Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: land protection spell?  (Read 2769 times)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
land protection spell?
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:34:22 pm »
I live on a housing estate on the edge of a town in South Wales. Across the road from me is some woodland that is open to everybody. Unfortunately people often go up and dump their rubbish up there which is really bad for the environment and wildlife obviously. When my physical and mental health permits I go up there with a pair of sturdy gloves and a rubbish bag and clean up what I can but I can't do this as often as I would like or really often enough to make a difference.

There are practical things I'm going to do about this situation: Get in touch with the local environmental group, get the council to come and clean up if they will, make sure everyone knows when the bins get collected (I think this is a lot of the problem, people miss the bin collections and run out of space to put their rubbish)

But as well as all this I would like to do a land protection spell, not to keep people of the land but to stop them damaging it.

Not sure how to do this, I read up on witch bottles, and was thinking maybe something like this would work but with some tweaks - not using my body fluids because it's not my land, using natural things (brambles, rose thorns etc instead of nails, using protective herb blends.) But I'm also not sure about burying glass jars up there so maybe something biodegradable, like those  seed pots made from earth, or the bottom of pringles cans. I know this would mean I would have to replace them every couple of seasons but I'm okay with that

would be grateful if anyone else has any ideas on this?

The woodland  is mostly made up of Oak, Beech, Silver Birch, Hazel and Brambles if that's any use.
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: land protection spell?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 03:07:19 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;128832

There are practical things I'm going to do about this situation: Get in touch with the local environmental group, get the council to come and clean up if they will, make sure everyone knows when the bins get collected (I think this is a lot of the problem, people miss the bin collections and run out of space to put their rubbish)

We got to talking about this in chat, and I said I'd come put my comments in the thread, in case they're useful to anyone else in a similar situation.

My advice was as follows:  
1) Do the local activism things - get in touch with the local environmental group, the council, the local newspaper. Is there a hyper-local blog that can get the word out, or something like that?

2) See if there are local groups (scouting groups, schools with community service requirements, etc.) who might be willing to take it on. There may also be a program in the area for picking up litter/etc. where people can sign up for a particular space, and this could get added to that list.

3) See about supporting the local nature spirits with energy and functional resources - that means clearing stuff, but particularly in a way that allows the space to balance itself. (Nature's pretty good at that, if we don't interfere too much.) However, this is the kind of thing where locality matters a lot, so it's hard to advise something specific (besides paying close attention to what the land seems to want.)

4) It might also be possible to create an energetic encouragement for people to take care of the area, but doing that for a sizeable bit of public land is really complicated.

Ethically, because it means taking on ongoing stewardship of the land (a problem if you have to move away, or your life changes in ways that mean you have less energy to devote to it) and because any time you're manipulating other people, there's an ethics thing (even in this case, where the goals are pretty benign.)

But there's also a practical issue - how do you delineate the space, without risking people changing it on you (a charged stone could be picked up/moved/etc.) And are you going to be able to commit to tending to a sizeable space energetically for the long-term? (Which, probably, most people shouldn't - people move, people change jobs, people get chronic health stuff that affects how much they can maintain, etc.) Things where you can throw energy at it when you've got it, but don't make an ongoing debit on your life when you can't are probably a better idea.

The thing about witch bottles is that they're designed to protect a person, and that they're focused more on spiritual or energetic protection than physical. (So in this case, it's both the wrong tool - it won't fix the physical trash - and it's way too personal for a public space, because it's not *your* space.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: land protection spell?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 03:51:31 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;128832

would be grateful if anyone else has any ideas on this?

The woodland  is mostly made up of Oak, Beech, Silver Birch, Hazel and Brambles if that's any use.

I'd be  talking to the land wights myself.

It's a little different from your situation but there is a piece of land near me that has been sold for a new housing development. The village really doesn't need any more of the type of housing they are planning and we are all doing all the usual mundane things to try and stop it via the planning laws.

I have however been working with the local wights to alert them to the danger to their land and invoke their aid in getting the planning application thrown out. So far the developers have hit a number of unforeseen snags in their plans...

Tags: