collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Burning paper - reasons and alternatives  (Read 5175 times)

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Burning paper - reasons and alternatives
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 08:43:08 pm »
Quote from: carillion;162308
That's what oven doors and pan lids are for:)

Weeeell... I don't think the half of this marriage that does most of the cooking would approve of this use of the kitchen equipment. And I like to eat, so... :ange:
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Hematite

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10:39 am »
Quote from: beachglass;136288
So, I did some work this morning involving burning paper, and have decided that this is at best impractical* in my current living situation.

I'm now thinking about the different reasons one might burn papers in magical work, and how one might choose alternatives based on the intended purpose. I can think of lots of practical alternatives (need to destroy it? cut it into tiny bits; need to mix it in a liquid? just let it dissolve), but I'm curious about how the symbolic or energetic purpose of the burning might make one choose a different substitute action, or perhaps decide that there is no appropriate substitute.

So, why might you burn a paper? What purpose does the fire serve? What would you do instead if you couldn't use fire?

*This may or may not have involved me sitting in the bathtub with the window open and the air cleaner on. Thank goodness for a January thaw.

Maybe it's just because I like fire, but I find burning paper really satisfying all on it's own without a spell involved. I do see though where a small space may complicate things.

My mom got this really neat tool for melting wax to decorate Ukrainian style eggs. Since these are really fussy detailed and delicate works of art, it will make a very small point of wax, and I don't see why colored wax or crayons, maybe a blend of both, could not be used to write directly on a candle. This would still allow for burning but without any paper.

If smell is a big part of the issue, I find maple leaves burn sweet and pleasant, kind of like the syrup. This would still put smoke in the air, but at least it smells good. If you dry them in a book, larger leaves could leave plenty of room to write as well.

Though really, the reason for the burning would make a difference.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 11:49:32 pm »
Quote from: Hematite;162984
My mom got this really neat tool for melting wax to decorate Ukrainian style eggs. Since these are really fussy detailed and delicate works of art, it will make a very small point of wax, and I don't see why colored wax or crayons, maybe a blend of both, could not be used to write directly on a candle. This would still allow for burning but without any paper.

That's pretty clever! Some years I think about making real pisanki at Easter, but my family gave up the old ways as soon as they invented the shrinkwrap version. ;) But if I come across one of those tools in someone's attic, I'll give it a try. You could make some really pretty candles that way, I think.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:52:13 pm by beachglass »
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Tags: