"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Hobbies: Crafts for the holidays  (Read 6545 times)

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Crafts for the holidays
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:36:10 pm »
I'm busy knitting and spinning for holiday gifts this year.  I'll probably do a little baking as well, as I'm planning to have people over for the Solstice (so excited about a Solstice party...people always seem so busy this time of year and can never make it).  Oh, and we're tapping our maples soon after after a really early cold snap, meaning we might actually have some syrup to give as gifts for the husband's family at Christmas.  Unprecedented.

So what do you have going this year in preparation for winter holidays?

Brina
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:03:17 pm by RandallS »

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Crafts for the holidays
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:19:08 am »
Quote from: yewberry;131846
I'm busy knitting and spinning for holiday gifts this year.  I'll probably do a little baking as well, as I'm planning to have people over for the Solstice (so excited about a Solstice party...people always seem so busy this time of year and can never make it).  Oh, and we're tapping our maples soon after after a really early cold snap, meaning we might actually have some syrup to give as gifts for the husband's family at Christmas.  Unprecedented.

Brina

I'm making winter spice scented beeswax candles for gifts as well as jewellery. I'm also making a rosary and drawstring bag to keep it in for my SIL. I'm knitting a hat and mittens for Rowan and a scarf for Charis (my older daughter). When I get all that finished I'll be starting to crochet a brat for the Cill exchange.

If I have time I might fit in some baking to take over to my in laws on Christmas Day. Busy busy!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Crafts for the holidays
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:49:38 am »
I'm busy knitting and spinning for holiday gifts this year.  I'll probably do a little baking as well, as I'm planning to have people over for the Solstice (so excited about a Solstice party...people always seem so busy this time of year and can never make it).  Oh, and we're tapping our maples soon after after a really early cold snap, meaning we might actually have some syrup to give as gifts for the husband's family at Christmas.  Unprecedented.

Brina

I have been crocheting bags for my friends, which has been adventure, as I haven't crocheted in years so had to reteach myself...lots of undoing!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:41:00 pm »

Brina

This is my first winter in my own place, and thus, with my own tree, so I'm crocheting a tree skirt.

I've also made a couple of handmade gifts and knick-knacks, plus I want to bake cookies but I need to figure out when I have time. Only 2 weekends left!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »

Brina

In between baby quilts, I'm making a close friend a quilt for Christmas. Because A. he gets so busy giving to others that he doesn't do for himself, B. I couldn't afford to buy anything nearly as nice as I can make, and C. it's got symbolism that refers to "I've struggled with what you're struggling with and I've got your back." I'd intended it for his birthday, but since I'm half finished and his birthday is Thursday, that's not happening. Pic here if anyone's interested. (Someday I'll manage a picture of it that doesn't have my cat's butt in it.)
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:05:22 am »

Brina

I'm painting ceramic ornaments with my nephews

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 01:11:44 am »

I've got lembas cooling for my Hobbit double-feature evening on Thursday (... yes, that is totally part of my winter holidays). I'll be baking a mess of chai and chocolate snickerdoodles for my human clients, and also crocheting a baby blanket on commission, though that isn't due until mid-January after the baby arrives.

I just finished a pair of slipper socks for my best friend's mom for Christmas, and... gosh, I dunno what else I'll be doing. Does spiking the eggnog and zonking out in front of MST3K count as crafting? Cause that's what I'll really want to do from solstice on. :p
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 01:33:25 pm »
I'm busy

Brina

Anyone thinking of starting crafts next month for the holiday season of December? I was looking through my crafts supplies thinking about this.:)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;154006
Anyone thinking of starting crafts next month for the holiday season of December? I was looking through my crafts supplies thinking about this.:)

I was thinking about this the other night, nothing specific yet, just as I was falling asleep I thought I better start figuring out what I plan on doing, because the past couple of years I ended up cram-crafting the week before passing out gifts just to finish (and boy did my hands not like me after embroidering or crocheting for 5-8 hours a day!)

I think I will try to wander around the craft store sometime this week and see if I can get inspired.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 12:43:35 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;154006

I was thinking about this over the weekend, and I need to figure out what (if anything) I'll be making for gifts this year.

Also need to figure out some scavenger hunt items for this year's Knitting Retreat!  Whee!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 02:00:01 am »

Brina

This year in the few days just before Xmas I handsewed pillowcases 3 in total. I finished a UFO makeup bag Xmas fabric, half finished a Xmas/holidays shopping bag thinking of still adding side panels so it fits more shopping inside it. :)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 12:01:41 pm »

Brina

I painted, decoupaged and did found word poetry on journals for my friends this year.  I happened upon some chalkboard paint too, so I used that on the inside of the cover (I started with composition books, so the inside of the cover used to be covered with a class schedule).

I also made some 'wish in a bottle' charms, with dandelion fluff that I harvested this year.  Added some charms, and put a ring so they can be used as ornaments, hung from the wall or worn as a necklace.

Hubby saw a kit of ninja-gingerbread men, so we made those and decorated them..that was fun!

And now I'm taking part in a virtual retreat with a heavy art component, so I have been painting and sketching a lot....lots of creation this year!

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 10:15:23 am »
Quote from: Kylara;184079
I painted, decoupaged and did found word poetry on journals for my friends this year.  I happened upon some chalkboard paint too, so I used that on the inside of the cover (I started with composition books, so the inside of the cover used to be covered with a class schedule).

I also made some 'wish in a bottle' charms, with dandelion fluff that I harvested this year.  Added some charms, and put a ring so they can be used as ornaments, hung from the wall or worn as a necklace.

Hubby saw a kit of ninja-gingerbread men, so we made those and decorated them..that was fun!

And now I'm taking part in a virtual retreat with a heavy art component, so I have been painting and sketching a lot....lots of creation this year!

I painted and decorated a canvas with the words Yule on it to celebrate Yule and Christmas in my home. I also created a recipe for what I am calling a Yule cake as I was aiming for something with Yule flavors and couldn't find anything I like so I made up my own bundt cake with rosemary, orange, and honey. Turned out great though needs some tweaking for next year. I think next year I may create a cranberry creamed cheese frosting to go with it with candied cranberries to top.

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 01:55:41 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;184069
This year in the few days just before Xmas I handsewed pillowcases 3 in total. I finished a UFO makeup bag Xmas fabric, half finished a Xmas/holidays shopping bag thinking of still adding side panels so it fits more shopping inside it. :)

All the holiday/Xmas fabric is folded stacked in the back of the cupboard. WIP/UFO in those fabrics are also put away with thought of returning to them later on.Still have to sorts the holidays/xmas crafts supplies in a box to put away also. Did anyone also do this?

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 09:38:03 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;184911
All the holiday/Xmas fabric is folded stacked in the back of the cupboard. WIP/UFO in those fabrics are also put away with thought of returning to them later on.Still have to sorts the holidays/xmas crafts supplies in a box to put away also. Did anyone also do this?

Getting an early start on winter holidays crafts. Making some round gift  tags of watercolor paper, edge is with relief gold paint, some watercolor and some ecoline painting, dark green organza ribbon. Also handsewing some mini pillows 10 x 10 cm in Xmas fabric leftovers. :)

Tags: