"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Insomnia  (Read 28430 times)

Lula

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Insomnia
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 02:01:22 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;137954
I do the counting thing with a twist - I refuse to go above five, (sometimes on bad nights ten) and I won't pay attention to how many iterations I've done it.

So there's no pressure, no OMG I'm at 50 when will I go to sleep, nothing.  Just counting up to five for a while .. then to four .. and so on until I'm just doing one .. one .. one ... one .. it's sorta-meditative and no pressure.

That's great. I've found myself having to change up my routine at night sometimes, and maybe I'll try this. I tend to not care too much about going up in numbers, but geez, I never know when weird thoughts will sneak in, and changing things a little helps me relax and focus my attention.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Insomnia
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 06:05:56 pm »
I do the counting thing with a twist - I refuse to go above five, (sometimes on bad nights ten) and I won't pay attention to how many iterations I've done it.

So there's no pressure, no OMG I'm at 50 when will I go to sleep, nothing.  Just counting up to five for a while .. then to four .. and so on until I'm just doing one .. one .. one ... one .. it's sorta-meditative and no pressure.

I do something similar - i imagine myself walking down a staircase with ten steps, very slowly, counting down from ten. With every step down I try and relax more deeply. I'm often asleep after a few repetitions of the staircase, but if not, I just keep starting again from the top. Works a lot of the time, for me.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 06:16:57 am »
Quote from: Olivia;130597
I have been having a serious case of insomnia lately. I can't remember the last time I had a full nights sleep. It has been a few weeks at least. I've tried everything I can think of. I spritzed some lavender on my bed, I tried chamomile. I even counted sheep one night. Anyone suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciate.

I use valerian tincture, bought it online at a german pharmacy. You can drink a few drops mixed into a glass of water. One night I had forgotten my glass of water and not wanting to get up for water. I just drizzled some valerian tincture on both wrists and it helped, fell asleep since then I use it like that. I sleep with my wrists near my face so inhale it a bit.:)

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 05:50:25 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;142520
I use valerian tincture, bought it online at a german pharmacy. You can drink a few drops mixed into a glass of water. One night I had forgotten my glass of water and not wanting to get up for water. I just drizzled some valerian tincture on both wrists and it helped, fell asleep since then I use it like that. I sleep with my wrists near my face so inhale it a bit.:)

Valerian is awesome like that! I use it when I am having panic attacks, but it definitely can help with sleep, too. I am finding that St. Johns Wort is also helping my sleep.

I get bouts of insomnia, and I am also somniphobic, and a light sleeper. So sleep is a real challenge for me. I spent several years on an average of 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

I am now able to get 6-8 hours on average, between the supplements I just mentioned, and taking Benadryl at night. I was taking Zzzquil, but its active ingredient is the same as Benadryl, so I get the offbrand of it on Amazon for cheap. It is better than the prescription meds I was on for a while, and works better than Unisom and Melatonin for me. (Although my partner likes Melatonin to help him stay asleep).

Having wind-down time is also important for me. Some foods can also help me sleep, like warm bread. If I am stressed, I try to think of things that make me happy, like fish. That sometimes helps, too.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 04:13:56 pm »
Quote from: Olivia;130597
I have been having a serious case of insomnia lately. I can't remember the last time I had a full nights sleep. It has been a few weeks at least. I've tried everything I can think of.

I did a search for 'insomnia' and came across this thread - the above is me right now!

Quote from: Jenett;130609
are you having trouble getting to sleep, or staying asleep?

In my case it's a mixture of both.

Quote from: Jenett;130649
for people who use tech in the eveing, I highly recommend an app called f.lux (http://justgetflux.com) which shifts the color profile on your monitor once it gets dark from the brighter/cooler shades of daylight to warmer shades that help trigger sleep.

I might have to give this app a try, if it's still around and works with a PC with Windows 10.  This, and some of the electronics mentioned (oh, and crosswords), are about the only things I haven't tried to date!

Quote from: Valentine;130646
there's a device that runs electric current between yours ears to calm your brain down, there are apps you can get for a smartphone or tablet that use sound pitches to induces the relevant brainwaves with seem effective

Quote from: Lula;137572
I also occasionally take melatonin to help fall asleep

Melatonin is one of the only other things I haven't tried yet, I was thinking about this recently - I may see if this can be obtained here in the UK.

I do the counting thing with a twist - I refuse to go above five

I've not tried counting this way, yet - I may give it a try.  There is a relaxation podcast I've listened to which uses the word one kind of in place of 'om', so this may work where other ways haven't...

Quote from: Nerys53;142520
I just drizzled some valerian tincture on both wrists and it helped

This is something else I've not tried yet, so I may give it a go soon.

Quote from: Leirion;142566
I spent several years on an average of 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

This is what I'm getting at present, I hope I don't go several years like it!  I found myself wondering the other day, after about 3 1/2 weeks, whether it was possible to die from insomnia!  I've always had insomnia, but it usually troubles me for about a fortnight then sorts itself out for about a fortnight (which is how I usually survive, I'm like a zombie by the end of the insomnia fortnight but am able to recover during the following fortnight enough to survive the next insomnia fortnight...).  3 1/2 weeks and my state is pretty bad, I've not been able to achieve anything at work for about a week and a half.

Right, I'm going online for melatonin and valerian tincture.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions, since this thread was last active?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 09:07:39 am »
Quote from: Pickle;194617
I did a search for 'insomnia' and came across this thread - the above is me

Right, I'm going online for melatonin and valerian tincture.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions, since this thread was last active?

I see you are in UK, at ASOS I got the sleep balm Lavender/Lemon from Anatomicals it comes in a small tin, that works for sleep and relaxation. Recently I also bought some new to me Stamford incense sticks Sensuality (ylang ylang, nutmeg and patchouli) makes me fall asleep as does Happiness by Lisa Parker I got those at http://www.Pagandreams.co.uk
Fresh warm bedlinnen on chilly days. Or a hotwater bottle at the foot end.
Warm milk with just a hint of freshly grated nutmeg.:)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 02:43:04 pm »
I have been having a serious case of insomnia lately. I can't remember the last time I had a full nights sleep. It has been a few weeks at least. I've tried everything I can think of. I spritzed some lavender on my bed, I tried chamomile. I even counted sheep one night. Anyone suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciate.

Giving this thread a signal boost for those who are finding sleep difficult in these unusual times.

I had issues with waking up multiple times each night and trouble going back to sleep. One thing that helped was resetting my sleep patterns through sleep restriction.  It's not the easiest thing to do - you begin by limiting your time in bed to the actual time you've been sleeping each night and gradually increase the time spent in bed over a few weeks. You have to be really disciplined to do it - it requires getting up and out of bed at the same time every day and doesn't allow for sleeping in, snooze alarms, daytime naps, or reading in bed (that was the hardest part for me).   Best done during a time period where you don't need to be at your sharpest focus because you will feel a bit sleep deprived at the beginning. 

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 12:54:14 pm »
Giving this thread a signal boost for those who are finding sleep difficult in these unusual times.

I had issues with waking up multiple times each night and trouble going back to sleep. One thing that helped was resetting my sleep patterns through sleep restriction.  It's not the easiest thing to do - you begin by limiting your time in bed to the actual time you've been sleeping each night and gradually increase the time spent in bed over a few weeks. You have to be really disciplined to do it - it requires getting up and out of bed at the same time every day and doesn't allow for sleeping in, snooze alarms, daytime naps, or reading in bed (that was the hardest part for me).   Best done during a time period where you don't need to be at your sharpest focus because you will feel a bit sleep deprived at the beginning.

I'm a highly overactive thinker, so getting my brain to 'shut down' enough for sleep is a struggle for me (compared to hubby who describes his process as "I just clear out my head, then I sleep"...and he's normally out within minutes of getting to bed *sigh).  I also have restless leg issues, need to get up quite a few times throughout the night to use the restroom (which normally means a few minutes of letting my heart rate return to normal once I lay down).

Sleep was a big issue for me, and I do a lot of little things that may help:  I have blue-light filters on all my devices (though I rarely log off until bedtime), our room is mostly very dark (we do have a salt lamp, turned to the lowest light setting), I use earplugs (hubby snores!), I try very hard to avoid caffeine for at least two hours before bed, I have a concrete nighttime routine (some spiritual, some mundane...but there is an order).

I have found that Melatonin gummies work VERY well for me.  It actually started by me finding some PM painkillers in the clearance bin at the store.  I figured for a buck, I'd try them.  I've always been worried that things like that will mean I won't wake up when I need to (either for normal restroom activities, or for monthly concerns), though I'm not sure where that fear comes from as I have taken Nyquil when I need it and that more or less zonks me out, but I've never had issues waking when I needed too.

The first time I had a really bad headache at night (that was stopping me from sleeping), I tried it, and it was amazing.  It felt like I was being called to sleep (hard to describe, like I could still do things if I needed to, but as soon as I stopped doing stuff, I fell asleep...no thinking!)

I didn't want to take painkillers every night though, and some of the sleep aids suggest not taking them every night (which wouldn't really be helpful to me...my brain thinks all the time lol), but I had heard friends recommend Melatonin, so I decided to try it.

I am definitely a fan.  I get the same feeling of being called to sleep, my brain stops thinking, and I still am fully functional when I need to get up (but go right back to sleep when I lay down again...this is huge for me, before getting up in the night meant having to fight to sleep all over again).

I like the Vitafusion 3mg best (it's peach white tea flavor, and I think it's very tasty).  I've also tried the Amazon brand (Solimo, which is like a cherry flavor...it's more like fruit snack consistency then gummy and I'm not as big a fan of the flavor), but doesn't feel quite as effective to me...it works, and I've been using it when I couldn't get the Vitafusion, but I prefer Vitafusion.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »

Awesome, thank you!

One thing that helped was resetting my sleep patterns through sleep restriction.  It's not the easiest thing to do - you begin by limiting your time in bed to the actual time you've been sleeping each night and gradually increase the time spent in bed over a few weeks.

I have heard of this, now that you mention it - one of the few things I've not tried yet!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 02:26:25 pm »
I'm a highly overactive thinker, so getting my brain to 'shut down' enough for sleep is a struggle for me (compared to hubby who describes his process as "I just clear out my head, then I sleep"...and he's normally out within minutes of getting to bed *sigh).  I also have restless leg issues, need to get up quite a few times throughout the night to use the restroom (which normally means a few minutes of letting my heart rate return to normal once I lay down).

Sleep was a big issue for me, and I do a lot of little things that may help:  I have blue-light filters on all my devices (though I rarely log off until bedtime), our room is mostly very dark (we do have a salt lamp, turned to the lowest light setting), I use earplugs (hubby snores!), I try very hard to avoid caffeine for at least two hours before bed, I have a concrete nighttime routine (some spiritual, some mundane...but there is an order).

Oh yep, sympathise with all of this right down to the restless legs (which is wrongly named, because I also can get it in my arms, especially during bouts of insomnia).

I'm using f.lux on my laptop (now that it's gotten over it's little tantrum when I upgraded to Windows 10) and I'm using Blueless on my phone (which is an android) - I keep finding that Blueless shuts itself down at random intervals, though, which is highly annoying; I don't think it's very good, overall (though it was the one with the highest ratings on the app store).  You don't happen to have any recommendations for android, do you?

My doctors surgery told me no caffeine after 4pm (which is fair) and no screentime for 4 hours before bed -- which basically means shutting down my laptop when I finish work for the evening and then doing nothing except reading books all evening long!  So I find that one very difficult to stick to (I get aches from sitting reading too long, plus it takes more energy out of me than staring at the good ol' goggle box does) -- also, most of the exercise I do requires following along with a video on either my laptop or phone, and even my relaxation techniques require this too.

I like the Vitafusion 3mg best (it's peach white tea flavor, and I think it's very tasty).  I've also tried the Amazon brand (Solimo, which is like a cherry flavor...it's more like fruit snack consistency then gummy and I'm not as big a fan of the flavor), but doesn't feel quite as effective to me...it works, and I've been using it when I couldn't get the Vitafusion, but I prefer Vitafusion.

I'd been struggling to find melatonin over here; was considering asking for a prescription for it but I know not all doctors here like prescribing it (would have to check for drug interactions with other medications, too) -- now that you've given me some brand names to search for I'm going to try having another browse around to see if I can possibly get this, as I really want to try melatonin to see if it works for me.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 07:33:16 pm »

One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is having a specific lights-out routine.

I do read on my bed, from my laptop, right up until it's time for me to go to sleep. And then I have a specific set of steps I go through - kind of like a mini-ritual - to signal to myself that it's time to sleep. In my case it goes: computer off, brush teeth, nighttime prayer, glasses off and lights out. After that I'm usually asleep in 20 minutes or so (I don't keep track).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 01:11:01 pm »
One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is having a specific lights-out routine.

I do read on my bed, from my laptop, right up until it's time for me to go to sleep. And then I have a specific set of steps I go through - kind of like a mini-ritual - to signal to myself that it's time to sleep. In my case it goes: computer off, brush teeth, nighttime prayer, glasses off and lights out. After that I'm usually asleep in 20 minutes or so (I don't keep track).

Yep, I have my nighttime routine too, though I've modified it a bit now that hubby is home for the foreseeable future (because he's like "I'm ready for bed" then like one minute later he's laying in bed lol it's some kind of magic I don't know...)

My routine is:  refill my water cup (which goes in the fridge so it's nice and cold when I want it the next day), set up coffee pot (I now do this earlier in the evening...but still it's done so that neither of us have to think about it in the morning before we've had our coffee lol), check if the doors are locked (and I have a blessing I say at each door), bathroom stuff, put on chap stick, and get in bed (then earplugs when we are done talking and have said goodnight). 

I used to have more of a mental routine, but honestly the Melatonin saps my thinking so that when I close my eyes, I'm pretty much going to sleep, so I don't do all the nightly mental shutdown stuff I used to do, after getting in bed.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2020, 10:48:01 pm »

I know device use is one thing that needs to be reduced, but I will say that my Google Home minis have been tremendously helpful with my sleep routine. When I say Hey Google Goodnight, it goes through the routine that I programmed, which notably includes playing of thunderstorm sounds. Rain and thunder always puts me into a relaxed headspace, and this mostly works about 85 to 90% of the time. For that other 10 to 15%, I get out of bed, knit, read, or do some other activity (with a mug of Camomilla) and I am usually ready for sleep within 30 minutes.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 04:27:32 pm »
I have my nighttime routine too, though I've modified it a bit now that hubby is home for the foreseeable future (because he's like "I'm ready for bed" then like one minute later he's laying in bed lol it's some kind of magic I don't know...)

That's weird, I thought I'd already commented on this to sympathise, once again, as that's my husband too!

I try to have a routine, but it varies according to what things I actually remember on a given day, and also depends on whether or not my husband's made the decision to head to bed before me.

I know device use is one thing that needs to be reduced

I just ordered myself a set of blue-light reducing over-glasses I can wear after sundown in hopes of cancelling out some of the effects of device usage.

When I say Hey Google Goodnight, it goes through the routine that I programmed, which notably includes playing of thunderstorm sounds.

We just recently started having rain sounds playing overnight, as that's the one sound we both agreed we find relaxing.  I don't think it's doing anything to help me to sleep exactly (I'm hooked on guided meditations with positive affirmations, lately, so I'm sleeping with earbuds in and only noticing the rain sounds when the 3 hour track finishes and I wake (wish I could find an 8 hour one!)).  But it does seem to be helping my husband to sleep.  And that's not nothing, because it means I'm disturbing & waking him less when I move about, get up & down, cough, drop my book/knock my phone onto the floor etc etc.  And that then cuts down on the vicious circle of us taking turns disturbing one another at intervals throughout the night (or for portions of it, anyway).  So I'll take that, yes please, thank you very much.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: