Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Connection Issues  (Read 3578 times)

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Connection Issues
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:06:22 pm »
So, I read the FAQ and some of the chatlogs and am trying to get this MUX thing to work.  I'm on a phone right now; the Flash thing causes my broswer to crash.

As a result, I'm using a standalone telnet app (ConnectBot for Android) to try to connect, and it...almost works. I can get a connection, the 'welcome to CauldronMUX' info displays, but that's it. I'm not seeing any sort of response to my keyboard input, and (eventually) the connection closes due to lack of activity.

Hoping that someone can shed some light on whatever step I'm missing here; I'm not terribly experienced with non-browser forms of network wrangling, and it's eminently possibly I've misconfigured something somewhere.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Connection Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 10:06:10 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;132716
As a result, I'm using a standalone telnet app (ConnectBot for Android) to try to connect, and it...almost works. I can get a connection, the 'welcome to CauldronMUX' info displays, but that's it. I'm not seeing any sort of response to my keyboard input, and (eventually) the connection closes due to lack of activity.

Unfortunately, I don't have any Android devices so i can't test this, but from what little info there is about this app on Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.connectbot), it's a secure shell connection not a telnet connection. I suspect connecting to the MUX port with a secure shell connection would fail about like you describe as the server would not respond to the client in the manner a ssh client expects.

Searching for "Mud Client" yields a number of apps. A mud client should were better for CauldronMUX than a standard telnet client anyway. Blowtorch seems to be the best rated general purpose client (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.happygoatstudios.bt), but Lensdroid (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.lensmoor.lensmoorclient) and Mukluk (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crap.mukluk) also seem to have high ratings.

Edited to add links to second two general mud clients and correct typos -- Randall
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:56:42 am by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:13:42 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;132775
Unfortunately, I don't have any Android devices so i can't test this, but from what little info there is about this app on Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.connectbot), it's a secure shell connection not a telnet connection. I suspect connecting to the MUX port with a secure shell connection woulf fail about like you describe as the server would not respond to the client in the manner a ssh client expects.

Searching for "Mud Client" yields a number of apps. A mud client should were beared for CauldronMUX than a standard telnet client anyway. Blowtorch seems to be the best rated general purpose client (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.happygoatstudios.bt), but Lensdroid and Mukluk also seem to have high ratings.

Huh, okay. It had a 'telnet' tickybox but that was clearly not doing the Right Thing.  I'll look into Blowtorch.  Thanks. :)

(I've got another client working on my Windows machine at home now, as well, so. Hooray for technology.)
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Connection Issues
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:31:35 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;132777
Huh, okay. It had a 'telnet' tickybox but that was clearly not doing the Right Thing.  I'll look into Blowtorch.  Thanks. :)

(I've got another client working on my Windows machine at home now, as well, so. Hooray for technology.)

FWIW, Blowtorch works really well for me.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:57:59 am »
Quote from: RandallS;132775

Edited my message to add links to second two general mud clients and correct typos.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:58:38 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;132784
FWIW, Blowtorch works really well for me.

Then this is probably the one to try first. :)
Randall

Tags: