"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Kemetic on a modern calendar?  (Read 3365 times)

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Kemetic on a modern calendar?
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:15 am »
So I've been puzzling a bit about festivals. I've never really gotten into celebrating the festivals, and this relates to a practical issue that I think is a theological issue as well. That is: community. I have a hard time getting into celebrating the festivals disconnected from the people around me - with no external cues for what's going on, and as an entirely solitary endeavor. Now that's a personal issue, but if we see Kemeticism as a religion focused on ma'at, on *binding communities together*, then that's a theological issue as well. You can't bind communities together by setting your binding together apart from the community.

Now I've, since last year, been considering Christmas a ka festival. More than a Christian religious occasion, for me, Christmas is about remembering family and ancestors, about recognizing the ties that bind me to other people and investing in those. Christmas gift giving, and sending holiday cards, in that way, has become a religious act to me - I offer gifts to my loved ones' kas, that they may be fed. This not only makes theological sense to me, but it's a sustainable practice, because it is embedded in my actual community, and with there being reminders of the season all around, I'm not likely to go "Oh, shit... $festival was a week ago and I totally forgot!".

So I've been thinking about elaborating this concept, and seeing how I can tie celebrations of Kemetic concepts and holidays to secular celebrations in my actual community. I'm just starting to puzzle on this, and am looking for feedback - are there things I'm totally overlooking in this process? Holidays or celebrations this utterly won't work for (f'ex, for various reasons, I find myself reluctant to mess with the Days upon the Year and Wep Ronpet this way)? Suggestions for things that might match up well?

--Chabas

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Kemetic on a modern calendar?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:12:34 pm »
Quote from: Chabas;134895

So I've been thinking about elaborating this concept, and seeing how I can tie celebrations of Kemetic concepts and holidays to secular celebrations in my actual community. I'm just starting to puzzle on this, and am looking for feedback - are there things I'm totally overlooking in this process? Holidays or celebrations this utterly won't work for (f'ex, for various reasons, I find myself reluctant to mess with the Days upon the Year and Wep Ronpet this way)? Suggestions for things that might match up well?

Well, many holidays just honor certain deities. I know of someone (I think it is Veggiewolf or SatSekhem) who puts the dates of festivals on her phone and has set up automatic reminders for festival days.  

In my calendar, I'm keeping this simple until I can get a computer to do the math for me.  So 2 Peret Day 1 is January 1 for me or 1 Akhet Day 1 is August 1.  My calendar for Aset Festivals is here:  Calendar

Sometimes I find it hard to decide what to do for each festival.  Like for a Feast of Aset, you could cook food for Her and offer it (and then eat it).  And a Festival of Aset could be used for general celebration (still working this out) or if it has an epithet associated with it, then go off of that.  "Aset, upon the Head of Ra" is an Eye of Ra festival, etc.  I think honoring the ancient holidays is important to the restoration of this religious tradition.  But I also think adding to it is necessary for this work.  

For the modern festival, St. Valentine's Day, I'd honor the Gods and Goddesses of Love: Hetharu, Aset (for family or self-love), Min, Bast or Mut, etc.  I definitely agree with you and honor Christmas as an ancestor or ka holiday.  Independence Day could honor the Gods and Goddesses of government or the State or freedom or civic duty: Ma'at, Hetharu, Heru Wer, Heru-sa-Aset, Aset, etc.  Veteran's and Memorial Day (or another equivalent) could be celebrated as honoring the military dead and maybe a deity associated with war and death.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:06:13 pm »

As I recall, Veggie is in the process of making Labor Day a Ma'at holyday. The inauguration of the PM could be a holyday for Set & Heru. Veteran's/Rememberance Day, Mother's Day, and Father's Day could all be pretty easily tied to. Earth Day for Geb. Arbor Day for the various Ladies of the Sycamore.

I guess it might be easier to start the other way around: what holidays are actively celebrated in your area? What brings people together? And then start distilling down the actual intention of the day, and go from there.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:43:12 pm »
So I've been puzzling a bit about festivals. I've never really gotten into celebrating the festivals, and this relates to a practical issue that I think is a theological issue as well. That is: community. I have a hard time getting into celebrating the festivals disconnected from the people around me - with no external cues for what's going on, and as an entirely solitary endeavor. Now that's a personal issue, but if we see Kemeticism as a religion focused on ma'at, on *binding communities together*, then that's a theological issue as well. You can't bind communities together by setting your binding together apart from the community.

Now I've, since last year, been considering Christmas a ka festival. More than a Christian religious occasion, for me, Christmas is about remembering family and ancestors, about recognizing the ties that bind me to other people and investing in those. Christmas gift giving, and sending holiday cards, in that way, has become a religious act to me - I offer gifts to my loved ones' kas, that they may be fed. This not only makes theological sense to me, but it's a sustainable practice, because it is embedded in my actual community, and with there being reminders of the season all around, I'm not likely to go "Oh, shit... $festival was a week ago and I totally forgot!".

--Chabas

SatAset and Juni both mentioned things I do - I have festivals on my Google calendar and reminders pop-up on my smartphone.  I am also working, slowly, on putting civil holidays in a Kemetic context - Labor Day becoming a festival for Ma'at, for example, or Christmas as a ka festival.  

I think there are endless possibilities, especially if we're considering in which community to celebrate them - Memorial Day/Remembrance Day as an akhu festival, Midsummer as a celebrate of the Eye Goddesses, etc.  Why not smash old plates during New Year's Eve as an execration?

I also find myself reluctant to mess with Wep Ronpet and the Days Upon the Year, but I think it is because those times have become deeply personal for me and my path.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 07:54:36 pm »
I've never really gotten into celebrating the festivals, and this relates to a practical issue that I think is a theological issue as well. That is: community.

Quote from: Juni;134937
As I recall, Veggie is in the process of making Labor Day a Ma'at holyday.

I also have never really "done" festivals as part of my path, but as I'm going in a more recon-ish direction I've been thinking about them more. And thinking about community more. So basically I agree with what Chabas said.

And I've also thought that Labor Day would be a good time to do something, only I had no idea what. For one thing, there aren't many existing traditions for that day as there are for, say, Halloween or Christmas; I'm not sure if that would make developing a festival easier or harder. Also, the way I see it, the beginning of the school year is a big annual event, somewhat like the arrival of the flood was in AE.

I like the idea of Christmas as a Ka festival because that's pretty much what I've been doing anyway, without realizing there was a religious dimension to it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Obsydian

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Kemetic on a modern calendar?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:39:38 pm »
I've been wanting to celebrate festivals of Bast, however I'm yet to find a perfect list of when and what they are and how they are celebrated. I suppose that's something I need to decide for myself?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »
Quote from: Obsydian;135038

A Reminder:
Hi, Obsydian,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 06:48:25 pm »
I've been wanting to celebrate festivals of Bast, however I'm yet to find a perfect list of when and what they are and how they are celebrated. I suppose that's something I need to decide for myself?

There isn't really a "perfect list" of Bast festivals. They certainly do exist, but there is nothing like a Wheel of the Year type format where everything is laid out for you and everyone does the same thing. Unfortunately we have very few festivals that are very detailed. For some, we just have dates and names. Plus, the timing of festivals changes depending on what calendar you use.

I know the Kemetic Orthodoxy has the Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook which has a version of their own calendar in there. IIRC, it isn't sourced extensively but Tamara Siuda knows what she's doing when it comes to her research, so I don't doubt the authenticity behind it. Plus, some of their festivals have taken on their own "flavour" so to speak, which I think is pretty great because it goes to show it's a living community meeting the needs of it's followers!

I'm not sure if she has any listed, but I know Kiya (Darkhawk) has her own calendar on her website Het Seshen which is a fixed calendar and thus does not move (unless I think there is an extra day added on to keep things from moving too far off?). This is the calendar dating system that I generally use, and then plug in the information  I have collected to have a date to actually celebrate it on.

I have to head out here in a few minutes, but I'll try looking to see if I have any notes left from when I did research into Bast and her festivals.

Hope this could give you a head start though! :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Obsydian

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 07:22:52 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;135083
I know the Kemetic Orthodoxy has the Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook which has a version of their own calendar in there. IIRC, it isn't sourced extensively but Tamara Siuda knows what she's doing when it comes to her research, so I don't doubt the authenticity behind it. Plus, some of their festivals have taken on their own "flavour" so to speak, which I think is pretty great because it goes to show it's a living community meeting the needs of it's followers!

I'm not sure if she has any listed, but I know Kiya (Darkhawk) has her own calendar on her website Het Seshen which is a fixed calendar and thus does not move (unless I think there is an extra day added on to keep things from moving too far off?). This is the calendar dating system that I generally use, and then plug in the information  I have collected to have a date to actually celebrate it on.

I have to head out here in a few minutes, but I'll try looking to see if I have any notes left from when I did research into Bast and her festivals.

Hope this could give you a head start though! :)

Thank you, that does help a lot!  I'm going to check out that webpage, as well as get myself the prayer book as soon as funds allow.  I do appreciate anything else you happen to find as well.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:26:30 pm by Obsydian »

Shefyt

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firecat.net/lapis
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:34:58 pm »

There's a cluster of Bast-related stuff at the beginning of the fourth month of Peret (Growing). When exactly that is depends on when you set the beginning of your calendar, but according to the Kemetic Orthodox calendar it's around the beginning of March. 4 Peret 1-4 is the Feast of Ra and the Eye of Ra; 4 Peret 4 is the Day of Chewing Onions for Bast; and 4 Peret 5 is the Appearance of Bast in Her Boat. We don't really know what Onion Day entailed in ancient Kemet, but our local KO people usually do something for it--here's a post about it on my blog.

I also celebrate a significant Bast festival (the Feast of Bast Guards the Two Lands) in late 1 Peret, so it was back around December 21. Again, I don't know what they did back when; I treat it as a sort of "light in the darkness" type of thing.

I've made up my own personal calendar with one Bast festival per month, based on the Kemetic Orthodox calendar, though admittedly I stole some festivals from other Gods, since there weren't quite enough specifically for Her. This is still a work in progress, though, so I'm not ready to share in detail about it, but if you check the "Festivals" category on my blog, you should see some posts about things I've done (along with festivals for other Gods).

Hope this helps!

-Shefyt
I have not taken time away from the day;
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
--Megegi of Thebes

Shefyt

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firecat.net/lapis
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »

Some things I've done:

Memorial Day for honoring soldier Akhu, calling upon Heru-hekenu (a form of Heru associated with embalming ungents).

Easter as a festival for Wenut

I like the idea of Herishefgiving for Thanksgiving that some people came up with; I might steal that next year.

I know most of these aren't relevant for you, being in Europe, but maybe they'll give some ideas? (Also, I just realized that they don't actually tie into ancient festivals; they're basically just grafting Gods onto modern ones, so I'm not sure if that was what you were looking for.)

-Shefyt
I have not taken time away from the day;
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
--Megegi of Thebes

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 01:12:56 pm »
Quote from: Shefyt;135154

Thanks, Shefyt, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. It's the kind of stuff I imagine a Kemetic person living abroad might do - relate their religion to the local culture.

Particular days are, indeed, different, but some match up - and even if things don't match up, there are often days that are similar enough so I can use them for inspiration. Also, I think that personal interests will influence the specifics anyways.

--Chabas

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:01 pm »

--Chabas

Mmmmm well I know a few Kemetics have tied pre-existing western holidays to Kemetic concepts.
For example.. you've got Herishef-giving. Moomas (Christmas) or Dickmas. I'm working on tieing Set to Valentines Day.
There are ways to do it- just depends on what types of things you want from your festivals and holidays. I personally don't do holidays, even when I wasn't Kemetic- so its never really translated into my practice.

You may find KRT's discussion on it interesting: http://www.roundtable.kemeticrecon.com/negotiating-holidays/ and http://www.roundtable.kemeticrecon.com/kemetic-calendars-and-holidays/

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 09:20:12 pm »

--Chabas

The only ones I've really done are things like ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day as days to remember the war dead/military dead. Those two seem to be the important days for me. I haven't really felt a compulsion to do the same to any other holidays.

I know it's partly ancestral, because my maternal grandparents were involved in WWII, so it's personal, as well as honouring all the war dead in a more general sort of way.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Ubenma'at

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:41 pm »

--Chabas

I'm wary of using other holidays as kemetic holidays since some of them (Xmas, Easter, Passover, etc.) involve their own deities that I don't want to offend.
How did Dorothy get out of Oz? Short answer? By killing.

Tags: