Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: How to explain Heathenry without sounding like a LotR nut?  (Read 5988 times)

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
Re: How to explain Heathenry without sounding like a LotR nut?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;134941
Oddly enough it was a LOTR conversation that really pushed me over the hump and started me on the spiritual journey I am on now........

I loved LotR before I found Asatru, so I can relate. I'm not a total LotR nut IRL, but it definitely has a warm and fuzzy spot in my heart, then and even more so now! :)

As to your question...... one could use the whole "religion of the ancestors" thing. I think most people would be somewhat satisfied with that.

And if that's not why I do it? My ancestors do happen to be Germanic, for the most part, but that's not why I'm heathen myself.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 04:18:52 pm »
Quote from: Sage;134942
Maybe in terms of popularity but in terms of what feels closer to the source material? I mean i say this as a non heathen so salt shakers handy, but LOTR feels like a better primer on heathen philosophy and world view and narrative structure than the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (Not that one can't find the gods anywhere, but LOTR is pretty damn popular itself, even before Peter Jackson's movies came out, so it's not like making a LOTR analogy would only work for a teeny niche group.)

I agree (which is why I reference it for people sometimes). I mean, Tolkein was a professor of the stuff, and I do think Jackson's movies are true in spirit.

That said, and this is off topic somewhat, but as far as being true to the source material, I think it's probably unintentional, but I get such a huge kick out of the humorous bits in the Thor movies. I find that bit of comic relief true to him and to his stories. The part where he comes into the house and neatly hangs his hammer on the coat rack just slays me!
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 04:20:42 pm »
Quote from: Ula;134948
I don't really want anyone using either movie to investigate the religion so I would try to keep it away from both. Reducing the "Marvel universe" down to just Thor is easier than dissecting LOTR. At least to me, but I am not a reconstructionist.

(My emphasis.)

I find this generally interesting... Norse myth in popular culture: LotR as the reconstructionist flavor, and Marvel's Thor as the non-reconstructionist flavor!

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 07:49:43 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;134969
I loved LotR before I found Asatru, so I can relate. I'm not a total LotR nut IRL, but it definitely has a warm and fuzzy spot in my heart, then and even more so now! :)

I had read a fair bit about pagan and heathen religions for a few years, but it was just in passing.
One evening my oldest son (he was about 14 at the time) and I were watching one of the LOTR movies and I made a comment about that if there had actually been elves, I wondered where the went. He told me I should grow up LOL, that it was all make believe. So I set out to find out what happened to the elves, and somehow ended up here at TC (the previous version of the board) and the rest is history.

Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;134969

And if that's not why I do it? My ancestors do happen to be Germanic, for the most part, but that's not why I'm heathen myself.

Then just tell the truth I guess. If you end up sounding like a LOTR nut, well...... there are worse things to be :):)
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:17 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;134970

That said, and this is off topic somewhat, but as far as being true to the source material, I think it's probably unintentional, but I get such a huge kick out of the humorous bits in the Thor movies. I find that bit of comic relief true to him and to his stories. The part where he comes into the house and neatly hangs his hammer on the coat rack just slays me!

Totally. One of my christmas presents was money to go see it in the theater here (small town, we get stuff after the fact LOL) and a friend of mine was there too. They asked me if any of the way its presented bothered me. It really doesn't cause it is what it is - a movie. I honestly think that they capture the essence of Thor pretty well. Odin not so much though maybe.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;135091
It really doesn't cause it is what it is - a movie. I honestly think that they capture the essence of Thor pretty well. Odin not so much though maybe.

I am not a reconstructionist myself, but when I have to explain my practices to someone who is absolutely lay on the issue, I tend to use easy, broad terms and analogies, mostly involving daily lfe examples, with three purposes: 1) not to shock the inquirer, 2) make myself crystal clear and 3) not have religious persecution against me. People in my area are basically christian, both catholics and protestants, Heathenry is not something they understand as a valid option.

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 09:51:59 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;134850
So this is sparked by a conversation I had with a friend the other night. Out of the blue, he asked me what my religion was. So I started to explain it to him, and I said something about it being similar to what inspired Tolkein in writing The Lord of the Rings.

I've used this comparison in the past, because it connects to something people are familiar with, and it's seemed to go over well. But this particular friend then started getting stuck on whether I believe in trolls. Lol. This led to a conversation about jotun that was a bit more than I felt I could adequately explain on the fly, but we made it through. :)

I don't often talk about my religion to people outside my "inner circle," and I don't mind with friends, but I'll admit it's a bit uncomfortable for me. Because I don't do it very often, I'm never sure if I'm accurately communicating what I'd like to them or if I just sound like, well, a LotR nut.

So, as a heathen or Asatruar, how do you (or how would you) explain your religion to people who have no concept of anything outside of JCI religions? Or even how do you differentiate for people who think pagan = Wicca and/or magic?

Generally, I say I work with the pre-christian gods of Northern Europe.  If they want further information.. I tell them about Odin, or Firgga.. and if they really inquisitive I'll tell them I serve Frey .

Demeter Hedgewitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »
So this is sparked by a conversation I had with a friend the other night. Out of the blue, he asked me what my religion was. So I started to explain it to him, and I said something about it being similar to what inspired Tolkein in writing The Lord of the Rings.

I've used this comparison in the past, because it connects to something people are familiar with, and it's seemed to go over well. But this particular friend then started getting stuck on whether I believe in trolls. Lol. This led to a conversation about jotun that was a bit more than I felt I could adequately explain on the fly, but we made it through. :)

I don't often talk about my religion to people outside my "inner circle," and I don't mind with friends, but I'll admit it's a bit uncomfortable for me. Because I don't do it very often, I'm never sure if I'm accurately communicating what I'd like to them or if I just sound like, well, a LotR nut.

So, as a heathen or Asatruar, how do you (or how would you) explain your religion to people who have no concept of anything outside of JCI religions? Or even how do you differentiate for people who think pagan = Wicca and/or magic?

I remember a video that came out that had Druids doing a ritual. This guy got on there and asked 'if they are taken to the site by their mother so they can play dungeons and dragons?' I asked him why he had a problem with the ritual and he said, 'oh their not real Druids.' I really shook my head and blocked him.

Ferelia

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:45 am »

Since I live in Germany, it's kind of complicated to explain being asatru to most of the people. If you say "heathen", most of them will understand "not christian/jewish/muslim, probably atheist". I just leave it by that most of the time.

If you say "asatru" and explain it by using one or even more of the words "Odin, Thor, norse gods, germanic people" they think you are a nazi and racist. Really. Germans have a huge problem with their own culture which includes that being proud of nearly anything somehow german automatically means being racist (there's a joke saying "I live in Germany, where everybody can be proud of his cultural heritage, except for the Germans.") Since some symbols like runes were used during WW2, especially asatru looks suspicious for those not involved. Additionally, a lot of german nazis and racists today still use runes or shout names of nordic gods despite knowing almost nothing about the old myths... :mad:

That's why I only told two people about asatru (besides people from pagan message boards, who already know about asatru and/or are more open to the topic). These are a very good friend (somewhat heathen, too) and my boyfriend (who grew up catholic and is still forced to be member of the church, but would rather not be baptized, really likes the flying spaghetti monster and the nordic myths I tell him). At first they both only knew that I liked norse myths very much, later I just mentioned that one could also see these norse gods, myths and customs as symbols, just like in other religions, and that many of the "christian" customs developed from them. And that there are still people who honor these gods, like in Iceland where you can marry asatru-style. And that my own type of spirituality could be most likely described as asatru :whis:

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 06:04:51 pm »
Quote from: Ferelia;155778
Since I live in Germany, it's kind of complicated to explain being asatru to most of the people.

Interesting point; I'm sure that has to be more difficult. I know Hitler used Norse myths and symbols, but I never thought about how that affected modern Pagans / Heathens. Your personal explanation makes sense though.

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 08:41:51 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;134920
Which then brings up the Thor action movies as a common reference point. Lol.

If this is someone whose house you might visit someday(or that you might go on a diner run with), it might be wise to put emphasis on at least one of the major differences between Thor the movie and Thor the deity.

For example, most Heathens do not, in fact, show approval of coffee by smashing the cup and asking for another and usually tend more toward an audible sigh and immense gratitude.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 11:40:22 am »
Quote from: Ghost235;162328

For example, most Heathens do not, in fact, show approval of coffee by smashing the cup and asking for another and usually tend more toward an audible sigh and immense gratitude.

Generally it is glasses that get smashed, after a toast is made and drunk, to prevent those glass from being used for a lesser toast.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 06:59:13 pm »
Quote from: Ghost235;162328

Shards are pesky. I only use Styrofoam cups for visitors' coffee, so that the smashing requires less clean up.

Tags: