collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Stuck with where to look next with Witchcraft  (Read 2842 times)

arkeiryn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Stuck with where to look next with Witchcraft
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:40:53 pm »
So, here's where I am.

I want to practise witchcraft.
I am not a fan of huge formal rituals and/or ceremonies, overly complicated spells, stuff that has to be done just so.
I am not Wiccan, and don't really feel comfortable incorporating deities into witchcraft anyway. (Blame my agnosticism.)
I am interested in hearth-witchery, but am currently living in a student house and am not willing to practise outside of my bedroom on a regular basis, which kind of seems to defeat the point of being a hearth witch. (When I get my own house and my own kitchen then it'll be a different story, but that's a few years away yet.)
I like plants but am the least green-fingered person on the planet, so green-witchery seems like a Bad Idea to try and pursue ;) Plus I have no outside space to speak of, see the student house part :p

Basically, I've got stuck. Everything I find about witchcraft at the moment seems to be either involving hearth and home, which I don't want to look into right now; about herbs and growing things, which I would just fail at completely, I have the magical ability to kill pretty much any plant*; Wicca based, which is just Not Me; or "high magic", too ceremonial etc, which is once again just Not Me.

Advice on search terms etc to help me find what I'm looking for? Web articles that you think might interest me? Book recommendations?

*I could probably under-water a cactus and over-water a pond plant. I'm serious.
"That which yields is not always weak."

"Yes my lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Stuck with where to look next with Witchcraft
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »
Quote from: arkeiryn;11534

Advice on search terms etc to help me find what I'm looking for? Web articles that you think might interest me? Book recommendations?

The two things that leap to mind are Marion Green's _A Witch Alone_ (which is not terribly religious witchcraft in focus), and Diana Paxson's _Trance-Portation_, for meditation, visualisation, and trance skills that would be useful in a variety of later settings.

Other things that might fit your current living situation:
- Exploration, in some depth, of a divination system.

- Getting to know a nearby outdoor location in depth (spending time there every day, for example, in every season).

- Magical oil blending is something that could mostly be done in shared housing (depending on whether any of your housemates have allergies.) You'd need a sink for cleanup, and appropriate supplies (which can be pricy, but you can build materials over time.)

- If your living space is okay with candles, there's a bunch of candle magic approaches that can be done in one's own room pretty easily.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:12 am »

*I could probably under-water a cactus and over-water a pond plant. I'm serious.

I was in the same spot not too long ago! There are so many books and such out there to choose from. I prefer books as opposed to websites, because you can refer to books anytime without having to switch on the computer or anything. Scott Cunningham's encyclopedia books are great references for kitchen and hearth witchery. I have his Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs and his Encyclopedia of Stones and Metals (that's not the proper title, but that's what its about.). They both have extensive lists of herbs and stones, their properties, and some folklore about each. Some of the information wasn't helpful, but overall, it's a great start.
Also, I know you said you weren't a religious one, but Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft is a great read. He covers history, beliefs, rituals, and lots more. I'm solitary and his coven rituals weren't of much use to me, but it helped me build up my knowledge. It also details things like divination, herbology, and tool-making.

Hope this helps! I could probably dig up more, if you'd like!
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Stuck with where to look next with Witchcraft
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:34:10 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;11686
Also, I know you said you weren't a religious one, but Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft is a great read. He covers history....

Very badly, even by comparison with the bad history common in Craft books of the time.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:28:03 am »
I like plants but am the least green-fingered person on the planet, so green-witchery seems like a Bad Idea to try and pursue ;) Plus I have no outside space to speak of, see the student house part [/SIZE]

I'll address this bit, 'cause I'm a plant person:  gardening (indoors or out) is a skill.  Don't expect to have any innate ability just because you have an interest.  I'm reminded of people who compliment my knitting skills.  They say things like "I could never do that," like I woke up one morning knowing how to knit.   :rolleye::

If you're interested in something, learn about it.  Then develop skills around it through practice and hard work.  It's really that easy (and that difficult).

Brina

benvarry

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:48:12 am »

I recommend:

Kissing the Limitless - T. Thorn Coyle
Trance-portation - Diana Paxson
By Land, Sky and Sea - Gede Parma
Awakening to the Spirit World - Sandra Ingerman

They might not be exactly what you're looking for, but a quick look at their Amazon pages should give you some sense of this.  Good luck :)

arkeiryn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:12:33 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;11686
I prefer books as opposed to websites, because you can refer to books anytime without having to switch on the computer or anything.

I prefer books as well ;) it's just I can't afford to buy all the books, the local library isn't that great and I don't want to buy books I then don't end up liking and wasting money.

Quote from: Nuri
Scott Cunningham's encyclopedia books are great references for kitchen and hearth witchery. I have his Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs and his Encyclopedia of Stones and Metals (that's not the proper title, but that's what its about.). They both have extensive lists of herbs and stones, their properties, and some folklore about each. Some of the information wasn't helpful, but overall, it's a great start.

I actually like Cunningham, his Solitary Wicca was the first pagan book I ever bought. It made me realise that I am not Wiccan, nor even that religious when witchcraft is involved, but I really like his writing style. How Wicca-orientated are the rest of his works?

Quote from: yewberry
If you're interested in something, learn about it. Then develop skills around it through practice and hard work. It's really that easy (and that difficult).

I'm not sure I'm interested enough in it to learn about it, though. Then again, I might change my mind when I have a garden that's actually mine. I know that not having a kitchen that is just mine puts me off cooking, and maybe it'd be the same for gardening and growing things.

Quote from: Jenett
- If your living space is okay with candles, there's a bunch of candle magic approaches that can be done in one's own room pretty easily.

Luckily, the smoke alarms in this house are rubbish, and I can burn incense and candles to my heart's content ;) (Although just as I type that, the house-mate manages to set off the one in the kitchen... What are the odds?)

Quote from: Jenett
The two things that leap to mind are Marion Green's _A Witch Alone_ (which is not terribly religious witchcraft in focus), and Diana Paxson's _Trance-Portation_, for meditation, visualisation, and trance skills that would be useful in a variety of later settings.

Quote from: benvarry
I recommend:

Kissing the Limitless - T. Thorn Coyle
Trance-portation - Diana Paxson
By Land, Sky and Sea - Gede Parma
Awakening to the Spirit World - Sandra Ingerman

Thanks for the recs :D
"That which yields is not always weak."

"Yes my lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers"

puppydangerous

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 06:07:54 pm »
I like 'everyday magic' (dorothy morrison)

It's fairly straightforward, some of the chants and whatnot might not really be your style but you can always change them.

Aside from that, pretty much anything about kitchen witchcraft and folk magic for ideas.

Or you can just start memorizing tables of correspondence. Many magic books/spells tell you to do things but don't really explain why in detail. If you know the reasoning behind, say, burning a candle at midday or using a specific herb, then you can alter the process so that it carries the same meaning but works for you.  

So, here's where I am.

I am not a fan of huge formal rituals and/or ceremonies, overly complicated spells, stuff that has to be done just so.
I am not Wiccan, and don't really feel comfortable incorporating deities into witchcraft anyway. (Blame my agnosticism.)
I am interested in hearth-witchery, but am currently living in a student house and am not willing to practise outside of my bedroom on a regular basis, which kind of seems to defeat the point of being a hearth witch. (When I get my own house and my own kitchen then it'll be a different story, but that's a few years away yet.)
I like plants but am the least green-fingered person on the planet, so green-witchery seems like a Bad Idea to try and pursue ;) Plus I have no outside space to speak of, see the student house part :p

Basically, I've got stuck. Everything I find about witchcraft at the moment seems to be either involving hearth and home, which I don't want to look into right now; about herbs and growing things, which I would just fail at completely, I have the magical ability to kill pretty much any plant*; Wicca based, which is just Not Me; or "high magic", too ceremonial etc, which is once again just Not Me.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 02:54:52 am »
Quote from: arkeiryn;12282
I prefer books as well ;) i
I actually like Cunningham, his Solitary Wicca was the first pagan book I ever bought. It made me realise that I am not Wiccan, nor even that religious when witchcraft is involved, but I really like his writing style. How Wicca-orientated are the rest of his works?

As Nuri said, I would check out his Encyclopaedia books. Nothing real path specific, or deity oriented, but just as the titles suggest.
Semper Fidelis

AmberHeart

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 09:26:15 am »
So, here's where I am.

As a Witch with a 'black thumb' for decades and who now has both a thriving balcony and office-desk garden, I became a 'green-thumb' Witch with the following simple rule.

Water once a week (Fridays for me) and just enough to moisten the top layer of soil in a pot. Unless it is very hot (yes, that does happen in Canada, bizarre though it is...) in which case outside I soak the soil on Fridays and I water on Wednesdays as well inside. Start with one on a window sill and see how it goes.

The only other suggestion I can make (as everyone has covered off whatever else I would have said) is that gaining self-knowledge can also be considered a discipline of The Craft. Awareness, daily observation, working on self-control, understanding your unique ethics and morals, continually reading and studying wherever it takes you, looking beyond the immediate into your day/night dreams, intuitions (divination tools are useful to translate these), past life work (if you believe in such) etc. All of which can be done while living your every day life in a student dorm. Apart from a journal of some kind (and the possibilities of what might look or be like are entirely up to you) or the use of a divination tool or tools along the way, not much is needed by way of props. The more practice such a discipline, the more it becomes part of your Craft. Everything you learn along the way will be invaluable when you are able to practice more freely later on.

Amber

Tags: