Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: Losing a Foster Dog  (Read 7330 times)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Losing a Foster Dog
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 10:23:05 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;131343
I think that you made the right decision for her. I know you both and you wouldn't have done it for any selfish reason. You always put your furbabies first and you always have. Please don't beat yourselves up with ifs and maybes. They do no one any good.

I have to second this.

Randall, I don't believe for one minute that the two of you would ever do anything that wasn't in the best interest of the animals you foster. Many of these furbabies you've taken in wouldn't have had any hope at all if weren't for the two of you. Don't be so hard on yourselves. You're good people. You did the right thing.

(((Randall & LyricFox)))

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:08:43 pm »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;131343
I think that you made the right decision for her. I know you both and you wouldn't have done it for any selfish reason. You always put your furbabies first and you always have. Please don't beat yourselves up with ifs and maybes. They do no one any good.

Thirded. I've talked to many, many owners before euthanasia, and in my experience, those who honestly ask themselves these questions are making a right decision. Just that you're asking shows you had Aggie's best interests in mind.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 01:19:52 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;131340
Part of the problem with Aggie is that we really did not have much of a relationship with her. She did not really interact with us much -- except when she wanted us to feed her. She lived in her own little world and we were just part of the furniture. This wasn't because of her hearing loss (as we have friends with completely deaf dogs who are more normal than she was) but because of her mental impairments. At times it felt like we were just "warehousing her" (although she had the run of the house just like our other dogs, but she really did not interact with us or them). Given we couldn't have a normal dog-person relationship with her, deciding to put her to sleep was very hard because we were questioning whether we were making the decision for her or for us. :(

I think you did the right the thing too, Randall.  You and Lyric are in my thoughts and prayers.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 03:18:00 pm »
Given we couldn't have a normal dog-person relationship with her, deciding to put her to sleep was very hard because we were questioning whether we were making the decision for her or for us.

No matter how carefully we weigh the options, it's always hard to know when the time is right.  I could have let our old cat Bella live a little longer, but I decided to let her go while she still had some quality of life (though it was fading fast, along with her kidneys).  I still feel pangs about it, but in my heart I know I did the right thing...especially having seen other people wait too long with their own pets and the guilt that inspires.

Brina

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 06:27:30 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;131345
Randall, I don't believe for one minute that the two of you would ever do anything that wasn't in the best interest of the animals you foster. Many of these furbabies you've taken in wouldn't have had any hope at all if weren't for the two of you. Don't be so hard on yourselves.

Given how her quality of life had dropped over the last few months in spite of all the meds (and the fact that the ATDR officers agreed with our decision, I know we shouldn't blame ourselves -- and we really don't. However, that doesn't chance the fact that this was very hard to do. And sadly, Lyric and I have lost a lot of dogs to old age in our lives, but this decision was the hardest on us.

However, it is behind us now and we have our two dogs (and three fosters) and our two cats to keep us busy.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Losing a Foster Dog
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 08:43:39 am »
Quote from: RandallS;131280
It wasn't easy, but Aggie has passed over. Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts.

Welcome to Rainbow Bridge Aggie. Have fun now girl, you deserve it.

Sending comforting thoughts,  I'm sorry for your loss.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 10:57:58 am »
Quote from: RandallS;131384
Given how her quality of life had dropped over the last few months in spite of all the meds (and the fact that the ATDR officers agreed with our decision, I know we shouldn't blame ourselves -- and we really don't. However, that doesn't chance the fact that this was very hard to do. And sadly, Lyric and I have lost a lot of dogs to old age in our lives, but this decision was the hardest on us.

Yeah, I've been there. Even when you know, in your head, you've done everything you could, it still hurts your heart that you couldn't do more. It's a very difficult decision to make, and I'm very sorry that you had to make it.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Losing a Foster Dog
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 10:21:21 pm »
...Given we couldn't have a normal dog-person relationship with her, deciding to put her to sleep was very hard because we were questioning whether we were making the decision for her or for us. :(

Just seeing this.

Randall, you and Lyric are two of the biggest hearted people I've ever known and you absolutely did the right thing even though it hurts like hell.

A thousand of kibble,
A thousand of balls,
A thousand of every good thing.
May she ascend, and may you be comforted.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 02:46:09 am »
Quote from: RandallS;131243
Good thoughts and prayers for Aggie (and us) are welcome.

Just seeing this now.  (((Randall and Lyric)))

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 07:52:16 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;131614
Just seeing this now.  (((Randall and Lyric)))

Thanks, Sunflower. We aren't feeling guilty quite as often now -- mainly just around dinnertime.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: