Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Author Topic: Tech: Wi-Fi Question  (Read 5027 times)

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Wi-Fi Question
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:20:20 pm »
My GF got a new Nextbook, which we found wasn't compatible with our router, so I solved that problem with a Belkin N150

Now, I find that her laptop has little or no connectivity with the new network ...
Tried using the WPS, and that didn't work; so I'm thinking the problem is in the drivers for the wireless network adapter: meaning I need to hook up the old router long enough to download them

The question is that since Quaalcom no longer seems to have drivers for the Atheros AR5007EG, what would be a good place to find them?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:52:58 pm by RandallS »

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Wi-Fi Question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:39:19 pm »
Quote from: Dragonoake;136221
My GF got a new Nextbook, which we found wasn't compatible with our router, so I solved that problem with a Belkin N150

Now, I find that her laptop has little or no connectivity with the new network ...
Tried using the WPS, and that didn't work; so I'm thinking the problem is in the drivers for the wireless network adapter: meaning I need to hook up the old router long enough to download them

The question is that since Quaalcom no longer seems to have drivers for the Atheros AR5007EG, what would be a good place to find them?

...The Belkin N150 is the router I tell my customers not to get because of known issues with connectivity. If it's not the problem now, it will be. In the nearly 4 years I've worked for this electronics retailer, I can count on my fingers the number of that model that have stayed sold.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Wi-Fi Question
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »

Is this a Windows machine? In Windows, the "limited or no connectivity error" can be caused by DHCP or DNS problems. You should be able to check if the IP address assigned to the machine is valid on your network, and if not, you may need to change the DHCP settings on your router or assign the IP address manually from the affected machine. (Alternatively you may need to clear a previously manually set IP.)

You can also try manually entering the appropriate DNS servers from your ISP.

This page breaks it down in a little more detail and suggests some additional things to try:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/ht/limited-connect.htm
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:15 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;136225
Is this a Windows machine?

Yes, it's WinXP

I tried re-booting the router, thinking it might recognize it when it started up, and it seems to have erased everything. Internet went down altogether and I couldn't even access the router

I gave up and put the other router back in, and after re-booting the modem about four times, the hard wired connection works again.

The laptop shows the network, and the physical address is there, but the IP and subnet addresses are gone: 0.0.0.0; and nothing at all below that

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:17 pm »
Quote from: Dragonoake;136232
The laptop shows the network, and the physical address is there, but the IP and subnet addresses are gone: 0.0.0.0; and nothing at all below that

If I were troubleshooting this, I would look into the DHCP settings on the router and the TCP/IP settings on the laptop to try and see what's causing these IPs to be incorrect. Also check if the machine has the same name as another machine on the network

Though in light of stephyjh's advice, you may want to return that router and get a more reliable one. It's no fun to go through all the trouble of trying to fix it only to find you've got bad hardware.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:42:47 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;136233
If I were troubleshooting this, I would look into the DHCP settings on the router and the TCP/IP settings on the laptop to try and see what's causing these IPs to be incorrect.

I have the setting, but there seems to be no way to configure it manually
It just comes up with an "Unable to create a network" error
It does give the option of inserting a flash drive, but gives no information about what's supposed to be on the flash drive

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:28 pm »
Quote from: Dragonoake;136239
I have the setting, but there seems to be no way to configure it manually
It just comes up with an "Unable to create a network" error
It does give the option of inserting a flash drive, but gives no information about what's supposed to be on the flash drive

Is this where you are finding the setting?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/howto_enable_dhcp.mspx?mfr=true

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 12:14:06 am »
Quote from: beachglass;136240
Is this where you are finding the setting?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/howto_enable_dhcp.mspx?mfr=true

I get as far as the change settings, but it doesn't give me either of those options, it just shows what it connected to

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:16 am »
Quote from: Dragonoake;136244
I get as far as the change settings, but it doesn't give me either of those options, it just shows what it connected to

Are you logged on as an administrator or as a regular user? I'm not sure you can change the setting unless you are logged on as an admin.

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:58:06 am »
Quote from: beachglass;136246
Are you logged on as an administrator or as a regular user? I'm not sure you can change the setting unless you are logged on as an admin.

That might explain a few things, mightn't it?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 08:27:49 am »

I agree with Stephy, this router gets horrible reviews -- especially from people who review it after they've used it a while. Before wasting time trying to get the laptop connected to this router, I'd return the router and get a different router. Personally, I prefer Linksys or D-link routers, but check reviews before you buy as both produce some models that are losers.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Wi-Fi Question
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 10:17:26 am »
Quote from: RandallS;136265
I agree with Stephy, this router gets horrible reviews -- especially from people who review it after they've used it a while. Before wasting time trying to get the laptop connected to this router, I'd return the router and get a different router. Personally, I prefer Linksys or D-link routers, but check reviews before you buy as both produce some models that are losers.

Agreed. I have customers who have good luck with Netgear, too, but the one I have personally is a Linksys E1200, which is an N300 rating. My mom and grandparents live in a larger place than mine and need more range, so they've got one of the Linksys N600 models.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 07:43:50 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;136268
Agreed. I have customers who have good luck with Netgear, too, but the one I have personally is a Linksys E1200, which is an N300 rating. My mom and grandparents live in a larger place than mine and need more range, so they've got one of the Linksys N600 models.

OK, but back to the original question, what is a good place to get the up-dated driver?
The company's website doesn't even mention that model, let alone provide updated drivers for it; and the last time I got one off a Google search, I ended up formatting the drive and re-installing Windows to get out of Malware Hell

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;136268
Agreed. I have customers who have good luck with Netgear, too,

Any particular opinions on the Netgear WNR-1000?

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 11:59:59 pm »
Quote from: Dragonoake;136313
OK, but back to the original question, what is a good place to get the up-dated driver?
The company's website doesn't even mention that model, let alone provide updated drivers for it; and the last time I got one off a Google search, I ended up formatting the drive and re-installing Windows to get out of Malware Hell

Check with both the manufacturer of the website and the manufacturer of the adapter itself. You may need to call or e-mail them. Though driver problems are not high on my list of probable causes for the behavior you're seeing. :\

Tags: