collapse

Author Topic: Protection Spell  (Read 2454 times)

Child of Wolves

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Protection Spell
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:46:40 pm »
Ok so my best friend is having a pretty bad time with things lately and is having a lot of trouble sleeping. We're not entirely sure why but it's strange. So basically I just want to try doing a protection spell against negative spirits, energies, etc. on her however I have almost no experience with spells and am still very much a beginner. So, any suggestions or advice? Thanks :)

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Protection Spell
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 07:56:01 pm »
Quote from: Child of Wolves;130349
Ok so my best friend is having a pretty bad time with things lately and is having a lot of trouble sleeping. We're not entirely sure why but it's strange. So basically I just want to try doing a protection spell against negative spirits, energies, etc. on her however I have almost no experience with spells and am still very much a beginner. So, any suggestions or advice? Thanks :)

You might look in The Cauldron's Spell Grimoire. On the right hand side of the page you'll find a list of spell categories.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:18:33 am »

Is there a particular reason why you think negative spirits or energies external to your friend, that a protection spell would address, are a factor here? It seems to me more likely that her sleep difficulties can be attributed directly to the rough time she's having, and to worries about it.

So I would suggest looking instead at spells to help her sleep better - in the Spell Grimoire that Windshadow linked, you'll find those in the category 'dream spells'. They generally do have a protective component (because even when there's no specific external threat, it can make a big difference if the person feels safe), but are focused on what's likely to be the primary issue.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:19:21 am by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:45:27 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;130381
So I would suggest looking instead at spells to help her sleep better - in the Spell Grimoire that Windshadow linked, you'll find those in the category 'dream spells'.

You could also make a dream sachet.  Lavender & chamomile are good herbs to use.  They'd also make a great "sleepytime" tea.  

Also, your friend could look into various meditative exercises to help curb anxiety.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 01:00:24 pm »

Working on shielding also seems like a good idea.

Regarding your experience with spells: I'm almost finished with my revised edition of Spellcraft Secrets: the Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy. I'm HOPING the ebook will be available in the next few weeks.

As you seem a very sincere learner, I would like to gift you with a copy as soon as it's finished. Pm me and we can exchange details or contact me via my website (see my profile).
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Orion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:54:11 pm »

Magic can't work this way, or it very rarely does in the very least. You can't normally successfully do a spell for someone else because you won't want the result as bad as that person will want it since magic is all about the use of will through intellect, and you must want to bring about a change with all your being to the point of basically exhaustion from performing such ritual. Since you probably won't feel as strongly as her I would suggest you help guide her through a ritual, but it is something she will have to do on her own. This is just my own take though so take it for what it is worth. Speaking from experience I wouldn't want anyone doing a ritual for me.

Some things I will suggest for your friend is meditation, having her envision a white light surrounding her with a beam of white light descending down on her from the universe, lighting incense when she goes to sleep, playing religious music (pagan folk music is very good because it creates a positive subtle vibration), and in general strengthening her mind by exercising her brain to overcome anxiety, fear of the dark, whatever she thinks is bothering her. There is also a cleansing ritual she can do that is a shielding technique I learned at one point.

If you have any questions let me know and I hope your friend feels better. I dealt with anxieties and fears for a large portion of my life until I learned to confront them. A lot of times it is negative societal influences that cause the harm.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:14:18 am »
Quote from: Orion;134238
Magic can't work this way, or it very rarely does in the very least. You can't normally successfully do a spell for someone else because you won't want the result as bad as that person will want it since magic is all about the use of will through intellect, and you must want to bring about a change with all your being to the point of basically exhaustion from performing such ritual. Since you probably won't feel as strongly as her I would suggest you help guide her through a ritual, but it is something she will have to do on her own. This is just my own take though so take it for what it is worth. Speaking from experience I wouldn't want anyone doing a ritual for me.

I am a blacksmith. I've made knives out of iron and given them to people. However much a person wants a knife, they're not likely to get one through sheer force of will. Magic is about both will and skill, and if the OP has the skill, it makes sense to go to the expert. In many cultures it's perfectly common to go to a fortuneteller or a spellworker, just as you would a doctor or a lawyer, because they are skilled professionals.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 12:25:07 am »
Quote from: Jack;134256
I am a blacksmith. I've made knives out of iron and given them to people. However much a person wants a knife, they're not likely to get one through sheer force of will. Magic is about both will and skill, and if the OP has the skill, it makes sense to go to the expert. In many cultures it's perfectly common to go to a fortuneteller or a spellworker, just as you would a doctor or a lawyer, because they are skilled professionals.

Hooray for blacksmiths!

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 02:02:47 am »

YEAH! i heard too that its best to do spells for yourself but i always thought it sounded kinda iffy since not everyone can do magic very good. but this is a good point! the knife thing. and the caster can always find some kind of will for it. like the will to protect another person or the will to grant someones elses will. i said will so many times. will.

Orion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 03:27:37 pm »

You give knives to people, but those whom you have given to have to do something to the knife in order to make it their own, That is, of course, if we are still talking about the traditional view of things. I suppose the new way of doing things would be to take easy routes.

I tend to think differently, and part of my behavior is to do things on my own because that is what makes the act special. It is your own painting.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 03:41:28 pm »
Quote from: Orion;134301
if we are still talking about the traditional view of things. .

Which tradition? Where does it come from? How long has it been tradition? How do you know it's traditional?

There are many different ways of doing magic so to talk about "the traditional view of things" isn't very helpful unless you place it in a frame as well
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
Quote from: Orion;134301
You give knives to people, but those whom you have given to have to do something to the knife in order to make it their own, That is, of course, if we are still talking about the traditional view of things. I suppose the new way of doing things would be to take easy routes.

I tend to think differently, and part of my behavior is to do things on my own because that is what makes the act special. It is your own painting.

The 'new way'? I'd say there's more evidence for the oldschool way being to hire someone to do magic FOR you. I mean, there's quite a few traditions where that is the norm, you know?

I'm a huge fan of doing magic for yourself - it can be tailored more easily, certainly - but to use your metaphor, some people would rather get the painting done for them. That doesn't make it a bad painting.

Orion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 03:51:26 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;134303
The 'new way'? I'd say there's more evidence for the oldschool way being to hire someone to do magic FOR you. I mean, there's quite a few traditions where that is the norm, you know?

I'm a huge fan of doing magic for yourself - it can be tailored more easily, certainly - but to use your metaphor, some people would rather get the painting done for them. That doesn't make it a bad painting.

The painting is not your own then. The magic in magic is simply doing it.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 03:53:08 pm »
Quote from: Orion;134304
The painting is not your own then. The magic in magic is simply doing it.

But who cares? As long as it gets done? There are lots of things I would not do myself because someone else could do it better, why is magic any different?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Orion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 03:55:01 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;134305
But who cares? As long as it gets done? There are lots of things I would not do myself because someone else could do it better, why is magic any different?

I didn't say you had to care. There are no authorities in this culture we are involved in, but to say who cares kinds of boggles me. Why be the bitch of someone else when you can simply create a style that works for you???

Tags: