Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Thoughts on familiars  (Read 8872 times)

HandsInTheDirtAgain

• View Profile
Thoughts on familiars
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:18:13 pm »
Like it says in the title.... :)

Lunamoth

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.elewir.com
Re: Thoughts on familiars
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 02:24:40 pm »
Quote from: HandsInTheDirtAgain;129347

It's a term that has varied definitions depending on who you ask, what their tradition may be, and whether they believe in them.

(The query is a little vague. Sorry.)

HandsInTheDirtAgain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:21:34 am »
Quote from: Lunamoth;129353
It's a term that has varied definitions depending on who you ask, what their tradition may be, and whether they believe in them.

(The query is a little vague. Sorry.)

lol, well so was my question :P Thanks x

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:34:59 pm »

I don't believe that it's a creature given by the devil fed from my (nonexistent) third nipple.

My general understanding is probably common- an animal with a bond to a witch that works somehow as an amplifier or helper.

I am not sure they exist, though if they did I would love one. Seems like it would be odd, given that most pets these days are from some kind of shop or other, and though I use my intuition to pick stones I think will be powerful and such, I don't think the same can generally be done with pets, especially if the one that appeals to you isn't something you can care for. In the past, there were a lot more animals showing up on doorsteps than now, and it was easier for them to.

Of course, if (example) a crow flies onto my balcony and lights my candles for me, I will accept that as soon as I can close my dropped jaw.

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 04:37:34 pm »

Idk if familiars exists or not. If they do I'd like to think of one of my cats as one. I've had him since the day he was born and have always had a really strong connection with him. My dad likes to joke that the cat chose me.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:16:30 am »

Personally, I think that Familiars are another way of saying a pet that you're very close to, who also happen to have a little natural talent with energy. lol
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Kuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:31:54 pm »

I like to think of familiars as animals or even plants that you just have a deep connection with. Familiars aren't something everyone has needs, of course, and not every pet is going to be considered a familiar, at least not in my house.

My familiar was a cat I felt an almost psychic connection with, as silly as that sounds, but she passed away years ago. I can't consider the pets I have now familiars because although I love them, I don't feel that deep, deep connection with them like I did this one cat. I'm close to some of the plants I grow and what I believe to be their spirits, so I'm looking into plants as familiars.

I think even stones and other inanimate objects could be familiars if you had some sort of energy connection with the item.

Aeronis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »
Quote from: Kuu;131153
I like to think of familiars as animals or even plants that you just have a deep connection with. Familiars aren't something everyone has needs, of course, and not every pet is going to be considered a familiar, at least not in my house.

My familiar was a cat I felt an almost psychic connection with, as silly as that sounds, but she passed away years ago. I can't consider the pets I have now familiars because although I love them, I don't feel that deep, deep connection with them like I did this one cat. I'm close to some of the plants I grow and what I believe to be their spirits, so I'm looking into plants as familiars.

I think even stones and other inanimate objects could be familiars if you had some sort of energy connection with the item.

I agree with this answer, and would like to add that in my experience, familiars seem to lend energy to ritual and magic. My familiar (a cat) for example, sits in front of my altar and watches as I light my candles, etc. She's very well behaved. I know for a fact that my other cat (not my familiar) is very fond of knocking over candles.

Whenever I prepare for a ritual, she instinctively knows to come and sit in front of the altar. Also, she loves lying on books, and when I place my BOS down to begin, she never touches it. It's just a different feeling with my familiar than with another pet.

snowgoose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:47:40 pm »
Thoughts on Familiars............

I had an experience with a murder of crows for about three months........... each day for 12 weeks they came into my nut tree and as I sat on the front lawn they would come down and get closer and closer to me as if to say hey we need to chat a bit..... I sat still for hours and hours ( I was in between jobs at the time) I watched them learn and play,... each day one of the murder would push the limits and  sit so close to me I bet he could feel me breathe... I believe I learned from them patience.......... visualization and the fact that they will recognize a human face..... I  moved after being in the same home for 3 years and interacting with the crows .... I just went back to the area and  showed a friend my old house and one crow came so close and swooped down on us and made noise...... five or 6 crows flew over us and then they left...... do I choose to believe they recognized me yes I do..... I have pics on my FB page of the  crow its staring at me with huge intent. If I knew how to post more pics on here I so would I have many many to share.............

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 12:02:22 am »

I liked a point I read by Judika Illes and I'm just going to summarize it for fun here. Before modern day, resources were limited and normal people didn't keep pets just as pets. They were meat, dairy, guards, wool, etc. So an animal that was 'familiar' to a person (perhaps in the etymological way; familial like a relation) to a person was seen was odd, and people acting back at it even more odd. Unless you were rich enough to be 'eccentric' or have a menagerie for status, it was part of what labelled one as witchy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:38:04 pm by SunflowerP »

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 08:30:34 am »
Quote from: Lauren L.;132258
I agree with this answer, and would like to add that in my experience, familiars seem to lend energy to ritual and magic. My familiar (a cat) for example, sits in front of my altar and watches as I light my candles, etc. She's very well behaved. I know for a fact that my other cat (not my familiar) is very fond of knocking over candles.

Whenever I prepare for a ritual, she instinctively knows to come and sit in front of the altar. Also, she loves lying on books, and when I place my BOS down to begin, she never touches it. It's just a different feeling with my familiar than with another pet.

I am not sure I would count either of my cats as familiars, however I do find it interesting that Kali is very much 'my' cat...she follows me around to whatever room I am in, and always wants to lie down on me.

However our other cat, Shadow, is more likely to seek out my husband or son for attention...but always comes to lay on my lap when I do my morning meditations, and at night when I kneel to pray, she comes up and sits next to me (she doesn't sit next to me any other time when I sit or kneel on the ground, which is quite often).
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:41 pm »
Quote from: snowgoose;138682

A Reminder:
Hi, snowgoose,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:19:47 am »

In my experiences, I always used the term very loosely, but at the same time exclusively of cats. They're definitely a power animal for me. The mere sight of a cat - any cat - immediately catches my attention, in the same way that seeing any other animal, such as a dog or squirrel, or even a bird, does not. The only animal that has a similar effect on my consciousness is the butterfly, which has twice been a reminder of the sublime and the numinous during crises of faith.

My family has always had cats, and I've grown up surrounded by cats - usually quite a large number, as well, since our household seems to have a greater than usual ability to attract the abandoned individuals that are all too common where I live. We've had as many as 22 (when 3 intact females had litters AT THE SAME TIME - now our practice is neutering/spaying early and universally!). The highest number of cats we've had for any extended length of time was eight, but the more usual number has been five, give or take a cat.

Of the dozens of cats I've had the pleasure of knowing in my life, I've had the good fortune to form really close bonds with about 5, one of whom is still alive, and who still greets me happily when I come to visit. It's these cats I that have a really intense bond with that I consider "familiars."

I currently have two cats of my own, who both seem eager to help me with my rituals and my magic, but neither of whom seems to know quite how. They're both still kittens, so I'll give them some time yet.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

whiteorchid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:42 pm »

I think familiars are united to us by fate. Life brings them to us in one  form or another.
Until this day I have created very meaningful connections with only 3 pets, two of whom are now dead. The first one was a cat. After he died, a few months later, my cousin gave me two puppies, one of whom immediately got attached to me. I felt the same connection with her that I had with my cat. It was like the instant our eyes met, our souls connected. I knew in that moment that she was like a soulmate. She followed me everywhere, pretty much like my cat did. We were inseparable. Unfortunately she also passed away from a mysterious illness a few months after she came into my life.

At about that time I met my third familiar, also a dog, who is still alive and healthy. He almost died as well right when my second familiar became ill. Practically they got sick at the same time from different illnesses and this one survived. He's extremely loyal and loving with me.

i have another dog but even though I love her very much and she's very affectionate, i don't feel the same connection with her. I can connect telepathically with her better than with all of my other pets (when she was sick, I could feel her, when she gave birth in the middle of the night I woke up knowing this because I dreamt of her crying for me anxiously etc); we're very much connected. Yet I don't feel that she's my familiar.

I think a familiar gives you a very special kind energy. You feel like you're sharing a part of your soul with them. It's the kind of love and warmth you don't feel for a person. It's something totally different.

Oddly enough, I have the same feeling with one of my orchids (hence my username). It's strange, because someone mentioned plants. I never considered plants as familiars but I feel very much the same sort of connection with one of my plants LOL

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 03:04:54 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;138692

I think I might have a new familiar, maybe.

Slightly unnecessary backstory-
I have two mice I've bred against each other many times. I don't know too much about their genetics, other than that they're not at all related, but one (Ronnie) is black and the other (Annyong) recessive yellow. I'm assuming Ronnie also has a yellow parent, since they have r. yellow babies. Anyway, they've been bred against each other many times, the pairing has always given healthy babies in black, r.yellow with black eyes, and r.yellow with pink eyes. This time, I got all the usual colours and a bright lilac. Lilac isn't rare, but I also don't see it too often. I'm assuming the grandparents or something passed on the genes, but Annyong and Ronnie have never made one before.

Frontstory-
Suddenly I have an unusually coloured mouse. I can't yet tell if I feel bonded with her (or rather, I do, but it could just be a combination of loving her parents and her colour sticking out). She's genetically not something I expected and so far she seems both more interested in me than normal fuzzies and more solitary than baby or female mice usually are.

I'm excited at the possibilities. And even if she's not, I have a pretty new mouse.

Tags: