Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: Kitty question  (Read 4402 times)

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Kitty question
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:53:15 pm »
One of my cats keeps jumping on my kitchen table and I'm not sure how to keep her down. Any advice?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:23:07 am by RandallS »

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:57:05 pm »
Quote from: Olivia;133745
One of my cats keeps jumping on my kitchen table and I'm not sure how to keep her down. Any advice?

Cats really hate citrus so maybe spray lemon juice on the table. (if it won't damage the surface) Or keep oranges or lemons in a basket there
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 03:28:19 pm »

I've never been very successful keeping my cats off surfaces, but I've heard some people say they've had luck putting down a layer of aluminum foil, which many cats don't like to walk on.

If you can figure out what about the table is so attractive to her, you may be able to provide a more appropriate option. For example my girl cat loves to lie on the glass dining room table in the summer because it's a cool surface under a fan. Other cats may be looking for vertical territory or just a good vantage point.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:48:10 pm »

I'm a bug sucker for them, so mine is pretty spoilt! She has the run of the house, but has scratched up the walls. There's a spray you can buy that they don't like (and I understand why it's foul!) which you can use. I got it for a couple quid on Amazon. Squirting them with a spray bottle works too (with water not the repellent! ) You sometimes feel like a meanie having to do it, but you gave to keep landlords happy.
Semper Fidelis

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 03:53:15 pm »

Do your kitties have someplace else to climb?  Maybe more than one thing, if you have several cats?  And maybe some catnip (or a drop of catnip essential oil) to give her a reason to climb appropriately?

Brina

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Kitty question
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;133763
I'm a bug sucker for them, so mine is pretty spoilt! She has the run of the house, but has scratched up the walls. There's a spray you can buy that they don't like (and I understand why it's foul!) which you can use. I got it for a couple quid on Amazon. Squirting them with a spray bottle works too (with water not the repellent! ) You sometimes feel like a meanie having to do it, but you gave to keep landlords happy.

I've seen that spray. Have you had pretty good luck with it? My two have started walking on counters and scratching at walls, even after trying aluminum foil and double-sided tape on the countertops.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;133769
I've seen that spray. Have you had pretty good luck with it? My two have started walking on counters and scratching at walls, even after trying aluminum foil and double-sided tape on the countertops.

Ha I know how they hate tape on their paws.....yea it did at first, but it takes a combination of that and the squirt bottle. She does it now&again when I'm away or at work, so am going to have to find a scratching post that she'll use.
Semper Fidelis

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Kitty question
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 07:26:23 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;133785
Ha I know how they hate tape on their paws.....yea it did at first, but it takes a combination of that and the squirt bottle. She does it now&again when I'm away or at work, so am going to have to find a scratching post that she'll use.

Mine like the one that's a curved piece with a corrugated cardboard insert, that I can sprinkle catnip down in. The wall scratching only happens on the walls that are behind the litterboxes, so I'm wondering if it might be a territorial thing.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;133764
Do your kitties have someplace else to climb?  Maybe more than one thing, if you have several cats?  And maybe some catnip (or a drop of catnip essential oil) to give her a reason to climb appropriately?

Brina

They have serval places to climb. I have a kitty condo in almost every room in the house. I'll try putting some cat nip on them. I'm also going to try the aluminum foil and if that fails the citrusy stuff. Thank you guys!

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:42:36 pm »

We always just used one of those water sprayers (like for hair styling) or kid's water guns (light stream, but enough for them to feel the icky wet). Worked well enough for any cat we've ever had. I can't guarantee it will always keep them off the surfaces, but it keeps them off when they know you're nearby. :P As long as you're consistent with it.

The christmas tree was always the big test for us as one of our cats always had to climb it... constantly... every two minutes....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:43:02 pm by Laveth »

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:48:26 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;133801

The christmas tree was always the big test for us as one of our cats always had to climb it... constantly... every two minutes....

If you can put a hook in the celling and tie the tree to it.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Tags: