Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Poll

Are you a Celtic Pagan?

\'m strictly a Celtic Pagan.
19 (22.6%)
\'m a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff too.
34 (40.5%)
 do Celtic stuff, but I\'m not a Celtic Pagan.
8 (9.5%)
\'m not a Celtic Pagan at all.
3 (3.6%)
\'m not sure.
14 (16.7%)
biquitous other!
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Are you a Celtic Pagan?  (Read 11231 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Are you a Celtic Pagan?
« on: July 03, 2011, 03:13:54 pm »
I'm curious about the diversity of our little SIG! SO I thought I'd make a little poll.

I voted 'I'm not sure.' which might seem strange coming from one of the SIG leaders! But, it's true. I do work with four Irish Celtic deities, and a lot of my worldview is informed by the Celts. At the same time, though, my practice also includes equal parts Hellenic and Kemetic influence, along with smaller influences from other sources. So I'm not really sure, right at the moment.

What about you?
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
Re: Are you a Celtic Pagan?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:24:03 pm »
Quote from: Juni;432
What about you?

Yay polls!

I voted "I'm a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff too.", which I think fits. I'm pretty well grounded in a general... Celtic sense of the world and my devotion to Brighid, but I think my work with stories could fall more somewhere outside of the Celtic sphere of influence.

Or rather, that work and even my work with Brighid could stretch "beyond Celtic," given my views about Brighid Herself, and my views about Stories.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:07:06 pm »

What about you?

Ubiquitous other. I thought for a long time that I was Celtic based. Not so sure now XD
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:14:15 pm »

What about you?

Polls are so cool. :)

I settled on "I'm a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff, too," for a lot of the same reasons Finn talked about.

In some ways, I consider myself primarily Celtic because that's my heritage/ancestry in a very literal way (Irish and Welsh, mostly)... so no matter what I end up doing, it'll have that "Celtic" flavor as an undercurrent or subconscious influence. Kind of like how, having been raised in America, I'll always also have a certain "American" flavor to my spirituality, even if I were to move away.

One favorite aspect of my spiritual path, in fact, is exploring non-Celtic practices and such and seeing how they can inform or connect with my sense of "Celtic-ness." That's been a real challenge at times - sometimes fruitful, and sometimes just frustrating!

--Ali

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:17:18 pm »
What about you?

I don't know when I become mostly Celtic, but it seems to have snuck up without me noticing. :) I started with interest in ADF Druidry with the intention of honoring a Greek Hearth Culture. Then I started exploring Irish and Welsh Hearths. Then Brighid said hello in November 2010... then I started identifying as primarily Celtic Druid (Irish, though there are some Welsh deities I'd like to get to know better)... and now most of my other deity "contacts" from other cultures don't interact so much with me anymore. I don't feel it too much as a loss - I've gained a new path, and I'm excited about it.

My current exception is a new exploration into Buddhism (Mahayana and Zen). A lot of that is clicking for me, though some of the metaphysical aspects (particularly karma and reincarnation) don't really mesh.

Sage (Ellen)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:17:39 pm by Sage »
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:26:38 am »

What about you?

I voted "other."  Although my interests are pretty clearly focused on the Celtic culture, my spiritual path is focused exclusively on Brighid, and I believe She is not limited to the Celtic world.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 02:27:58 am »

What about you?

"I'm a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff too."
Although I'm a Celtic speaker living in one of the 6 Celtic nations(Ireland), I'm not 'strictly a Celtic pagan.' I adhere to the traditions of this island, but am involved in others as well, most notably related to the Western Mystery Tradition.
Semper Fidelis

Taliesin

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:57:49 am »

What about you?

Loving this whole new set-up! :D

I voted 'I'm a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff too' for similar reasons to those above. My focus is pretty much entirely Celtic, yes, but I feel that my beliefs and inspirations draw from other places also, particularly Eastern religions. Perhaps the shared affinity has something to do with the similarities between Celtic myth and the Vedas? I don't know. :')
Cambiano solo le onde, sempre uguali e sempre diverse.
Feel free to leave a candle at the Manannán shrine.

Harzgeist

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 09:33:12 am »

What about you?

"I'm a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff too," for some of the reasons specified upthread. And because I worship Thor.
I also draw inspiration from religious discussions with a very good friend of mine, who is a Buddhist, and I started yoga recently as a sort-of spiritual practice of connecting more with myself and the Gods. So while I'm very close to Ireland and Celtic ideas, there are also other areas where I get inspiration from.
give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:52:11 am »
Quote from: Harzgeist;617
"I'm a Celtic Pagan, though I do non-Celtic stuff too," for some of the reasons specified upthread. And because I worship Thor.
I also draw inspiration from religious discussions with a very good friend of mine, who is a Buddhist, and I started yoga recently as a sort-of spiritual practice of connecting more with myself and the Gods. So while I'm very close to Ireland and Celtic ideas, there are also other areas where I get inspiration from.

I'm a bit in the same boat - less with Thor (though I think he's a pretty nifty guy and have wanted a Thor's Hammer since my very early Pagan days with Asatru) but more with the Buddhist discussion and yoga practice. I don't know why, but yoga especially (the pose and breathing practices most known in the West) seems to jive with my Celtic spirituality.
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »
What about you?

I consider myself mainly Celtic (my main gods are Morrigan, Brighid, and Manannan) but I do things that are non-Celtic as well, so that's what I voted.

Buddhism is comforting to me because it's my mom's belief system (well, idea system, as she thinks beliefs are the source of all evil in the world but ANYway) and what I was raised with. I'll probably never totally drop aspects of the practice.

There are other beliefs I have, and my worldview in general is healthily eclectic, I think. It does influence my religion to a certain extent.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 05:20:50 pm »
Quote from: Morag;864
Buddhism is comforting to me because it's my mom's belief system (well, idea system, as she thinks beliefs are the source of all evil in the world but ANYway) and what I was raised with. I'll probably never totally drop aspects of the practice.

Man, I know so many Celts with Buddhist tendencies. I wonder what's up with that? :) Do you focus on a particular Buddhist tradition?
I shall endure.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 07:07:34 pm »
Quote from: Sage;914
Man, I know so many Celts with Buddhist tendencies. I wonder what's up with that? :)

I know that after reading this book, The Quantum and the Lotus, I felt that my concept of the universe and the Buddhist concept of inter-relatedness/relationship are highly compatible. Since I think (hah) my concept of the universe is a pretty Celtic one, it follows pretty simply from there.

In any case, there's a great deal of relevant and related thought to be found if you compare similar ideas in the Vedas and Celtic cosmology. And I think the Vedas create a very solid foundation for many of the fundamental ideas of Buddhism.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 11:36:52 pm »
Quote from: Sage;914
Man, I know so many Celts with Buddhist tendencies. I wonder what's up with that? :) Do you focus on a particular Buddhist tradition?

Vajrayana/Tibetan/tantric tradition. Or, you know, whatever I've picked up from my mom. ^_^

Re: Celts with Buddhist tendencies. A friend's mom said that through her work with Kwan Yin she was informed that I was marked by Kwan Yin, who is spiritual sister/different incarnation with/of Tara, or the first goddess/bodhisattva I ever interacted with. This occurred while she and I were talking about knitting and my relationship with Brighid -- I turned around for a moment, and she had a vision of a lotus on my back (which is where my mom has her lotus/Tibetan knot tattoo).

So I'm pretty sure that Brighid and Kwan Yin/Tara are in communication on some level. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 11:45:27 pm »
Quote from: Finn;1001
In any case, there's a great deal of relevant and related thought to be found if you compare similar ideas in the Vedas and Celtic cosmology. And I think the Vedas create a very solid foundation for many of the fundamental ideas of Buddhism.

There are quite a few interesting parallels between various Indo-European cultures s'why ADF focuses on IE cultures rather than say just Celtic. :)

Tags: