+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Mar 2017 @ 06:32 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Cauldron's "Up All Night" Solstice Celebration in About 1 Week

Holy crap--!! This has totally snuck up on me (like the rest of the holiday season). In case it's snuck up on you, I wanted to remind everybody that Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice, the 2013 edition of what's become The Cauldron's annual solstice celebration, is only about a week away!

When it begins: sunset on Saturday, December 21 (whatever time sunset happens in your location; so the thread will become active a little bit before the sun sets in the Australasian region)

When it ends: sunrise on Sunday, December 22 (whatever time that happens in your locale; many of us end up posting summations of our experience well into the next day...after we've finally gotten some sleep!)

For those who don't already know, the idea is simple: A bunch of us stay up all night on the Northern Hemisphere's winter solstice to celebrate the longest night of the year and the return of the sun afterwards. So we hang out here in The Cauldron, in a special thread devoted to the night's festivities and in chat, to keep each other company in a kind of cyber moot. Wackiness ensues (esp. in the wee hours after extensive sleep deprivation)...

All are welcome, whether you're trying to stay up all night or just dropping by to partake of the fun...whether you're marking the winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere or the summer solstice in the Southern...and no matter what path you may follow, or none at all.

You can see some of the chatter in the run-up to this year's event here.

This year's non-theme (a conversation starter that can be freely ignored) is "hot/cold". Start collecting your thoughts, songs, links, videos, recipes, etc. for sharing, and get ready for "Up All Night"!

Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Hyacinth Belle will become famous soon enough Hyacinth Belle will become famous soon enough Hyacinth Belle's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Mar 2017 @ 06:53 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Taoist Heathen
    Pronouns
    she / her / hers

Re: Cauldron's "Up All Night" Solstice Celebration in About 1 Week

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Holy crap--!! This has totally snuck up on me (like the rest of the holiday season). In case it's snuck up on you, I wanted to remind everybody that Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice, the 2013 edition of what's become The Cauldron's annual solstice celebration, is only about a week away!
    Yay! I've made some nebulous plans... including helping my grandmother decorate her Christmas tree, making cookies, writing, hot chocolate, wrapping gifts, maybe some rune things, etc. I have no idea if I'll make it all night; last time I tried I think I conked out about 3 in the morning (so close!), but I'll be trying my damnedest this year!
    "Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Adept Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage has much to be proud of Sage's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Jul 2015 @ 09:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Social Justice Pagan -- Clann Bhride, Otherfaith, UUism
    Pronouns
    they/them
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth Belle View Post
    Yay! I've made some nebulous plans... including helping my grandmother decorate her Christmas tree, making cookies, writing, hot chocolate, wrapping gifts, maybe some rune things, etc. I have no idea if I'll make it all night; last time I tried I think I conked out about 3 in the morning (so close!), but I'll be trying my damnedest this year!
    That's about where I clonked out last year. Besides pagan things and an attempt at Kemetic style solstice celebration, I wanna get back to writing <3 I'm gonna try my hand at getting a few thousand words done of a fanfic
    I've been mulling over for awhile.
    Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
    I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
    I shall endure.
    What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
    Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
    Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Adept Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Fictional Reconstructionist, imaginary Baltic heathen, Loki-adjacent, small p polytheist and UU
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    That's about where I clonked out last year. Besides pagan things and an attempt at Kemetic style solstice celebration, I wanna get back to writing <3 I'm gonna try my hand at getting a few thousand words done of a fanfic
    I've been mulling over for awhile.
    I'll be there too, hopefully! Writing sounds like a great way to pass the evening hours.
    Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
    "Jack, you are gravely disordered." - Castus
    "[Jack], you are embracing a lie which will ultimately prove destructive to you and those around you and for which there will be consequences." - ehbowen

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger First Class10000 Experience Points
    Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni's Avatar
    Last Online
    28 Apr 2015 @ 04:49 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Bread and booze and books and bees.
    Pronouns
    she/her

I'll be there! I have some crocheting to get done, and if I manage to get through that without any major screw-ups I might try my hand at getting some writing done too. We'll see if I can manage it two years in a row!
    Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
    MistSeeking - religious blog

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Finn is on a distinguished road Finn's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Mar 2017 @ 08:03 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Bealach Bhríde
    Pronouns
    she/her

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    I'll be there! I have some crocheting to get done, and if I manage to get through that without any major screw-ups I might try my hand at getting some writing done too. We'll see if I can manage it two years in a row!
    I'll be there, most likely crocheting too! (And, let's face it, probably watching a bajillion Christmas movies cause that's just who I am)
    Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth Belle View Post
    last time I tried I think I conked out about 3 in the morning (so close!)
    3 AM is a wall for many of us, I suspect; I find the stretch from then until sunrise the most difficult, and the next-to-last hour particularly brutal. (In the final hour, I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it pulls me through.)

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    (And, let's face it, probably watching a bajillion Christmas movies cause that's just who I am)
    That would never, ever work for me! Under normal circumstances, I'm falling asleep in front of the TV by about 10:30 PM. TV viewing is absolutely verboten for me during Up All Night after 10 PM, simply to ensure that I don't clock out.

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Finn is on a distinguished road Finn's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Mar 2017 @ 08:03 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Bealach Bhríde
    Pronouns
    she/her

That would never, ever work for me! Under normal circumstances, I'm falling asleep in front of the TV by about 10:30 PM. TV viewing is absolutely verboten for me during Up All Night after 10 PM, simply to ensure that I don't clock out.
    See, I never fall asleep in front of the TV or at the movies. It's just... something I've never been able to do. Maybe because I crank up the volume.
    Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Staff Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class10000 Experience Points
    Eskiv Champion Aisling is just really nice Aisling is just really nice Aisling is just really nice Aisling is just really nice Aisling's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Nov 2016 @ 06:55 PM
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan Witch

I'll probably be out by then with or without TV, but I'm planning to at least stop by for the first part of the evening.
    Into the Grey Mists (Spiritual Blog)

"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
    But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
    ~Neil Gaiman,
    American Gods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast