Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Tech: Recommend me an iPhone app!  (Read 4744 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Recommend me an iPhone app!
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:11:33 pm »
So I am now the proud owner of a hand-me-down iPhone. This is the first smartphone I've had :ashamed: and I'm completely bewildered by the amount of apps in the iStore.

What are your favorite apps? Games, utility, info, whatever. (And yes, I already downloaded Angry Birds.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:52:38 pm by RandallS »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SheepsKnuckle

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me an app!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;136453
So I am now the proud owner of a hand-me-down iPhone. This is the first smartphone I've had :ashamed: and I'm completely bewildered by the amount of apps in the iStore.

What are your favorite apps? Games, utility, info, whatever. (And yes, I already downloaded Angry Birds.)

I am a big fan of fantasy × runners (at least I think that what its called)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:50:10 pm »

I spent this morning teaching a class on smartphones, so well timed! Some of these are paid apps: I don't track that closely but most of them are inexpensive.

Things your phone can do you might not think to use it for: take photos. Take photos of complicated computer error messages so you can look them. Take photos of where cords are plugged in before you have to move something and unplug them. Take photos for health tracking reasons. (I have done all three of these in the past week or two.) Your needs may vary, but having a small handy camera is very useful for a lot of reasons.

Reading: Kindle app. Marvin for other e-reading (they let you do sensible lists!). Oyster, which is a subscription service for ebooks (only on iphone and ipad: their available items works for me, may not work for other people. If you want to know more PM, and I'll point you at some other resources.)

Exercise and related: Moves (pedometer). The Walk and Zombies, Run! are both exercise narrative apps (made by the same company: the walk is a pedometer based thing, the Zombies one is more episodic.)

Weather: Dark Sky (hyperlocal and immediate forcast, handy for "Do I want to walk home from work now or in half an hour?) Blue (very basic temp/weather.)

Other tracking: Sleep Cycle (tracks sleep, wakes you up at a time you're more wakeful in a 30 minute window). Symple (for health symptoms: you rank on a 5 point scale, and you get handy graphs). P Tracker for menstrual cycle stuff (mine is not so much a cycle as improvisational dance at irregular intervals, but it's nice to demonstrate that to doctors when needed.)

Astronomy: Star Walk (point at sky, it tells you what constellations you're looking at. Can also adjust for specific time/location/etc.) SkyLive (by the same people: weather forecast specifically for stargazing - combines moon phase, visibility, weather, light polution, etc. to give you a number.) Perpetuum (solar/lunar calendar, really pretty.)

Mail: I use Mailbox, which requires you use Gmail, but lets me postpone and manage messages very quickly. It's not great for everything (it forces top posting), so I also have the Gmail app.

Other: Wooly (syncs with Ravelry for knitting goodness). Knit-n-Count (knitting row/pattern counter). TextGrabber (take a photo of text, it OCRs it for you - handy if you want to, say, translate a museum sign in a different language.) TapTyping (for teaching yourself typing on a phone)

Games: I actually didn't reload that many after upgrading my phone this fall - I currently have Color Zen, and Dots on there, both of which are brief and mindless. I also have some apps in a travel folder I don't use often - if you're anywhere with public transit regularly, check for transit apps. (They generally tell you some combo of schedules + sometimes where buses actually are right now.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:14:41 pm »

Cat Piano.  Why?  It's mindless, yet fun.

A good "flashlight" app that turns your screen into a bright light source.  You'll be glad to have it.  

Also, Instagram.  I'm a junkie and will slap a filter on any phone pic.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:50:24 pm »

OpenTable: I use it in just about every city I visit to make quick reservations for lunch or dinner.  An example: the Philadelphia Flower Show is something I attend almost every year and the restaurants are packed.   Using OpenTable, I made lunch reservations at a restaurant two blocks away 15 minutes before we wanted to eat and we didn't have to wait for a table.

Tapatalk, for obvious reasons.  ;)

Any apps for public trans - bus routes, subway maps, etc.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:20 pm »
Quote from: SheepsKnuckle;136454
I am a big fan of fantasy × runners (at least I think that what its called)

Err ... what does it do? Sounds like either an exercise thing or a role-playing game.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:44 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;136455

take photos. Take photos of complicated computer error messages so you can look them. Take photos of where cords are plugged in before you have to move something and unplug them. Take photos for health tracking reasons. (I have done all three of these in the past week or two.) Your needs may vary, but having a small handy camera is very useful for a lot of reasons.

I will definitely check out some of those! Another photo-related tip I saw somewhere: when a friend borrows something from you, take a picture of them holding it so you know who has it.

Quote from: MadZealot;136457

A good "flashlight" app that turns your screen into a bright light source.  You'll be glad to have it.  

Quote from: veggiewolf;136463
OpenTable: I use it in just about every city I visit to make quick reservations for lunch or dinner.

These sound really useful too. Is OpenTable worldwide? I have a trip to Europe coming up this summer, so something like that might be handy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

kiarakapow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:47 pm »

I have this app called mint that hooks you up to all your different credit/debit cards, loans, etc. And it tracks your spending and you can make budgets and save for a goal.It's cool. It really helps to stay on top of things financially. You can also access it online. Best thing is that it's totally free.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 02:02:49 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;136457

I use my flashlight app all the time.  I like the kind that uses your camera flash as the flashlight better. But I have one that can also use the screen, so it can do different colored flashing lights and patterns and things like that.  

I rely heavily on my medication tracker app, and also have an ICE (in case of emergency) app that notes my meds, medication allergies, dr's contract info, and family's contact info. When I work, I use a timesheet tracker to record work hours.

Honestly, there's an app for just about anything.  My phone is an android, but I think there are even more apps for iPhones.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 12:38:07 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;136604
These sound really useful too. Is OpenTable worldwide? I have a trip to Europe coming up this summer, so something like that might be handy.

OpenTable is semi-worldwide.  There were two European countries I saw in the list when last I checked - Portugal and Switzerland - but a bunch of countries from other continents.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;136710
Switzerland

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent. *rubs hands together*

Although knowing my family we'll end up in a pub drinking beer anyway. :p
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 07:03:45 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136639

Honestly, there's an app for just about anything.  My phone is an android, but I think there are even more apps for iPhones.

Yeah, that's what has me bewildered.

I wonder if there's an e-shrine app? *wanders off to look*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: