Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: If you were going away for a week, which stones/crystals would you take with you?  (Read 10316 times)

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
I would bring an amethyst, snowflake obsidian, lithium quartz, jade, and aquamarine. Maybe some red jasper, too.

Curious as to what others would bring!

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bear-craft;129271
I would bring an amethyst, snowflake obsidian, lithium quartz, jade, and aquamarine. Maybe some red jasper, too.

Pretty much the only one I travel with is my rose quartz
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: maybeimawitch;129272
Pretty much the only one I travel with is my rose quartz

And it's a lovely one indeed :)

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile

I never go anywhere without my Bloodstone.
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Nuummite

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

I often ask the crystals, if any of them wants to go with me. Then I slowly move my hand above them, and pay attention to how they feel. Do I feel a pull? Do my fingers tingle?

But I could also choose them after their qualities. I would take a nuummite because it feels very protective, and helps me have a better night's sleep. (Also: see my user name.) I would also take a bloodstone because I'm a cerebral person, and it helps to turn my attention to practical matters. I have also noticed its protective and grounding qualities.

I'm not into traveling with many crystals.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:55:10 am by Nuummite »

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile

I usually take/wear my garnet. It helps rev up my energy level.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile

It would depend on where I was going and what I was going to be doing there.  

When I recently traveled for work, I took my fire obsidian and smokey quartz (for repelling negativity), and blue moonstone (for calm), all in the form of pendants. I also had a choker of amber, black tourmaline, and rainbow obsidian with me (for protection and repelling negativity), but didn't need to wear it.  The work went very well.

But, since I was going to be staying in a hotel the entire time, I didn't want to leave crystals lying around when I wasn't there, so that's all I took in the way of stones.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile

I tend to use found stones, so I'd probably just find something that spoke to me in the place I'm visiting.

Brina

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile

Just the hagstone I always wear on a bracelet around my wrist. Other than that I will pick up some pebbles at my destination and use those if I need to.

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: yewberry;129354
I tend to use found stones, so I'd probably just find something that spoke to me in the place I'm visiting.

Brina

That is great! After reading some threads on the forum, I'm trying to be more conscious of where my stones come from and how their extraction affects the earth and the people who do it. I'm excited by the idea of finding my own stones. I hear that garnet is plentiful in the area I'll be in this weekend, so I hope to find some there!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bear-craft;129383
I'm excited by the idea of finding my own stones. I hear that garnet is plentiful in the area I'll be in this weekend, so I hope to find some there!

While there are many kinds of stones you can find on the surface of the earth -- often members of the quartz family (agates, jaspers, etc.) and especially in steam beds and similar places -- things like garnet are generally mined.  There are places where you can go to mines that are open to the public, where you buy a bucket of dirt that's been dug out of the side of a mountain or something like that (and often salted with stones to ensure that you find something, so be sure to check on that). You sit at a water sluice, wash your dirt in a screen, and pick through for the interesting stones (like garnets).   In the U.S., Franklin, North Carolina is home to many such mines.  I've collected some beautiful garnets and rubies there.  

But be aware that things like that still involve mining, albeit usually on a fairly small scale.  It's unlikely (although not completely impossible, depending on the specific geology of the location) that you'll find garnets just lying around on the ground, wherever you're going.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Aster Breo;129397
While there are many kinds of stones you can find on the surface of the earth -- often members of the quartz family (agates, jaspers, etc.) and especially in steam beds and similar places -- things like garnet are generally mined.  There are places where you can go to mines that are open to the public, where you buy a bucket of dirt that's been dug out of the side of a mountain or something like that (and often salted with stones to ensure that you find something, so be sure to check on that). You sit at a water sluice, wash your dirt in a screen, and pick through for the interesting stones (like garnets).   In the U.S., Franklin, North Carolina is home to many such mines.  I've collected some beautiful garnets and rubies there.  

But be aware that things like that still involve mining, albeit usually on a fairly small scale.  It's unlikely (although not completely impossible, depending on the specific geology of the location) that you'll find garnets just lying around on the ground, wherever you're going.

True, there is LOTS of commercial gem mining in and around Franklin (it is the gem capital of the world, after all). They're all salted. But there are also some sites that are closed to the public but will allow individuals to poke around (with permission). Garnet can occasionally be found on the ground, depending on where you are (I'm thinking of a specific spot on a specific mountain). There are some websites where people share their best secret rockhounding spots that don't require paying money OR trespassing! I agree that riverbeds are your best bet, though!

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile

I try not to travel with anything unnecessary because I tend to leave things in hotel rooms, or lose them in the airport, ect. However, I always wear an emerald and amethyst ring.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: Bear-craft;129383
That is great! After reading some threads on the forum, I'm trying to be more conscious of where my stones come from and how their extraction affects the earth and the people who do it. I'm excited by the idea of finding my own stones. I hear that garnet is plentiful in the area I'll be in this weekend, so I hope to find some there!

I kind of thought that what Brina meant - it's certainly what I would mean by the phrase 'found stones' - was that she'd go outside wherever she was and check out what was just lying there on the ground. Nothing fancy, just ordinary rocks, quite literally common as dirt - but perfectly capable of being useful in magical work, even though a lot of people don't think of it.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
My clear crystal point, jet, black tourmaline, rose quartz.

Tags: