Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: Fat/Skinny Mouse (and soon to come baby photos)  (Read 4452 times)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Fat/Skinny Mouse (and soon to come baby photos)
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:39:08 pm »
Jan Di two days ago:

Jan Di this morning:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:22:46 am by RandallS »

XenophonSpeaks

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Fat/Skinny Mouse (and soon to come baby photos)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:11:27 pm »
Quote from: Scales;132766
Jan Di two days ago:

Jan Di this morning:

My husband and I used to have mice when we were in college. We had a male that looked almost exactly like Jan Di, too. This is making me so nostalgic! How many babies?

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
Quote from: XenophonSpeaks;133050
My husband and I used to have mice when we were in college. We had a male that looked almost exactly like Jan Di, too. This is making me so nostalgic! How many babies?

She had 10, I just got in to count them today (don't want to pester her during bonding time, of course). They're still pink and not too cute but hopefully that will change soon (they're due to be fuzzy one christmas! the best gift there is!).

I have a boy who looks like her too, but with black eyes- her dad Annyong. He's the sweetest, friendliest mouse there ever was.

A couple months ago, checking out Jan Di's litter (she's one of the teeny yellow ones)

When he was just under four weeks old, he was somehow even cuter than now.

XenophonSpeaks

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:10:28 pm »
Quote from: Scales;133052
She had 10, I just got in to count them today (don't want to pester her during bonding time, of course). They're still pink and not too cute but hopefully that will change soon (they're due to be fuzzy one christmas! the best gift there is!).

I have a boy who looks like her too, but with black eyes- her dad Annyong. He's the sweetest, friendliest mouse there ever was.

Oh wow, 10! The most ours ever had was four, so that's quite impressive!They can be a little odd looking before they get fuzzy, that was one of the things that surprised me the most the first time I saw baby mice. Those pictures are precious.

Annyong sounds like my kind of mouse. I love when they enjoy being friendly and social.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:31:41 am »
Quote from: XenophonSpeaks;133074
Oh wow, 10! The most ours ever had was four, so that's quite impressive!They can be a little odd looking before they get fuzzy, that was one of the things that surprised me the most the first time I saw baby mice. Those pictures are precious.

Annyong sounds like my kind of mouse. I love when they enjoy being friendly and social.

Earlier he tried to groom my eyebrows and forehead-hair for me. If I give him a treat he doesn't like, he pretends to eat it until he thinks I'm not looking, then gently puts it down. He's ridiculously sweet.

Jan Di was from a litter of 12, which was her mom's first litter, so I had high hopes for her, but I don't know her mate's (not Annyong, obviously) family history. I've had litters from 5-12 mice so far, although the small litter was to a mouse that was nuts, so there could have been more that I didn't know of (she killed several of her litter at 2 weeks old, which is WAY to late for it to be natural for a mother mouse to cull her young- usually it's under three days old, and never supposed to be more than a week, and when reintroduced to the other non-preg females, she started beating them up. This is why I say nuts).

Jan Di's mom, Ronnie, Jan Di, and another mouse, Ethel are all having litters of 8-10 most of the time. Ethel I got as a feeder, but noticed she was about-to-pop pregnant, so kept her and she had a litter of 11 the night I brought her home. She was really unhealthy (not from my usual pet store, I was in a bind), and now she's still my ugliest mouse, hence the name, but has an actual coat of fur and meat on her bones.

Just to fill you in on random mouse history from me.

(I also have two other males, pink-eyed silver without a name and broken agouti without a name, and two more girls, an SPCA female I don't breed anymore named Nod (or Midge), and one of Ethel's older babies that I may or may not keep.)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:33:44 am by Scales »

XenophonSpeaks

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 12:15:46 pm »
Quote from: Scales;133077
Earlier he tried to groom my eyebrows and forehead-hair for me. If I give him a treat he doesn't like, he pretends to eat it until he thinks I'm not looking, then gently puts it down. He's ridiculously sweet.

Jan Di was from a litter of 12, which was her mom's first litter, so I had high hopes for her, but I don't know her mate's (not Annyong, obviously) family history. I've had litters from 5-12 mice so far, although the small litter was to a mouse that was nuts, so there could have been more that I didn't know of (she killed several of her litter at 2 weeks old, which is WAY to late for it to be natural for a mother mouse to cull her young- usually it's under three days old, and never supposed to be more than a week, and when reintroduced to the other non-preg females, she started beating them up. This is why I say nuts).

Annyong sounds super sweet indeed. We had one little dark gray mouse that was very sweet. She loved sitting in my husband's shirt pocket, which he absolutely loved.

Can I ask why you have so many mice? We originally had two females just as pets, and my husband wanted a third, but the store sold us a male and not a female so we ended up with some babies as a result, haha. Sounds to me like you must have a lot, though. Our girls had four litters of mice, and two of those were only two babies, one was three, and one was four. In one of those litters the mom ate every single baby, and that was when we decided maybe mice weren't for us after all and found them new homes. I can hardly wrap my mind around a litter of 12 since I only ever really saw very small litters, that's just crazy to me.

I can also see what you mean about the one mouse being a bit crazy. Two weeks old is way too late to be culling the young.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »
Jan Di two days ago:

Adorable.  Makes me want to peruse my old copy of Irene Brady's Wild Mouse.

Brina

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:43:43 pm »
Quote from: Scales;133052

A couple months ago, checking out Jan Di's litter (she's one of the teeny yellow ones)

Squeeee! So cute!

If I may ask, why are they in a bathtub?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 06:19:56 pm »
Quote from: XenophonSpeaks;133111
Can I ask why you have so many mice? We originally had two females just as pets, and my husband wanted a third, but the store sold us a male and not a female so we ended up with some babies as a result, haha.

We breed for feeders but keep the adults and special mice as pets.

Quote from: Sefiru;133148
Squeeee! So cute!

If I may ask, why are they in a bathtub?

Eight tiny mice can disappear in different directions REALLY quickly. It helps when I'm handling them, because then they're not coming in and out of their real house but they're not loose.

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 04:50:44 am »
Jan Di two days ago:

Jan Di this morning:

What a transformation! She is a super cutie btw. And the babies are ADORABLE! I want a mousie but I just got myself a couple of sweet little fancy rats :P

Sending snuggles to all ten little ones and to the proud mommah most of all! :)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 03:56:42 pm »

Couldn't post pictures because of familial business, but here's a photo from monday and a photo from just now. My camera is hiding (and sucks anyway), so they're webcam shots.

We're thinking about keeping one or two of a broken agouti, a broken black, a broken yellow, and possibly a burmese (he's male, but super handsome).

Tags: