Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: Fancy Rats  (Read 9372 times)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fancy Rats
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 11:11:29 am »
Quote from: LadyBug;137380
The call for pictures is answered!!

So cute!

SoloWytch

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 02:56:13 pm »
Quote from: LadyBug;137176

I would like to know what you guys think about having a pair of fancy rats as pets. Would you ever own any? Do you already own any? If so, have you managed to teach them any tricks or are they your shoulder-riding companions? Do your rats enjoy bath time?(this one question actually has a purpose, I can't seem to get my girls to stay in the water more then a few seconds at a time so I've had to forgo shampooing just in case I can't get it all off before they scurry into a warm pocket)

I have 11 males -- got my first ones in March of last year and in less than a week I couldn't imagine not having them in my life.

Tricks? Not unless you count coming to the door when I rattle treats.  (They have me well trained!)

I've never bathed them -- just about everything I've read in rat groups and on rat forums says it's not really necessary as they do groom themselves.   I do put bowls of water in their cage in the summer for them to use to cool down.  The only one who seems to enjoy it is Peter.

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »
Quote from: LadyBug;137176
I've had a pair of fancy rats for a little while now. I love them to bits, so cuddly and sweet and their personalities are HUGE!

I have 3 rats right now (and two before, who sadly passed--RIP Bruce and Tony), and LOVE THEM. They are precious darling babies and absolutely hilarious, to boot. Everyone who meets them winds up loving them, because they're just so friendly and curious and funny. Mine are all boys, and yes they do pee on everything, but they also LOVE snuggling; like Fausta, that's why we went with boys--we liked the idea of lap rats!

I've never bathed my rats--they're very clean, and it seems like it would be counterproductive (drying their skin out, etc.); the vet told us it's not necessary unless they get, like, covered in dirt or something (unlikely). Two of our boys are hairless--they are the funniest looking little beasts you ever saw--and I rub them with olive oil once a week to keep them moisturized. (The fuzzy one LOVES this--he immediately goes over and starts licking them.)

They all have wildly different personalities: Oatmeal, the little pink hairless one, thinks he's the boss of EVERYTHING, and is also an explorer rat--he likes to roam around the den and be taken on shoulder rides around our apartment. Jub-Jub, the fuzzy one, is incredibly submissive; I personally think he just loves having his belly groomed, so he's happy to let Oatmeal pounce on him--he gets this look of zoned out bliss when he's being bossily groomed. He is also our #1 snuggle rat. And Pudding, our purple hairless Dumbo-eared alien baby, is just intrinsically hilarious--he is bouncy and chubby and good-natured, and will climb all over you if he thinks you have food.

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 02:34:52 am »
Quote from: catja6;170662
I have 3 rats right now (and two before, who sadly passed--RIP Bruce and Tony), and LOVE THEM. They are precious darling babies and absolutely hilarious, to boot. Everyone who meets them winds up loving them, because they're just so friendly and curious and funny. Mine are all boys, and yes they do pee on everything, but they also LOVE snuggling; like Fausta, that's why we went with boys--we liked the idea of lap rats!

I've never bathed my rats--they're very clean, and it seems like it would be counterproductive (drying their skin out, etc.); the vet told us it's not necessary unless they get, like, covered in dirt or something (unlikely). Two of our boys are hairless--they are the funniest looking little beasts you ever saw--and I rub them with olive oil once a week to keep them moisturized. (The fuzzy one LOVES this--he immediately goes over and starts licking them.)

I have three girls. They're all 2 and 4 months old and they have actually been bathed: twice because two of them fell in a toilet (one was an idiot and one was scared by a loud noise and jumped backwards).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:32:00 pm by SunflowerP »

Tags: