Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Home: Indoor (Apartment) Composting  (Read 2436 times)

alternating_illusion

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Indoor (Apartment) Composting
« on: December 25, 2013, 10:14:58 pm »
Has anyone done this? I've begun researching it online as I'm moving into my own apartment next week (finally!) but have been a little overwhelmed by all the options. So I know that it is supposed to be doable. But has anyone here done it? Did you feel like the smell became unmanageable? Any pitfalls to avoid? What are some things you can do with the compost if you have more than you need? (I'd only be doing some indoor house plants.) I was also thinking of using worms. Is this a good idea? I've always wanted to compost but have never been able to, so if I can make it work, I'd love to do it. I just want to make sure it's feasible and figured I'd see if anyone here has tried it before.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:35:52 am by RandallS »

Elementalist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor (Apartment) Composting
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:39:07 pm »
Quote from: alternating_illusion;134011
Has anyone done this? I've begun researching it online as I'm moving into my own apartment next week (finally!) but have been a little overwhelmed by all the options. So I know that it is supposed to be doable. But has anyone here done it? Did you feel like the smell became unmanageable? Any pitfalls to avoid? What are some things you can do with the compost if you have more than you need? (I'd only be doing some indoor house plants.) I was also thinking of using worms. Is this a good idea? I've always wanted to compost but have never been able to, so if I can make it work, I'd love to do it. I just want to make sure it's feasible and figured I'd see if anyone here has tried it before.

Yes. I used a worm farm hidden as a coffee table in my living area. There is no smell to speak of as long as you have enough worms. Worms can consume a kilo of greens a day if you have around 1000 of so. They are easy to keep, the bed rarely needs changing and the liquid is easily drained off and used for your indoor plants. I used coconut coir for bedding and a heap of cardboard and paper. You can compost paper obviously and also all greens except onions, orange peel and pineapple. Dont compost meat in it.

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor (Apartment) Composting
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:30:02 pm »
Quote from: Elementalist;163443
Yes. I used a worm farm hidden as a coffee table in my living area. There is no smell to speak of as long as you have enough worms. Worms can consume a kilo of greens a day if you have around 1000 of so. They are easy to keep, the bed rarely needs changing and the liquid is easily drained off and used for your indoor plants. I used coconut coir for bedding and a heap of cardboard and paper. You can compost paper obviously and also all greens except onions, orange peel and pineapple. Dont compost meat in it.

I also have a worm farm indoors. Other than a small suicide run by the worms when I first set it up, I have no smell and no mess.

Tags: