Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Food: Recipe of the Week  (Read 11170 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Recipe of the Week
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:08:02 pm »
So, a while ago I looked at my huge folder of recipe clippings/scans and decided I should maybe actually cook some of them :p So I put the names of each recipe in a jar, and now I draw one each week to try out. I thought I'd share my results here.

This week: Onion Ravioli

2 large onions
1 clove garlic
4 tbsp olive oil
pinch of mace
salt and pepper              ... cook over medium heat until golden brown
12 fresh lasagne noodles  ... fold into packets around filling, simmer 3-4 minutes, drain
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1-2 tbsp shredded sorrel  ... combine with leftover filling, toss with ravioli

First of all, I used lasagne like the recipe said, but the pouches just would not stay closed. I hear wonton wrappers work better for making your own ravioli. So in the end I just cooked the noodles briefly and put the filling on top. I also couldn't find any mace or sorrel, so I subbed nutmeg and arugula, respectively.

The result was very tasty; I'm a huge onion fan. Although, as a main dish, it was maybe a bit too much onion. This filling, without the noodles, would work well as a side dish or relish with a meat or bean main dish, or as a topping on crostini. I might also add a bit of white wine while cooking the onions to give a bit more flavor. 3/5.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:49:02 pm by RandallS »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe of the Week
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:29:35 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;131205
So, a while ago I looked at my huge folder of recipe clippings/scans and decided I should maybe actually cook some of them :p So I put the names of each recipe in a jar, and now I draw one each week to try out. I thought I'd share my results here.

This week: Onion Ravioli

2 large onions
1 clove garlic
4 tbsp olive oil
pinch of mace
salt and pepper              ... cook over medium heat until golden brown
12 fresh lasagne noodles  ... fold into packets around filling, simmer 3-4 minutes, drain
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1-2 tbsp shredded sorrel  ... combine with leftover filling, toss with ravioli

First of all, I used lasagne like the recipe said, but the pouches just would not stay closed. I hear wonton wrappers work better for making your own ravioli. So in the end I just cooked the noodles briefly and put the filling on top. I also couldn't find any mace or sorrel, so I subbed nutmeg and arugula, respectively.

The result was very tasty; I'm a huge onion fan. Although, as a main dish, it was maybe a bit too much onion. This filling, without the noodles, would work well as a side dish or relish with a meat or bean main dish, or as a topping on crostini. I might also add a bit of white wine while cooking the onions to give a bit more flavor. 3/5.

Sounds good!

Baketamun

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravelry.com/people/Rascalicious
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »
So, a while ago I looked at my huge folder of recipe clippings/scans and decided I should maybe actually cook some of them :p So I put the names of each recipe in a jar, and now I draw one each week to try out.

This is a great idea. I have a huge collection of clipped/copied recipes and I so need to try your method. :)

The recipe sounds good. (I might try it as a sauce, since I don't think gluten-free pasta would hold up to making the bundles.) Thanks for sharing it.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:35:12 pm »
Quote from: Baketamun;131441
This is a great idea. I have a huge collection of clipped/copied recipes and I so need to try your method. :)

It's a lot of fun, too, never knowing what you'll draw next, only that it's something you thought sounded tasty.

This week: Tamarind Beef

1 lb stewing beef, cut in strips
2 cups water      .... in wok or pan, boil until almost dry
3 tbsp oil
1 oz ginger, mashed
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
salt & pepper     .... add to pan, stir fry until almost dry.

This is pretty simple, but came out quite tasty. I usually don't buy an unusual ingredient like tamarind for just one recipe, but I had a jar left over from something else, and the stuff seems to keep pretty well. It has a fruity-sour flavor, kind of like lemon juice. It's also pretty thick, so I added some extra water to the pan to keep it from scorching and coat evenly.

I didn't use stewing beef, but some cheap steaks I found in the discount bin that look like they were mechanically tenderized. So I still boiled the heck out of them. I ate it with rice and "asian mix" frozen veggies which were mostly green beans. 4/5.
salt & pepper
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Baketamun

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravelry.com/people/Rascalicious
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 02:44:58 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;131962
It's a lot of fun, too, never knowing what you'll draw next, only that it's something you thought sounded tasty.

This week: Tamarind Beef

1 lb stewing beef, cut in strips
2 cups water      .... in wok or pan, boil until almost dry
3 tbsp oil
1 oz ginger, mashed
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
salt & pepper     .... add to pan, stir fry until almost dry.

This is pretty simple, but came out quite tasty. I usually don't buy an unusual ingredient like tamarind for just one recipe, but I had a jar left over from something else, and the stuff seems to keep pretty well. It has a fruity-sour flavor, kind of like lemon juice. It's also pretty thick, so I added some extra water to the pan to keep it from scorching and coat evenly.

I didn't use stewing beef, but some cheap steaks I found in the discount bin that look like they were mechanically tenderized. So I still boiled the heck out of them. I ate it with rice and "asian mix" frozen veggies which were mostly green beans. 4/5.
salt & pepper

Definitely making this one. I love tamarind, and I love how easy this sounds to prepare.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 02:37:47 pm »
I put the names of each recipe in a jar, and now I draw one each week to try out.

This week: Ham and Asparagus Egg Casserole

2 1/2 cups bread, in small pieces
4 oz asparagus, cut in short lengths
4 oz ham, cubed
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 onion, chopped     ... combine in greased baking dish
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk         ... stir together, then pour over bread mixture. Chill 2-24 hours.
                  ... Bake uncovered at 325 F for 30 min
1 egg           ... crack onto the top of the casserole, bake an additional 20 min until egg is set.

This was an OK recipe; I like bread-pudding type casseroles both to make and to eat, but I don't know about the egg on top. Mine came out with the yolk overdone on top and still runny underneath. That might just be my oven though. The recipe as posted here is cut down by half; the original called for 4 eggs in the casserole and 6 for topping. Way too big for me. I used greek-style pitas for the bread because I always have some in the freezer, they have so many uses. Also I used canned asparagus because decent fresh asparagus is not to be found at this time of year. The flavor combination was excellent. 4/5.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:04:59 pm »
So I put the names of each recipe in a jar, and now I draw one each week to try out.

Two this week, due to more cooking time over the holidays:

Lebanese Onion and Couscous Soup

4 onions, sliced
3 tbsp oil  ... in a large pot, cook over medium heat until browned.
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp sambal oelek
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper   ... add to onions, cook 1-2 minutes.
8 cups chicken broth ... add to pot, simmer 30 minutes.
1/2 cup couscous ... add to pot, simmer 10 more minutes.

This is a nice flavorful soup, warming but not too heavy -- with the weather we've been having around here, I could have used something even heartier! This is good in any season though. A warning, though, to those who don't know: Turmeric is the original King in Yellow and its staining powers will drive you insane. My plastic measuring spoons will never be the same. 4/5.

Sesame cookies

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar  ... blend together
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla ... add to mixture
1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted ... add 2 tbsp to mixture, reserve the rest
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt ... mix together, then combine with butter mixture
... roll balls of dough in sesame seeds to coat
... bake at 400F/200C for 7-9 min.

These got rave reviews at the New Years party. Sesame seeds are not a typical flavor to find in cookies, and I love the taste. I have no idea why the recipe doesn't just say 1 tsp of baking powder. 5/5.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:37:25 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;134861
Sesame seeds are not a typical flavor to find in cookies, and I love the taste.

Sesame cookies are traditional Italian Christmas cookies! Here is our family recipe, which is similar but not exactly the same as yours (and we do use baking powder). These were my favorite when I was a kid.

Sesame Sticks (350°)

Makes a lot, but they go quickly.

• 4 cups flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 8 oz sesame seeds
  • milk

• Cream butter. Beat in vanilla and sugar; continue beating until fluffy.
  • Add eggs one at a time.
  • Gradually mix in dry ingredients until just smooth. Chill 20 minutes.
  • Roll dough into ½” wide rope. Cut at an angle into 2” lengths.
  • Coat pieces with milk, then roll in sesame seeds.
  • Bake on ungreased sheet at 350° for 20-22 minutes.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:03 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;134867
Sesame cookies are traditional Italian Christmas cookies! Here is our family recipe, which is similar but not exactly the same as yours (and we do use baking powder). These were my favorite when I was a kid.

I didn't know that! Cool - though a batch that big would never fit in my dinky oven :ashamed:

This week: Pasta with Poppy Seeds

200g noodles ... boil and drain
5 tbsp butter
50 g sliced almonds
1 1/3 cups poppy seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla  ... combine and cook over low heat 2-3 minutes
3/4 cup sweet cheese ... top noodles with cheese and poppy seed mixture

I got this recipe from a book on Eastern European cooking, and thought it was an interesting and new way to serve pasta. (I'm fascinated with Eastern European food in general, and I wish there were more cookbooks about it.) My gods, is this stuff filling. I made half the amount of noodles and a quarter of the topping, and still only managed to eat half of that! The poppy seeds give it a grainy texture which was odd, but I kind of liked it. I used sweetened plain yogurt instead of the cheese; I was going to use ricotta but it was sold out. 3.5/5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 03:22:51 pm »
now I draw one each week to try out.

This week: Cream of Belgian Endive Soup

4 heads Belgian Endive, shredded
2 tbsp butter  
1/4 tsp salt
pepper   ... cook over medium heat until endive is soft, 5-7 minutes.
1 tbsp flour ... stir in, cook 1-2 minutes
3/4 cup milk ... stir in, simmer 5 minutes
1/2 cup stock ... stir in, simmer 5 more minutes
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp sour cream  ... stir in, puree, return to simmer, serve.

This did not turn out well. I've had endive a couple of times before and liked it, but this ... I can't put my finger on what exactly went wrong. Maybe the endive wasn't cooked long enough to get rid of all the bitter. Maybe I shouldn't have substituted ricotta for the sour cream (it had good mouth feel though). Or maybe sour + bitter just isn't a good combination for this recipe. That combination just made my monkey-brain go "this food is bad and you will feel bad." Endive might work better with umami flavors - some soy sauce and parmesan, maybe, instead of lemon and sour cream. 1/5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Recipe of the Week
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 10:13:50 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;136975
... Endive might work better with umami flavors - some soy sauce and parmesan, maybe, instead of lemon and sour cream. 1/5

I like endive with cream cheese and herbs spread on it as a cold finger food.  NOM.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 04:16:41 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;137008
I like endive with cream cheese and herbs spread on it as a cold finger food.  NOM.

STAMPPOT WITH RAW ENDIVE! Seriously. We add bacon bits, but I've seen vegetarian variations with cheese or nuts instead.

--Chabas (who will convert the WORLD to stamppot eventually)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 07:01:15 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;137008

So would you say you wolf your veggies? :D:

Quote from: Chabas;137014
STAMPPOT WITH RAW ENDIVE!

What's Stamppot? Have you got a recipe?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Recipe of the Week
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 07:20:59 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;137061
So would you say you wolf your veggies? :D:

I do!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:32 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;137061
What's Stamppot? Have you got a recipe?

It's traditional Dutch winter food. It's essentially mashed potatoes with veggies and meat. Meat is traditionally bacon and smoked sausage; veggies can be a lot of things - curly kale, sauerkraut, raw endive, raw chicory and apple, apple and white beans, and carrot are the traditional ones that come to mind.

Essential recipe: put peeled potatoes in pot, cover in water with a bit of salt. Add veggies and sausage. Cook until potatoes are done. Take out sausage, drain potatoes and veggies and mash them together with milk and butter. Add salt and pepper to taste and crisply fried bacon bits. Sausage you can either serve on the side or cut up in small pieces and mix in with the whole thing. For more specific recipes in English, I've found that google is usually helpful.

For the variations with raw veggies, we usually make the mash with "slasaus" rather than milk and butter - don't think you can get it abroad, but you can imitate it by thinning some mayonnaise with the liquid from pickled gherkins.

Responses from people who first eat this have ranged from "This is awesome" to "...we wouldn't even serve this in prisons!"

--Chabas

Tags: