collapse

Author Topic: some doubt's with ADF  (Read 2448 times)

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
some doubt's with ADF
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:34:01 pm »
Hello!

In the past month I was very confused about my path. So I took some time to sort my mind and its time again to start.

I'm member of ADF, I'm doing my DP, but I do have problems with the Hearth Culture. I can choose one to so my DP, but I can't choose one to be my personal hearth culture. I don't have strong connection to all things in each Hearth Culture.

If I choose Celtic Culture for my personal work, I have beliefs like Karma, which are not part of the Celtic culture. I have some other ideas which are not part of one culture but of another. Also, I believe every god is true, not just of the Hearth Culture I can choose. I don't feel very good choosing one culture for my personal practice, I feel it limit me with the nature, I like to be free in this aspect. Work with local spirits, local non-ie gods and some aspects of their culture. I have as I said beliefs I can't let go, because are part of me, rebirth is one of those.

I'm approaching ADF wrong? I can choose one Hearth Culture to learn more about it, to know how to approach each god in their proper way, but I simple can't choose or stick with one Hearth Culture to work in my personal spiritual life.

Also, for people in OBOD how does it help or how do you mix your ADF studies with them? I'm planning or thinking in becoming a student there too. I want to know your experiences and how does they help, improve each other.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:34:44 pm by zamotcr »

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: some doubt's with ADF
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:13:32 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;133900

A hearth culture is just a concentration, not an exclusive set of beliefs.  In fact, if you pursue other paths (like the CTP or Clergy Training Program), you will need to have a working knowledge of other (if not all) of the Indo-European cultures.  Additionally, your personal practice (what you do outside of ADF) can include things like Karma.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:33:10 pm »

I'm member of ADF, I'm doing my DP, but I do have problems with the Hearth Culture. I can choose one to so my DP, but I can't choose one to be my personal hearth culture. I don't have strong connection to all things in each Hearth Culture.

And that's okay. I'm not active in ADF anymore but when I was working through my DP, I bounced between Hearth Cultures. Celtic one ritual, Greek the next, etc. You aren't required to grab a single Hearth Culture and never work beyond it; generally speaking, it's easier for some folks to narrow down their focus to a single culture and invest more time and energy learning and working with those gods than to be scattered across every conceivable Indo-European pantheon out there.

If I choose Celtic Culture for my personal work, I have beliefs like Karma, which are not part of the Celtic culture. I have some other ideas which are not part of one culture but of another.

Plenty of ADF members are also active in other religions. It doesn't matter if you believe in karma or not; it doesn't preclude you from ADF.

Also, I believe every god is true, not just of the Hearth Culture I can choose.

ADF is a polytheist organization that honors all the Indo-European gods so I'm not sure where you got the idea Hearth Cultures are the only gods you're supposed to believe it.

Work with local spirits, local non-ie gods and some aspects of their culture.

How much literature have you read about ADF? Have you read through the articles on the site and your DP Manual? Because honoring the Noble Ones -- the fae, the elves, the nymphs, the nature spirits -- is a big part of theology and ritual. Honoring local nature spirits is important too.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
some doubt's with ADF
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 02:56:04 am »
Also, for people in OBOD how does it help or how do you mix your ADF studies with them? I'm planning or thinking in becoming a student there too. I want to know your experiences and how does they help, improve each other.

I keep the two practices fairly separate, really, although they're not incompatible. OBOD leaves issues like choosing your gods (or not having any) entirely up to you - it's not part of the Bardic Grade to find anything like a hearth culture. Instead, it's a myth-based and land-focused practice, at least at the early level. Later, at Ovate level, there's a focus on things like seership, and the Druid level is about priesthood, leading ritual, etc. As you can see, that makes it very different from the ADF structure. They work very well together, in my opinion (although others disagree and find that the philosophies clash - you can only try it and find out for yourself there).
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »
Hello!

In the past month I was very confused about my path. So I took some time to sort my mind and its time again to start.

If I choose Celtic Culture for my personal work, I have beliefs like Karma, which are not part of the Celtic culture. I have some other ideas which are not part of one culture but of another. Also, I believe every god is true, not just of the Hearth Culture I can choose. I don't feel very good choosing one culture for my personal practice, I feel it limit me with the nature, I like to be free in this aspect. Work with local spirits, local non-ie gods and some aspects of their culture. I have as I said beliefs I can't let go, because are part of me, rebirth is one of those.

I'm approaching ADF wrong? I can choose one Hearth Culture to learn more about it, to know how to approach each god in their proper way, but I simple can't choose or stick with one Hearth Culture to work in my personal spiritual life.

Stephyj pretty much nailed everything I might've said. You can also join the DP mailing list and interact with peers and others who've completed the DP that way, a lot of folks have similar questions and it's nice to have a sounding board. Not to say you can't post here etc. it's just one more resource.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 05:49:37 pm »
Quote from: Asch;133960
Stephyj pretty much nailed everything I might've said. You can also join the DP mailing list and interact with peers and others who've completed the DP that way, a lot of folks have similar questions and it's nice to have a sounding board. Not to say you can't post here etc. it's just one more resource.

No, sorry, that wasn't me.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 06:38:11 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;133980
No, sorry, that wasn't me.

*headdesk* I'm sorry Sage. This is what I get for trying to Forum after a 14 hour day...

Raincloud

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 08:04:24 am »
I'm member of ADF, I'm doing my DP, but I do have problems with the Hearth Culture.

Hi Zamo,

I've been a member of ADF since 2007, and I've paid my membership up for the next 5 :) lol. I think I'll always stay just a regular member for this reason. I've tried a number of times to push myself to do the dedicant studies, but my heart has never been in it.

If you are up for a more radically liberal approach you could check out the Reformed Druids of Gaia. http://reformed-druids.org/

I think though, ultimately my struggles with ADF's vision of deity (their interpretation of polytheism) lead me back to examining Wiccan and soft polytheism which I am more comfortable with.

I find Hard polytheism a little hard to take coming from a more Universalist background.

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 11:28:39 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr

Thanks everyone! I took today ADF papers and I found an article by Ian. He states there that on a personal level it is better to take a "Home Hearth Culture" and when one is good with it, on time one will start adding or adapting other beliefs from other spiritual practices into it.

I think it is good advice. Having one personal hearth culture as a framework, but without leaving or throwing away other practices. :)

Tags: