because I have a mini crush on Shawn White.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:47:22 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;139507

We watched most of the 2012 Olympics on the BBC via VPN. So much better than NBC. If the BBC ever makes television licences available to U.S. residents, I'm first in line.

I feel like NBC's coverage this year is a little better, but still has room for improvement. Like, if you're going to commentate on short track, you should probably be able to pronounce the names of the Korean skaters. :rolleyes:
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:56:27 pm »
Quote from: Sage;139473
...so where can I watch the Olympics you're watching? So far I've seen a few events (men's speed skating and women's alpine skiing) that are peppered with commercials and propaganda.

We're using our DVR to record events on different channels and then speeding through the commercials.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: