"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Tech: Kindle Fires  (Read 7146 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 10:09:41 pm »
Quote from: Asch;136320
Heh I just got the AmazonBasics BT keyboard today.

I ordered a keyboard case, which will essentially turn the Kindle into a very small laptop.  ;-)  

I had one that I returned last week (didn't like the color), so I know what to expect.  The keyboard is small, but I don't think that will be an issue for me.  We'll see, I guess.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Fires
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 11:52:28 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136334
I ordered a keyboard case, which will essentially turn the Kindle into a very small laptop.  ;-)  

I had one that I returned last week (didn't like the color), so I know what to expect.  The keyboard is small, but I don't think that will be an issue for me.  We'll see, I guess.

Yeah I thought about the incorporated into a case one too but I love my current case a ridiculous amount. I may be upgrading to one of the HDXs (I'm trying to justify it as work related) and in that case I probably would/will go for that kind of case and consider it a future replacement for my laptop.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:32 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136334

Once there's a workable OpenOffice app I'm right there with ya.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 12:39:11 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;136362
Once there's a workable OpenOffice app I'm right there with ya.

I'm hoping to try that, once I work through the guide and figure out how to get past the stupid Amazon limits.  I'll try to remember to let you know if I manage it.  I'm not fabulous with computers, but I'm not horrible, either...

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 02:52:53 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;136364
I'm hoping to try that, once I work through the guide and figure out how to get past the stupid Amazon limits.  I'll try to remember to let you know if I manage it.  I'm not fabulous with computers, but I'm not horrible, either...

I've been trying out the kingsoft office for android app available in the Kindle Appstore. So far so good but I haven't had a chance to play with it too much.

I also looked in to using 3rd party apps. It's doable but could screw with your warranty if something goes sideways (though my guessumption is a factory reset would probably clear up anything short of fatal).

I'll update when I've had a chance to run kingsoft through it's paces.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Kindle Fires
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 05:25:34 am »
Quote from: Asch;138145
I've been trying out the kingsoft office for android app available in the Kindle Appstore. So far so good but I haven't had a chance to play with it too much.

I used Kingston for a few days but ran into a fatal flaw yesterday.  I had copied some text from an email and edited it in Kingsoft.  Then I tried to attach that document to an email and send it to friends.  Turned out that the email app didn't recognize Kingsoft as a source for attachments.  So that doesn't work for me.

I bought Office Suite Pro 7 today.  (I happened to have an Amazon credit for the same amount as the app, but I would have been ok with spending the money.)  I used it for a couple hours today with no problems, including attaching docs out of it.  It's not perfect.  There are some clunky menus, but once I got accustomed to it, I was fine.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:50 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;138296
I used Kingston for a few days but ran into a fatal flaw yesterday.  I had copied some text from an email and edited it in Kingsoft.  Then I tried to attach that document to an email and send it to friends.  Turned out that the email app didn't recognize Kingsoft as a source for attachments.  So that doesn't work for me.

I bought Office Suite Pro 7 today.  (I happened to have an Amazon credit for the same amount as the app, but I would have been ok with spending the money.)  I used it for a couple hours today with no problems, including attaching docs out of it.  It's not perfect.  There are some clunky menus, but once I got accustomed to it, I was fine.

Ahhh good to know. That's not something I do often but it's pretty vital when I do. I may need to think about getting the pro version when my tax return comes. I need to look into how many devices one app purchase can work on as well, I'm debating getting an HDX.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 08:31:56 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;135985
I'll start.  Is anyone using OfficeSuite Professional 7 on their Kindle Fire HD? It seems to be the full version of the light word processing app that comes installed on the Fire.  It's currently priced at $14.99, which isn't cheap, but is a helluva lot better than MS Office.

OfficeSuite Professional 7 is the Amazon App Store's free app of the day today (24 March 2014). If you use have an Android device and have any need for a office suite, this is a deal you will now want to miss. OfficeSuite Professional 7 is normally $14.99.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:12 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;143472
OfficeSuite Professional 7 is the Amazon App Store's free app of the day today (24 March 2014). If you use have an Android device and have any need for a office suite, this is a deal you will now want to miss. OfficeSuite Professional 7 is normally $14.99.

Ooh interesting. I have to upgrade my phone soon (since OfficeSuite would be pretty useless on the phone I have now), so I might 'purchase' it and download it in the future (which is what I do with a lot of the free apps and books that pop up on Amazon).
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Tags: