collapse

Author Topic: Incense recipies  (Read 2233 times)

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Incense recipies
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:25:07 pm »
This might be the wrong place for this post, and/or this thread may have bben posted before but I didn't see it anywhere.

Does anyone have any incense recipies they would like to share? I really want to try my hand at making my own. I intend on getting a couple of books on the subject but I was wondering if anyone has their own recipies they wouldn't mind sharing. Also any tips on how to blend them would be great. Also any herbs that shouldn't be burned inside, or burned at all? (I know valerian root is outside only)

Maythe

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://maytheweed.blogspot.com/
Re: Incense recipies...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:14:18 pm »
Quote from: ZombyFrogg;12105
This might be the wrong place for this post, and/or this thread may have bben posted before but I didn't see it anywhere.

Does anyone have any incense recipies they would like to share? I really want to try my hand at making my own. I intend on getting a couple of books on the subject but I was wondering if anyone has their own recipies they wouldn't mind sharing. Also any tips on how to blend them would be great. Also any herbs that shouldn't be burned inside, or burned at all? (I know valerian root is outside only)

My favourite is a mix of equal parts benzoin, rose buds or petals, lavender flowers and chamomile flowers. It's a very summery mix thanks to the honey scent of the benzoin. I don't use it in a ritual way, being Heathen, but I do like my home to smell nice and I like my mixes to have some resin at least so as to avoid a bonfire-y smell.

I went through a phase a while back of burning anything I could get my hands on, just to see what it smelt like. Mandrake smells like burning sports socks, so I'd avoid it except in very small quantities. Also the Artemisias (Wormwood, Southernwood, Mugwort etc) might be potentially unsafe indoors or in high doses. I'm pretty sure I tried Southernwood if not the others and again, not the most pleasant smell ever.

P.S Beware. Buying Incense ingredients is mildly addictive.
My writing blog is very occasionally updated with poetry and short stories. My gardening blog is more active.

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:06 am »
Quote from: Maythe;12436
My favourite is a mix of equal parts benzoin, rose buds or petals, lavender flowers and chamomile flowers. It's a very summery mix thanks to the honey scent of the benzoin. I don't use it in a ritual way, being Heathen, but I do like my home to smell nice and I like my mixes to have some resin at least so as to avoid a bonfire-y smell.

I went through a phase a while back of burning anything I could get my hands on, just to see what it smelt like. Mandrake smells like burning sports socks, so I'd avoid it except in very small quantities. Also the Artemisias (Wormwood, Southernwood, Mugwort etc) might be potentially unsafe indoors or in high doses. I'm pretty sure I tried Southernwood if not the others and again, not the most pleasant smell ever.

P.S Beware. Buying Incense ingredients is mildly addictive.

Thanks I am hoping to come up with enough recipie "contributions" that I can get an idea of what works well together and try to make up some of my own.
  I am already addited to buying books, fabric, and stones (when they call to me) so I guess it is something else to add to my "addicted to" list. Lol.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:22:00 am »
Does anyone have any incense recipies they would like to share?

There are a large number here: http://www.ecauldron.net/spells/iincense.php
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:05:31 am »
Does anyone have any incense recipies they would like to share? I really want to try my hand at making my own.

Check out The Complete Book of Incense, Oils, and Brews by Scott Cunningham. I don't think I own it (books still lost amidst old moving boxes), but I've looked through it.

I don't like to burn sage in the house because the smell is quite strong to me, but it's not unsafe to burn. And in my experience, resins burn better than dried herbs... dried herbs always have a bit of a singed smell to me. In my own practice, I just stick with pre-made sticks or cones. My local pagan shop makes their own incense and it's really nice, though I think it tends to dry out a bit more quickly than the more commercial stuff.

Karen

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:18:37 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;15010
Check out The Complete Book of Incense, Oils, and Brews by Scott Cunningham. I don't think I own it (books still lost amidst old moving boxes), but I've looked through it.

I don't like to burn sage in the house because the smell is quite strong to me, but it's not unsafe to burn. And in my experience, resins burn better than dried herbs... dried herbs always have a bit of a singed smell to me. In my own practice, I just stick with pre-made sticks or cones. My local pagan shop makes their own incense and it's really nice, though I think it tends to dry out a bit more quickly than the more commercial stuff.

Karen

I just got the book in, I had intended on ordering it, I was just curious if anyone came up with anythig on their own. I have some store bought stuff but it has been making me sneeze lately so I wanted to try something different.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:43:33 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;15010

Karen

I have that book and Have found it to be pretty helpful, although my boyfriend probably uses it more than I do!

Also, I love sage. The smell is strong, but my mom practices a lot of the old traditional Native American way, so i grew up with it, to me it smells like home. I burn it whenever I want to feel calm. Also, I use it to purify the area whenever doing any kind of magic.

Good Luck!
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Tags: