Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Author Topic: College Online  (Read 9209 times)

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
College Online
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:42:31 pm »
Hey everyone,

So I made the announcement that I have gone back to college to earn a BA in Psychology. It took 5 days from the time they first called me until in was in my first class with full finanacial aid for the year.

I would like to know if anyone else is taking online courses and some of the problems (if any) they are having.

I seem to have a problem with the dropbox for assignments. (It's fancy email for written assignments) I'll attach my paper and submit the paper, but the instructor will email me and say that it didn't come thru.

It happened in Orientation once and now it happened in my first credit course. Also I didn't get the message from the professor until this morning, so now the paper is 3 days late. Hopefully the prof will take pity on me and let the lateness slide as he did see that I'd sent what I thought was my paper.

Other than that, everything's going fine.

Phouka

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: College Online
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:01:34 pm »
Quote from: Phouka;128667

I seem to have a problem with the dropbox for assignments. (It's fancy email for written assignments) I'll attach my paper and submit the paper, but the instructor will email me and say that it didn't come thru.

Not taking courses, but familiar with the software options.

It'd help if you could share what the actual engine is that they're using - there's a bunch of different course management software tools out there, and they all work a bit differently, even before you get into the individual settings of a particular school. (If you're not sure, and you're willing to PM me with the school you're at, I can dig around and see if I can figure out which it is.)

The usual things I suggest trying are:
1) Don't panic *too* much - tech issues like this are not uncommon, and most instructors can easily tell a good faith issue from someone trying to get an unofficial extension on their assignment.

2) Let your instructors know (now and at the beginning of next semester, unless you're sure the problem's solved) and see if there's a way for you to find out if it was submitted correctly on your own. (Depends on the software and system.) You're almost certainly not the only person having problems with it.

They may also accept something like an attachment in email as well as one through the automated system, just as a backup (to demonstrate you turned it in at the right time, etc.) Usually the automated system is preferable, because it makes their end easier for grading.

3) Check and see if there's a particular browser/etc. recommendation - some of the course management tools play better with one browser than with another.

4) There's *probably* some kind of librarian around though how this works with online schools varies a lot - they may have IM chat as an option, or you can email. They're often great sources for help on this because they know the institution software, who you can get other help from, etc. (Again, if you PM the school, I can figure out if there's other resources for you.)

Keep copies of things (on your computer, a USB stick, etc.) just in case, too. Backups are your friend. (When I was doing grad school and sometimes had online comments/etc. to make, I'd save them to a text file just before I hit submit, just in case something went wrong. It's a useful habit.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:09:40 pm »
I would like to know if anyone else is taking online courses and some of the problems (if any) they are having.

I'm currently taking online classes using Moodlerooms (and hating it with the blinding anger of a thousand suns) but I've used Blackboard in the past. At this point I've taken online classes for... five different schools?

What is the professor seeing come through, and what are you trying to attach?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:18:50 pm »
So I made the announcement that I have gone back to college to earn a BA in Psychology. It took 5 days from the time they first called me until in was in my first class with full finanacial aid for the year.

Me! After some research I decided to go to SNHU's all-online program, and I started my first classes last week.

Right now my only issues juggling my time management, which is pretty normal for me (and I think pretty normal for someone making a significant life/schedule change) and new situation jitters. The high of being enrolled again and being a real college student again has worn off, and now I'm in that "oh god what have I gotten myself into" period. I expect it'll wear off sometime this term, or maybe next, as I just accustomed to the routine and the work.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »
Hey everyone,

Phouka

I'm taking online courses via Blackboard. The only problem so far has been Bb going off line at the worst possible times. I've just started trying to get assignments done and submitted early. Doesn't always work out that way with all the family responsibilities, but I try.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:34:29 pm »
Hey everyone,

It happened in Orientation once and now it happened in my first credit course. Also I didn't get the message from the professor until this morning, so now the paper is 3 days late. Hopefully the prof will take pity on me and let the lateness slide as he did see that I'd sent what I thought was my paper.

Phouka

Dropbox has (or at least, had, when I used it) a function where you can have it send you a confirmation email that is timed and dated stating what file you attached to what dropbox and when. I would look into that. It's usually a tick box in the upload or submit page.

You could also drop your teacher an email after submission stating that you submitted it and asking for confirmation so you're not worried about it counting as late when it's not.

IT support should be able to help you out if all else fails. :)

I did a good amount of one of my degrees via online classes and the absolute best advice I can give is to simply ORGANIZE YOURSELF. Keep a calendar of what is due and when, and also what you will be studying or working on on each day in the meantime. Leave yourself a day or two between when the project should be completed and when it should be submitted (because real life happens). And just stick to it. Good luck!

dreamweaver

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 05:06:38 pm »
Hey everyone,

Phouka

I'm doing a psychology degree online as well. What I've mainly struggle with - and still sometimes struggle with - is properly organising my time, and motivating myself. Something I've found to be very helpful is to have a calendar on the wall of my room with all the deadlines for assignments. An online calendar would not work for me as I would just ignore it.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:02:49 pm »

I have issues with motivation in online courses, but I have issues with motivation in every course.

I suggest that if you follow all the already posted technical advice and still have issues, you should definitely start pasting the body of the text at the bottom of your email, with a note that the real one is attached, but the unformated text follows. That way, if it drops the attachment, they can still see you've done the work.

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 02:47:45 pm »
Quote from: Jack;128676
I'm currently taking online classes using Moodlerooms (and hating it with the blinding anger of a thousand suns) but I've used Blackboard in the past. At this point I've taken online classes for... five different schools?

What is the professor seeing come through, and what are you trying to attach?

The instructor doesn't get anything. It happened one in my English comp class. The prof told me there was no paper attached so I resent it immediately and now I check the attachment once I've finished attaching it.

Phouka

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 02:55:40 pm »
Quote from: Juni;128685
The high of being enrolled again and being a real college student again has worn off, and now I'm in that "oh god what have I gotten myself into" period. I expect it'll wear off sometime this term, or maybe next, as I just accustomed to the routine and the work.

Yeah, I went thru that in the 5 horrific weeks of my Algebra 'refresher' course. I'm over it now. I actually called my admissions advisor Michael and asked him what he'd gotten me into! I was calling one of my 3 advisors just about every day, but mostly Michel and Kelly my academing advisor. I had one of my friends to help me and at the public library one of the librarians was a math wiz.  Thank goodness they got me thru the damned class and I don't have any more algebra crap to do. I do have 3 more math classes but my advisor says they don't have algebra in them. I'm in my last week of English Comp 1, I've got an A and I just turned in my last written assignment. I still have one more discussion to do and post by tomorrow but that's a breeze.

My next class starts Thursday and is Intro to Psychology which is my major so I'm really looking forward to it. I'll keep y'all posted.

Pouka

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 03:00:48 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;129345

I did a good amount of one of my degrees via online classes and the absolute best advice I can give is to simply ORGANIZE YOURSELF. Keep a calendar of what is due and when, and also what you will be studying or working on on each day in the meantime. Leave yourself a day or two between when the project should be completed and when it should be submitted (because real life happens). And just stick to it. Good luck!

Yeah, I had to organize my time. I didn't have as many problems as other students because I don't have a husband or kids to worry about. I just had to set up times for the library. It gives me 3 hours a day online, so I do a lot of my writing at home and then revise it as I'm typing. I will be getting my own computer in another 2 months and then I will schedule time as needed.

I know that as I go on in my classes more and more writing will be needed and reading time too. All my texts have been online so far, but I was told by my academic advisor that hardcopy books will be sent to me after I get out of the first 2 years of 'core' classes.

Phouka

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 03:03:55 pm »
Quote from: dreamweaver;129361
I'm doing a psychology degree online as well. What I've mainly struggle with - and still sometimes struggle with - is properly organising my time, and motivating myself. Something I've found to be very helpful is to have a calendar on the wall of my room with all the deadlines for assignments. An online calendar would not work for me as I would just ignore it.

I have 3 calendars. Pocket calendar I keep with me, wall calendar and a small white board that I update every night.

I have to take into account my days where I babysit, doctors appointments, gym time, dog time, household time, and down time. The schedule is somewhat flexible so I adjust as needed.

Phouka

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 04:00:00 pm »
Quote from: Juni;128685
Me! After some research I decided to go to SNHU's all-online program, and I started my first classes last week.

Right now my only issues juggling my time management, which is pretty normal for me (and I think pretty normal for someone making a significant life/schedule change) and new situation jitters. The high of being enrolled again and being a real college student again has worn off, and now I'm in that "oh god what have I gotten myself into" period. I expect it'll wear off sometime this term, or maybe next, as I just accustomed to the routine and the work

Juni, I'd love to hear how SNHU is working out for you. I've contemplated enrolling with them at some point but the unknownness of it keeps me from wanting to try.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:05 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;142734
Juni, I'd love to hear how SNHU is working out for you. I've contemplated enrolling with them at some point but the unknownness of it keeps me from wanting to try.

It's going pretty well for me- the biggest drawback/downside thus far has been interacting with my classmates, honestly. I've been happy with the material and most of my professors. The pace is a little tricky, but they've just announced a change to the schedule to give some buffer time between terms, which I'm really looking forward to having. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them if I can!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 06:27:22 pm »
Quote from: Phouka;142727
My next class starts Thursday and is Intro to Psychology which is my major so I'm really looking forward to it. I'll keep y'all posted.

I enjoyed Intro to Psychology. It was the only Psychology class I took. It was a "lesser of evils" type choice, but I ended up really enjoying it.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: