Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Tech: Kindle Fires  (Read 7142 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:48:56 pm »
Since there seem to be several of us using Kindles, I thought it might be good to have a thread for sharing info.

I'll start.  Is anyone using OfficeSuite Professional 7 on their Kindle Fire HD? It seems to be the full version of the light word processing app that comes installed on the Fire.  It's currently priced at $14.99, which isn't cheap, but is a helluva lot better than MS Office.

Also, stupid question:  Is it possible to put programs/apps on the Fire from sources other than Amazon's app store -- like Open Office, f'ex?  If so, do they show up in the carousel like "normal" apps?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:52:09 pm by RandallS »
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:55:47 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;135985
Since there seem to be several of us using Kindles, I thought it might be good to have a thread for sharing info.

I'll start.  Is anyone using OfficeSuite Professional 7 on their Kindle Fire HD? It seems to be the full version of the light word processing app that comes installed on the Fire.  It's currently priced at $14.99, which isn't cheap, but is a helluva lot better than MS Office.

Also, stupid question:  Is it possible to put programs/apps on the Fire from sources other than Amazon's app store -- like Open Office, f'ex?  If so, do they show up in the carousel like "normal" apps?

I've heard you can mod it to get Google Play access, but I'm pretty sure that's a case of installing a standard version of Android rather than Amazon's proprietary version.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/
Re: Kindle Fires
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:05:53 pm »

I'll start.  Is anyone using OfficeSuite Professional 7 on their Kindle Fire HD? It seems to be the full version of the light word processing app that comes installed on the Fire.  It's currently priced at $14.99, which isn't cheap, but is a helluva lot better than MS Office.

Also, stupid question:  Is it possible to put programs/apps on the Fire from sources other than Amazon's app store -- like Open Office, f'ex?  If so, do they show up in the carousel like "normal" apps?

I've been using OfficeSuite Pro 7 on my kindle fire since I got it, and I find it very easy to use. It is one app that I am very glad I bought.

Don't know about other programs/apps.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
Quote from: NanLT;135991
I've been using OfficeSuite Pro 7 on my kindle fire since I got it, and I find it very easy to use. It is one app that I am very glad I bought.

Don't know about other programs/apps.

Kingsoft Office is very decent, and free.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:24:19 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;135992
Kingsoft Office is very decent, and free.

Isn't the version of Kingsoft that's available in the Amazon app store just a light version that doesn't allow you to create new docs? Or did I misunderstand?

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:28:06 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;135997
Isn't the version of Kingsoft that's available in the Amazon app store just a light version that doesn't allow you to create new docs? Or did I misunderstand?

It does allow you to create new docs, although the process is rather counter-intuitive.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:33:13 pm »

You can get apps from outside Amazon, but you'll have to change a setting in your Kindle to do so.  Then to access the app you'll have to go to the 'downloads' tab in your silk browser and install it from there.  (Open Office doesn't have a Kindle app at the moment, though. )
Yes, once installed, it shows up in your apps and on your carousel.

The full version of Kingsoft is free on their website.  From what I saw of it you can create new docs but I didn't mess with it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:35:24 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:07:55 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;135999
It does allow you to create new docs, although the process is rather counter-intuitive.

Ah. Thanks.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 08:08:43 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;136001
You can get apps from outside Amazon, but you'll have to change a setting in your Kindle to do so.  Then to access the app you'll have to go to the 'downloads' tab in your silk browser and install it from there.  (Open Office doesn't have a Kindle app at the moment, though. )

Thanks.  I obviously need to spend some quality time poking at my Kindle.  ;-)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:21:00 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;136001

The full version of Kingsoft is free on their website.  From what I saw of it you can create new docs but I didn't mess with it.

Hmm, that's new, then. Used to be that you could only do Amazon apps.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 02:42:29 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;136004

I think so.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 09:05:17 am »

Hmm that's my understanding too but I haven't had Kindle training lately. Generally speaking be cautious about 'modding' a Kindle as it may invalidate the warranty. I'd recommend calling Amazon directly for guidance. All tech support on Kindles is free (I have seen a weird ass site out there that claims to be Amazon support and charges $1.99 a minute it's a flat out scam).

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 07:31:34 pm »

I had to uncheck a box to get Blowtorch to work on my Kindle Fire.  It wasn't in the Amazon app store, and I downloaded it from elsewhere.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:21 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;136312
I had to uncheck a box to get Blowtorch to work on my Kindle Fire.  It wasn't in the Amazon app store, and I downloaded it from elsewhere.

Last night, while working on figuring out how to get the video lectures from the Coursera class to play on my Fire, I discovered the Android Cowboy website ( http://androidcowboy.com/).  It's got instructions for doing that sort of thing, written in lay-person language.  There's also a free pdf Kindle Fire Guide that explains how to expand your Kindle into a fully functioning android tablet.

I'm looking forward to making the modifications that will allow me to download apps from the Google Play Store.  Just waiting for my bluetooth keyboard to get here, because that will be a lot easier to use than the on-screen keyboard.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 08:52:05 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136315
Last night, while working on figuring out how to get the video lectures from the Coursera class to play on my Fire, I discovered the Android Cowboy website ( http://androidcowboy.com/).  It's got instructions for doing that sort of thing, written in lay-person language.  There's also a free pdf Kindle Fire Guide that explains how to expand your Kindle into a fully functioning android tablet.

I'm looking forward to making the modifications that will allow me to download apps from the Google Play Store.  Just waiting for my bluetooth keyboard to get here, because that will be a lot easier to use than the on-screen keyboard.

Heh I just got the AmazonBasics BT keyboard today. I really like it, I was concerned it might be too small but its about on par with a smaller laptop keyboard. I'm going to look in to some of the recommended word processing apps this weekend. It's my pay day so I may splurge on the $15 office compatible app. I'll have to see how my recent work outage thanks to a dead work comp hurt me first >.<

Tags: