collapse

Author Topic: UK Riots Spreading  (Read 3880 times)

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
UK Riots Spreading
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:38:59 pm »
Hey guys,

I know the riots are all over London now, as well as Leeds and Birmingham.  I've been hearing a lot of rumours that Essex is going up as well.  Romford, apparently  Ilford and Rainham Village as well?  I can't get clear info about it though.  I'm from there and have family in the area - anyone know more and can let me know how safe people are?

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
UK Riots Spreading
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:02:10 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;11511
Hey guys,

I know the riots are all over London now, as well as Leeds and Birmingham.  I've been hearing a lot of rumours that Essex is going up as well.  Romford, apparently  Ilford and Rainham Village as well?  I can't get clear info about it though.  I'm from there and have family in the area - anyone know more and can let me know how safe people are?

I can't find any official source that mentions Essex. I just checked with my parents who live near Chelmsford and they haven't heard of any trouble in the area. Hopefully that means it's just rumours.

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: UK Riots Spreading
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:58:08 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;11519
I can't find any official source that mentions Essex. I just checked with my parents who live near Chelmsford and they haven't heard of any trouble in the area. Hopefully that means it's just rumours.

That's a relief.  I hope you're right, although if it is rumours I'm gonna kill the arsehole who told me; he's local to Romford so he should know if it's not true.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:06:47 pm »
Hey guys,

I hope things calm down in the UK soon. Unfortunately, from what I'm seeing from news reports it seems to be getting worse, not better.

To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't had riots in the US yet with the extremely high unemployment we have and the Republican desire to cut social programs to nothing while telling people they just need to get used to the very high unemployment (with no social safety net). Especially given the long hot summer we are having.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:01:11 pm »
Hey guys,

OK, I know the UK has cut it's MoD spending, but can't they find enough rope in England?

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
Quote from: sailor;11557
OK, I know the UK has cut it's MoD spending, but can't they find enough rope in England?

Huh?

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:18:37 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;11563
Huh?

To hang the rioters in situ.

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:18 am »
Quote from: sailor;11597
To hang the rioters in situ.

Oh.

No.  We don't do that, here.

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:32:16 am »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;11672
Oh.

No.  We don't do that, here.

I heard the riots were sparked by the cops murdering a young father of 4, but Clegg is denying they're related.  Is he right, or is as full of shit as I suspect?
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:26 am »
Quote from: Pyperlie;11692
I heard the riots were sparked by the cops murdering a young father of 4, but Clegg is denying they're related.  Is he right, or is as full of shit as I suspect?

Full of crap. The man who was shot is, as it turns out, a major drug dealer who was on his way to shoot someone in retaliation for someone in his gang being shot previously. He shot at police so they fired back. The people who are rioting just used him as a convenient excuse. His family condemn all this and have repeatedly asked for people to stop all the violence.
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:13:56 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;11543

To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't had riots in the US yet with the extremely high unemployment we have and the Republican desire to cut social programs to nothing while telling people they just need to get used to the very high unemployment (with no social safety net). Especially given the long hot summer we are having.

My coworkers and I were just talking about that.  I suspect it's been as calm as it has here partly because we have a more diffuse population, partly because a lot of unemployed people blame themselves, but mostly because we've had a safety net thus far.  99 weeks of unemployment, plus 1 in 7 getting food stamps, has probably been what's kept a lid on things.

But I heard that part of the debt ceiling deal is that they're cutting unemployment back to whatever it originally was, and that they're cutting food stamps and turning into block grants to the state.  I don't remember where I heard it, so I'm not sure if it's true, but if it is, things may not stay peaceful here.  Hungry people are angry people, and hungry, angry people tend to become riotous.
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »
Quote from: Pyperlie;11703
Hungry people are angry people, and hungry, angry people tend to become riotous.

Can you point to a riot in the US that was started for that reason?

comW

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
UK Riots Spreading
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:47:50 pm »
Quote from: sailor;11704

Nope. I don't know us history that well.

On the other hand it is the reason for the most famous declaration of cake giving ever.

Apology for the whimsy. My social life for the next 2 weeks just got cancelled. Between riots this week and hospitals next.
Steve - ComW

try and find me in the MUX. It does happen

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 01:20:38 pm »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;11696
Full of crap. The man who was shot is, as it turns out, a major drug dealer who was on his way to shoot someone in retaliation for someone in his gang being shot previously. He shot at police so they fired back. The people who are rioting just used him as a convenient excuse. His family condemn all this and have repeatedly asked for people to stop all the violence.

The IPCC investigation is still going on though, and so far they can't say for certain whether he fired at the police or not.

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 01:46:36 pm »
Quote from: sailor;11704

Other than the Southern Bread Riots in 1863 and the Boston Bread Riots in the early 18th century (which you may not feel count since they were not in the US at the time), there's the Four Riot of the early 19th century, and of course some Great Depression food riots.  I can't think of any in recent history, but we haven't had large numbers starving in the streets in recent history, either.

I was primarily thinking of food riots around the world.  And the fact that, in a lot of poor countries that've had food riots, food scarcity is endemic.  They're used to going hungry, and can still only take it for so long.  Most Americans today are totally unaccustomed to hunger, and I can't imagine we as a group would take it very well.

Now, I could certainly be wrong, but seeing how many governments have been toppled over the centuries due to widespread hunger (I'll take "Let them eat cake" for a thousand, Alex), it seems foolish to think it can't or won't happen here, given enough people who are hungry enough, long enough.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:48:30 pm by Pyperlie »

Tags: