Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Nightmare MUX CHAT  (Read 3416 times)

Catzeye

• View Profile
Nightmare MUX CHAT
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:45:32 am »
Hi All,

I have been trying to access the MUX chat and I cant seem to get into it, the instructions dont make any sense and I was wondering if anyone can explain in a few simple steps?

Sorry for the bother, im a bit spastic!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Nightmare MUX CHAT
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:03:49 am »
Quote from: Catzeye;132899
Hi All,

I have been trying to access the MUX chat and I cant seem to get into it, the instructions dont make any sense and I was wondering if anyone can explain in a few simple steps?

Sorry for the bother, im a bit spastic!

I can't help you with your MUX issues, but there are a couple of things you may not know. TC is an international forum, with members from all over the world, and many of them from the UK and Ireland, where 'spastic', used in the way you use it here, is a very offensive dis/ableist slur . I realize your intent was to be self-deprecating and apologetic, but instead it's likely to disturb and anger many of our members.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:55:37 am »

Assuming you have a recent version of Flash installed and working in your browser, the easy way to access is to click on the Chat link in the board menu (under the Forum tab). The Flash chat client should come up on a new page. Click in the white command entry area at the bottom of the client. Type connect guest and hit enter. That will put you in chat.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 12:54:32 pm »

In addition to Randall's comments, a couple of things that might help:

- MUXes and their relatives (MUCK and MUSH are the other two kinds you might see) are relatively old bits of computer technology. That means they have some quirks about use that can take a bit of learning curve.

- Basically, what you're doing is connected to an online space that allows you to talk, interact with objects people create, and do some other things (talk privately to one or more people, for example, as well as to the entire room.) All the details are really about different ways to do that, and most of them you can learn as you go along.

So part of the "how do you" is just making the connection work, and part of it is learning how the MUX works. (Using the flash client is a great option so you're not learning two new things at once, but MU* client software gives you some more tools and options and lets you set things up the way you personally prefer.

- The basics are sort of like being in IM chat with someone, only it's multiple people, and it's not *quite* that easy. For example, in order to say things to other people, you need to indicate to the MUX that that's what you want to do. (So, basically, a command and then what you want to say/etc.

The two biggest ones to know are 'say' and 'pose'. To say something everyone can see, type quotation marks, and then what you want to say.

For example, if I'm on the MUX, and I type

"So, I was reading this book...

Everyone else will see:

Jenett says "So, I was reading this book."

(The quotation mark at the beginning is the command.)

If I want a little variation (I want somethign that isn't "Jenett says" all the time) I can use the : (colon) to pose. For example, if I type

:was reading this book.

Everyone else will see "Jenett was reading this book."

There are other tools, too, and you'll see people playing with them (and with coded objects), but those aren't necessary for the actual chat part, just don't be startled by them.

- On the Flash chat, you'll see that it shows you both what you typed, and how everyone else sees it. (And you'll also need to delete your previous comment before entering something new.) This can look a little confusing at first, but it's pretty straightforward once you get used to it.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: