collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Blót on a Budget  (Read 2243 times)

Raganhildis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Blót on a Budget
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:47 pm »
I know I've been spamming up the Heathenry SIG with threads lately, but I had another concern, namely, doing blóts on a budget. I read that you're expected to give an offering, usually mead/alcohol or food, but what if you're strapped for cash and need all your food? Would it be acceptable to give a small amount, or would that be considered rude?

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of alcohol (hate the aftertaste). The only drink we have in our house is water and milk, and we need the milk. What would you do in this situation, as a heathen?

I had wanted to turn my studying into action, to experience it, but it seems inappropriate to toast the god/ancestors with water and bread scraps.

Mark C.

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Blót on a Budget
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:39:02 am »
Quote from: Raganhildis;11605
I read that you're expected to give an offering, usually mead/alcohol or food, but what if you're strapped for cash and need all your food? Would it be acceptable to give a small amount, or would that be considered rude?

The Havamal has some pertinent advice on this. The first two lines of stanza 52 states, “No great thing needs a man to give, Oft little will win praise”. The first line of stanza 146 states, “Better no prayer than too big an offering”

So follow the advice of The High One (Odin) and know that you don’t need to give big offerings and that with little you can win praise.

There are also some things that cost little or nothing. As an example, you could write out a prayer or a poem and burn that as a gift. The point is to enter into a relationship of exchanging gifts. The gods don’t need anything from us. They are quite capable of looking after themselves and don’t need us to feed them. However, it is through the cycle of gift giving that relationships are formed and maintained. Something made and from the heart is sure to be taken as a very meaningful gift. Far more meaningful than the simple purchase of food. I also feel that having little to give makes whatever you can give all the more meaningful.

The gods would never look down on you because you have little to give. This is also clear from the Havamal. The second two lines of Stanza 75 say, “One man is wealthy and one is poor, yet scorn for him none should know”.

The bottom line is that you have nothing to worry about as big gifts are not expected; indeed they are actively warned against. There is no favour shown for the wealthy. So don’t worry about it. You’re good with whatever you can give.

I had wanted to turn my studying into action, to experience it, but it seems inappropriate to toast the god/ancestors with water and bread scraps.

I would feel that that is totally appropriate! I’m sure that such heart felt offerings will be enthusiastically approved of.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:41:10 am by Mark C. »

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:54:39 pm »
I know I've been spamming up the Heathenry SIG with threads lately, but I had another concern, namely, doing blóts on a budget. I read that you're expected to give an offering, usually mead/alcohol or food, but what if you're strapped for cash and need all your food? Would it be acceptable to give a small amount, or would that be considered rude?

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of alcohol (hate the aftertaste). The only drink we have in our house is water and milk, and we need the milk. What would you do in this situation, as a heathen?

Odin understands that I don't have a ton of money and that I can't afford to part with most of what I eat. I've found cheap, but not appearing cheap, ways of giving him his offering and not taking away from what I need.

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 12:08:26 am »

To me this seems to be the case of "make the best of what you have" and that the Gods will understand. I don't have tons of money either, so my blots in the past have been very basic, but I do try to find one item or decoration that stretches me a bit but doesn't break me; I don't mean so much so money wise, but perhaps something like an herb (chamomile or something else that Odin enjoys) that I've had to find out in nature and bring back home to use. Herb + water= tea (therefore not just plain old water anymore!)

I did do a blot where I showed Frigg some appreciation a while back and she did enjoy the milk that I left out for her overnight. It was just milk, nothing fancy or expensive, and it did perfectly fine as an offering.

I've also used small amounts of honey for the land wights that have taken up lodging in my garden and I try to make small offerings to them a few times in the summer.

To me, our ancestors (regardless of where they are from) had their good years and their bad years, and if Odin and any other Norse deity can understand and accept their humble offerings, I think that as long as you are trying and honest with Odin and yourself, that you'll be fine in the long run. Right now I'm continuing trying to find a bond with this maternal Goddess who I keep seeing symbolism connected to, and I'm making a point to light a candle a few moments each day and give her flowers from my garden. It's not gold, but hopefully I'll find something more with it.

Good luck.

Tags: