Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: It's coming--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2013  (Read 6488 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
It's coming--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2013
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:11 am »
For those who may not be aware, we have an annual tradition here at The Cauldron of celebrating the December solstice--the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere--by staying up all night (or *trying* to stay up all night...or just visiting for part of the night!)

We gather here electronically to shoot the breeze, in chat and in a dedicated thread just for that purpose, and pass the hours passing around all kinds of craziness (stories, recipes--the infamous chocolate mug cake!--photos, links we've found, and generally how the solstice adventure is progressing in our locale). We usually pick a non-theme around which to loosely organize the event. Last year, with the Mayan deadline looming, was a no-brainer: apocalypse now!

But we need a non-theme for this year! Keep in mind this isn't anything set in stone; the night of the solstice, people share whatever they want (it's called a non-theme for a reason). But still, it's nice to have a jumping off point. So...

...who's got a great idea for the non-theme for 2013's edition of Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: It's coming--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:59:27 am »
Quote from: Altair;129180

...who's got a great idea for the non-theme for 2013's edition of Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice?

I just thought the other day about how it's soon time for this thread to show up. :D:

A non-theme, besides the food thing? Mmmh, not sure yet. But something will come up, it always does. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:07:24 am »
For those who may not be aware, we have an annual tradition here at The Cauldron of celebrating the December solstice--the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere--by staying up all night (or *trying* to stay up all night...or just visiting for part of the night!)

We gather here electronically to shoot the breeze, in chat and in a dedicated thread just for that purpose, and pass the hours passing around all kinds of craziness (stories, recipes--the infamous chocolate mug cake!--photos, links we've found, and generally how the solstice adventure is progressing in our locale). We usually pick a non-theme around which to loosely organize the event. Last year, with the Mayan deadline looming, was a no-brainer: apocalypse now!

But we need a non-theme for this year! Keep in mind this isn't anything set in stone; the night of the solstice, people share whatever they want (it's called a non-theme for a reason). But still, it's nice to have a jumping off point. So...

...I see your Winter Solstice, and raise you a Summer solstice!!

As far as a theme, all I can think of is various mug recipes.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:09 am »

Ummm, maybe something to do with the Higgs Boson (God Particle) scientists/predictors winning the noble prize in 2013? That is about as close to a non-theme I can think of. Me needy more coffee, sorry ;)
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:28:39 am »
Quote from: savvy;129187
...I see your Winter Solstice, and raise you a Summer solstice!!

An excellent point, Savvy; I should have mentioned that though we'll be celebrating the winter solstice here in the north, those south of the equator are equally welcome to join in the thread and torment those of us freezing our asses off with their tales of long days basking in the warmth and extended sunshine...not that I'm bitter, or anything... ;)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:31:16 am »
For those who may not be aware, we have an annual tradition here at The Cauldron of celebrating the December solstice--the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere--by staying up all night (or *trying* to stay up all night...or just visiting for part of the night!

How does this work for different time zones?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:49:08 am »

Sorry, no ideas for a non-theme. I just wanted to tell you how perfect your timing is. I woke up to snow this morning, and the first thing I thought about was TC's annual Up All Night.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 01:03:34 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;129194

That makes it all the better, because we get to see the sunset march across the globe!

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 01:09:08 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;129207
That makes it all the better, because we get to see the sunset march across the globe!

Or the darkness falling. ;)
I'm usually one of the first calling out the falling dusk.  :)
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 02:36:31 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;129194

Yeah, as Tana and Fierflye have already noted, that's one of the fun parts for many of us: Watching each member give the shoutout as darkness falls in their area, knowing that it's heading our way. (And for those of us who make it all the way through, hearing some of those same folks herald the return of the light.)

This will be a good year, too, since December 21 is a Saturday, giving folks all day Sunday to sleep off the all-nighter. So participation should be even greater than usual.

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 02:41:53 pm »
(stories, recipes--the infamous chocolate mug cake!--photos, links we've found, and generally how the solstice adventure is progressing in our locale)

I'm just going to put this here: Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 02:42:58 pm »

When I think of the winter solstice, I think of cold. How about cold (or hot, for those in the south)?
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 02:44:34 pm »
Quote from: Altair;129214

This will be a good year, too, since December 21 is a Saturday, giving folks all day Sunday to sleep off the all-nighter. So participation should be even greater than usual.

Oooohhhh, that's convenient!

As always, I will be joining in (being a nocturnal creature and all).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 02:45:11 pm »
Quote from: Altair;129214

Yeah, saw that, that's awesome. So my husband can participate, too, if he wants it.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 03:10:54 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;129216
I'm just going to put this here: Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake.

Satan sent you, didn't he!

Tags: