Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Dan spomina na mrtve (Day of the Dead)  (Read 4287 times)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Dan spomina na mrtve (Day of the Dead)
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »
Seeing as it is the day where all the forums are in an uproar about who is doing what for Samhain, I figured I'd put down what I'm celebrating this week as my holidays are different. :)

The Friday occurring between October 25 & November 1 is the Festival of Mother Earth (which happens to be tomorrow). Basically, it's a day to celebrate the vegetables that the earth has granted us for the coming cold months. Personally, I have a vegetable and bean soup recipe that I'll be making and freezing a fair amount of for the next few months.

October 31st is known for a Slovene state holiday (Reformation Day) but it coincides with All Saint's Day (November 1st, aka "Day of the Dead"). Candles are left at the graves of passed loved ones over these two days and ancestors are honored at the table during the evening meal.

So basically, I am making a few big meals, honoring my ancestors, spending a little bit of time with my tree and giving it an offering, eating a lot of sweets and taking the time to acknowledge all that has happened over the past 12 months and tie up all my loose ends. Then I'm going to watch a lot of horror movies from the 1980's and 1990's with my hubby and thank my lucky stars I actually was able to get both today and tomorrow off work for the first time in 5 years.

So what are all of you Old Believers doing tonight? Share you traditions, or share what you would maybe be interested in beginning to add to your traditions. :) What I've listed is just my Slovene roots, I'd be interested to see what the other regions' traditionalists are planning.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dan spomina na mrtve (Day of the Dead)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:09:29 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;127730
So what are all of you Old Believers doing tonight? Share you traditions, or share what you would maybe be interested in beginning to add to your traditions. :) What I've listed is just my Slovene roots, I'd be interested to see what the other regions' traditionalists are planning.

I'm doing nothing tonight except cleaning house and cooking in preparation for my Dia de los Muertos party on Saturday.  Saturday afternoon is for altar set-up (my favorite part) and last-minute food prep.  That night there will be much feasting, tippling, and bon-firing.  :)

Brina

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:39:12 pm »

I'll be setting out an extra place tonight for my loved ones lost this year and lighting candles for them.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 03:34:52 am »

S's birthday is tomorrow, so that has been taking up most of my planning time. However, it's a family gathering with a bonfire, so I'm fairly certain that it will cover my needs. I make sure everyone is fed, and I will be putting out offerings when I have less inquisitive eyes around.
I usually end up doing something a little more formal on the 11th since it's one of my biannual secular ancestor days(new, not entirely certain stuff here).

It's a bit different for me given the hemisphere flip, but there are definite parallels. I can see myself bookmarking a few things mentioned around here to refer to in 6 months though.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:15:59 pm »
So what are all of you Old Believers doing tonight? Share you traditions, or share what you would maybe be interested in beginning to add to your traditions.

I have a number of Halloween traditions, I hope it's not too off topic to post them here.

On 31st October I like to wear some specific accessories.  I used to have a pair of colour changing earrings with witches on broomsticks flying across a crescent moon (but sadly left these in the swimming pool changing room a couple of years ago!)  Now I just have a pair of black earrings with a crescent moon and stars on.  I have a hair 'scrunchie' which was given to me which is made to look like a spider web with a black spider sat within it.  If I get time & remember in time I like to paint my fingernails black for the entire of Halloween week (I am particularly into those magnetic nail varnishes which come out patterned these days, my mum gets me lots of those as gifts).

For the last few years I have started at the beginning of October watching all of our Halloween or supernatural/horror themed DVDs, at least one a day (often whilst I am doing chores or browsing the web at the same time).  This includes things like Pixar's(?) Monster House and possibly certain fantasy films such as Dark Crystal and Labyrinth too.  (I don't know if I will get away with this again this year, though, because this means inflicting the same films once annually on my husband, and he normally prefers to leave a couple of years between viewings...  I suppose I could play them on my laptop with headphones.)

Most years I tell myself that I'd like to cook something harvest/Halloween themed so I usually spend time perusing websites listing recipes, although in reality I rarely ever get around to actually cooking anything (or can't find a recipe that's quick & simple enough, as I'm not a natural cook, in fact).

This year for the first time I intend to do something specifically Día de los Muertos related on 1 November, and have happily been able to book 2 November off work in preparedness, so I can still have a day to do chores/put my feet up before returning to work.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 06:25:55 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;180531
I have a number of Halloween traditions, I hope it's not too off topic to post them here.

Well, yeah, it is, because this thread is in a Special Interest Group forum for Baltic and Slavic Paganism.

The forum software we use doesn't make it easy to tell just where you are on TC; I'm guessing you found this thread via the 'similar threads' list at the bottom of another thread, and didn't notice it was in a SIG.

It's a good idea to keep in mind that the software won't make it obvious, and keep an eye out for that yourself. At the top of any page, just under the topbar menu, you'll see a string that shows what forum, subforum, and thread you're in, and the SIGs all have a 'SIG area warning' at the top of the right-hand sidebar - if you get in the habit of looking for things like that (it's also useful if you use the 'new posts' button for reading the forums), you'll be better able to choose the right place to make a post.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:15:34 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;180535
Well, yeah, it is, because this thread is in a Special Interest Group forum for Baltic and Slavic Paganism.

The forum software we use doesn't make it easy to tell just where you are on TC; I'm guessing you found this thread via the 'similar threads' list at the bottom of another thread, and didn't notice it was in a SIG.

It's a good idea to keep in mind that the software won't make it obvious, and keep an eye out for that yourself. At the top of any page, just under the topbar menu, you'll see a string that shows what forum, subforum, and thread you're in, and the SIGs all have a 'SIG area warning' at the top of the right-hand sidebar - if you get in the habit of looking for things like that (it's also useful if you use the 'new posts' button for reading the forums), you'll be better able to choose the right place to make a post.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

I did see that it was a SIG, but also saw that there were some replies from other people from other locations around the world so didn't realise that it would be unacceptable to post a reply.  I will in future refrain from posting in SIGs.  Please delete the above post and accept my apologies to all those concerned.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:17:43 am by Pickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: